Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

my 9" is slapping my floor board!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Default my 9" is slapping my floor board!!

Any one else have this problem? Before i broke the 10 bolt i was always getting this horrible sound on the 1-2 shift, bad clunking noise. I had replaced the torque arm mount like most people said. Well, it still happens. Me and a buddy were under the car one day after looking over to possibly see what it is. The damn torque arm bracket is actually hitting the car on really hard shifts and some bumps(very few) i have heard the noise also. You can easily see where it has been hitting, theres a nice shiny spot with a dent in the center. Could this be my shocks getting old? Will new ones help this? The car has got alot of miles, just over 100k. I thought the noise was my getting ready to break the 10 bolt, well its gone and it is still doing it. Some one with a 9" in a vert chime in here
Old 11-12-2007 | 07:56 AM
Launching!

Same problem here. Happens most often on a hard 1-2 shift or going over a railroad crossing under acceleration. Sounds really nasty. I have not gotten under mine but will be very interested in feedback from others that have resolved this.
Old 11-12-2007 | 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Its very common, everyone with a 9" will report the same problem.

Solution- Find where it is hitting the floor and take a large hammer and dent the floor/tunnel for "clearance".
Old 11-12-2007 | 05:13 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I wish I had 9 inches to slap on anything..

But UMI has the answer, just "adjust" your floor/tunnel for max clearance.
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ahhh the BFH mod... Big ******* Hammers Rule!!!!
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

lol my moser 12 bolt did the same thing it actually put a hole in my driveshaft tunnel. i have the umi chassis mount tq arm, and i always hear it hit.
Old 11-12-2007 | 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Most 9 inch tq arm mount brackets have 2 sets of holes, the inner most set need to be cut off and the tq arm will move over towards the center of the car parallel to the driveshaft. This will stop.

David
Old 11-13-2007 | 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Most 9 inch tq arm mount brackets have 2 sets of holes, the inner most set need to be cut off and the tq arm will move over towards the center of the car parallel to the driveshaft. This will stop.

David
Yes correct, however on the 9" you shouldn't need to cut the the outer holes off, it should slide into the inner holes (this depends on the brand 9"). On a 12-Bolt you need to cut the first set of holes off and slide it into the second set. This gets the rear of the torque arm away from the tunnel.

Also one thing to remember is most of you are running lowering springs. The lower the car goes the closer the torque arm will get the tunnel. On a stock height car our torque arms will lightly touch the tunnel area, after a few launches it clearances itself and there is no noise. But on a lowered car it will need clearanced more.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 11-13-2007 | 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

wow, its nice to hear i am not the only one. I was thinking it was possibly blown shocks. I have been getting this annoying squeak coming from back there ever since i put the 9" in. I was thinking it was the panhard rod, since i had to grind the damn thing down to fit the bracket on the new rear. I think the rod and the bushing is exactly the same length so maybe the rod is grinding on it? I dont know its pretty annoying tho
Old 11-13-2007 | 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by taws6m6
wow, its nice to hear i am not the only one. I was thinking it was possibly blown shocks. I have been getting this annoying squeak coming from back there ever since i put the 9" in. I was thinking it was the panhard rod, since i had to grind the damn thing down to fit the bracket on the new rear. I think the rod and the bushing is exactly the same length so maybe the rod is grinding on it? I dont know its pretty annoying tho
One thing I can suggest (if you don't already have one) is a adjustable panhard bar. This would allow you to center the rear under the car better and get the torque arm away from the tunnel area. When we install a 9" at the shop we always use adjustable control arms and a panhard bar to make sure it is good and center under there and it prevents a lot of problems. Your problem with the panhard bar is common as well, Moser mounts are tight and we have to spread them out.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 11-15-2007 | 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

is my rear off center using the stock stuff?
Old 11-15-2007 | 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by taws6m6
is my rear off center using the stock stuff?
Most likely it is, from factory the rear ends are usually a 1/2" off
Old 11-15-2007 | 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Its very common, everyone with a 9" will report the same problem.

Solution- Find where it is hitting the floor and take a large hammer and dent the floor/tunnel for "clearance".
This is the same solution moser gave to me when I called them about top bolt where torque arm mounts to rear hitting up in the tunnel.
Old 11-18-2007 | 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast
20 Year Member

i used to have the same problem
thats why i tape it to my leg now.............................

sorry i had to

Quick Reply: my 9" is slapping my floor board!!