Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Allstate declairs car a total loss.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats soo bad... It seems really fixable too... Sorry about your loss man...

If this helps... She was really pretty
Old 07-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Thnx everyone, yeah it sucks... im not emotional or anything but i didnt realize how much i would miss the stupid car until i found out i wasnt getting it back. Allstate is going to comp me for the car (which was in mint condition) so im looking at roughly 19k+... which will be enough to cover the loan on it since ive only had it since november. I think im gonna lay off the camaros for now, and wait for the new ones. I cant take anything off the car, and they are going to auction whats left. **My advice to everyone who loves their f-body: GET A DAILY DRIVER** The guy who did the work on the car doesnt understand what he did wrong, and doesnt speak english... Going to get a used jeep for now and patiently wait for the 09's so i can have my DD and protect my baby from houston traffic. I had a good list of kills in that car, cant wait to prowl the streets with the new
Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

My 2002 Camaro SS Convertible was totalled back in January. I also had Allstate. I had alot of SLP options that I had to make sure they figured in their calculations, for what they were going to give me for it. The car had 54,000 miles, the 345HP package, SS grill, Bilstein suspansion. They cut me a check for $21,800. When they give you the check, they'll tell you that you have 30 days from when they issue the check to find a comparable replacement, if you want them to pay for the sales tax, title, plate transfer - all that type of crap. I couldn't find another '02 SS Convert with the M6 (with the same or less miles) for that money, so I started looking for '02 WS6 Converts with the M6. I found a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Convertible (M6) for $22,000 with only about one week left on the 30 day time-limit. It doesn't have as many options on it, but it does have 20,000 fewer miles, so I figured that was as "comparable" as I was going to get. The sales tax on $22,000 is nothing to sneeze at (not to mention the other costs to get plates on it), so I snagged it and Allstate reimbursed me a pretty good sized check - I didn't want to leave that money "on the table". I know that you stated that you would probably not replace it with another Camaro, but you might be passing up quite a bit of money that Allstate is willing to reimburse you for.

When the adjuster contacts you with the dollar amount that they are going to pay you, make sure that you inform them of EVERY SINGLE OPTION that the car had (Traction Control, Hurst Shifter, EVERYTHING)! Since all of the '02 Camaros had the little plastic plate stating 35th anniversary, the adjustor mentioned, "oh, I saw that it was the 35th Anniversary Edition" - I didn't correct them - I wanted as much as they were willing to give!

Anyway, Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Nationwide and when I wrecked my 1999, the settlement included in the sales tax. They would not pay for non-factory options (i.e. high performance parts I installed). I bought my car back and parted it out to recover some of the value of my mods.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know if it is just for Illinois, but Allstate said that they couldn't legally sell the car back to me. Something about trying to combat insurance fraud - I don't get that part. I had a couple of PMs from people wanting me to buy it back so thay could buy parts off of it.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

always ~I said " ALWAYS " be represented by an attorney other wise just bend over & take it like a man. My 02 Z/28 Vert looks like yours & your story made me ill. She was a very very pretty lady.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

What the hell did that Bimmer dealer do!!!!!!!

Looks like they tried to take a regular Z and match it to the vert. None of the line match up. That hurts to look at. Sorry to here it.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Since when does a BMW dealership do collision repair on GM vehicles?

I would have taken it to a good body shop.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Teching In

This was my first accident and has been a huge learning experience for both me and my wife. I just wish it would have happen to a different car. The messed up thing is i tried to get my car taken out of that body shop after i noticed they broke the door fiberglass, and put dirty used car parts on the leather. When i pointed out the door the repair guy tried to tell me it happen in the accident. I took detailed pictures of the car before it was taken to the body shop so I was on the phone with allstate trying to get my car moved but they talked me into leaving it there. The whole deal has been frustrating to say the least. Allstate should be contacting me tomorrow. Ill post an update a.s.a.p.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont understand this image at all.

It seems like it it was repairable when it went in the shop and now all of a sudden its not repairable...the shop is at fault
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
[img]
It seems like it it was repairable when it went in the shop and now all of a sudden its not repairable...the shop is at fault

It was repairable and allstate recognizes the body shop is at fault.

****Update**** Allstate offered me $21,183. However im going to ask if they can throw in the 2 months worth of payments that the car sat at Momentum ~$900. I dont think this is to much to ask.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

i wouldnt even let them do that to my car.if i bought a car and found out this is what had been done to it.espiciall a $20,000 car-i would flip the **** out!
good luck on gettin that other 900$!!!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

The trunk pan hackery isn't a huge deal, but it looks like they possibly severed the frame rail and attempted to reweld on a chunk of a new frame? Ummm... that's why proper collision shops have frame jigs. I've done extensive totalled rear quarter replacements on two cars, and didn't hack together anything quite this bad, even using like 15 comealongs(sp?), a portapower, a sledge, and a front end loader to straighten the frame. But the dumb thing drove straight as an arrow.

That said... I wouldn't mind getting my hands on this car for a few grand and sticking it back together. Just wouldn't want to get whacked in the rear again...

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick

I dont understand this image at all.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't trust this car driving after this complete hack job was done. Even if its re-fixed.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slw ls1
That made me sick to my stomach just reading that. I can't imagnie how you feel. I probably would have some how gotten ahold of that damn illeagle and shipped his *** back in one piece if he cooperated or as many pieces as I needed if he didn't.
im sorry...but i TOTALLY agree with this guy. I live in Poteau Oklahoma A.K.A Little Mexico and them damn illegals have run me off the road more times then i can count.....the last time they did this i ripped my F**kin muffler off my 96 car....i say if you come here, get registerd, make it legal and for Gods Sake LEARN HOW TO DRIVE. Ive still got a little pent up anger, but thank god it wasnt as bad as this. i would have been PISSED
Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryanmh1
That said... I wouldn't mind getting my hands on this car for a few grand and sticking it back together. Just wouldn't want to get whacked in the rear again...

Allstate said they are going to ask $6500 for whats left.

Quick Reply: Allstate declairs car a total loss.....