Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Help i feel like a retard!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help i feel like a retard!

Ok i am trying to pull the motor on a 02 z06, i keep reading about dropping the rear end, do they mean pull the exaust, and the transmission to deal with the torque tube? i am not a retard, but there are 2 bolts on the bell housing that are killing me, i cant figure out how to get em out. i have no power tools and i swear i want to kick this thing. i have looked at a detailed how to on like some cajun dudes webpage or something, but this part was kinda vauge. i am trying to pull it out of the top. the shortblock has no heads on it, (took those off hoping it was the head bangin) now i just need a little help, and its off to the machine shop. thank you for any help
Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scrapecc
Ok i am trying to pull the motor on a 02 z06, i keep reading about dropping the rear end, do they mean pull the exaust, and the transmission to deal with the torque tube? i am not a retard, but there are 2 bolts on the bell housing that are killing me, i cant figure out how to get em out. i have no power tools and i swear i want to kick this thing. i have looked at a detailed how to on like some cajun dudes webpage or something, but this part was kinda vauge. i am trying to pull it out of the top. the shortblock has no heads on it, (took those off hoping it was the head bangin) now i just need a little help, and its off to the machine shop. thank you for any help
You'll need to remove the bolts holding the torque tube to the bell housing.

To get the upper bolts of the bell housing off you would need a long extention and short swivel 13mm socket.

By now you should have dropped the exhaust, the tunnel cover and provided some sort of support under the torque tube.

Hopefully you have removed the radiator etc and all of the wiring harnesses. I would pull the drive line first and then the motor as that is an easier route and install it all at one shot.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you, i just dont want to take apart more than i have to.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

FYI you can pull the motor out the top by droping the front cradle down a few inches. You can leave the rest of the driveline in place.

Most shops these days are pulling the entire driveline out in one piece by seperating it from the body/chassis. Reverse from what they do at the plant when mfg the car.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you, i just dont want to take apart more than i have to.
From my personal experience it's a lot easier to drop the entire drive train out.

I converted my vette from an auto to six-speed and then from a coupe to a hardtop.

Trying to align the torque tube back up will be a pain in the **** and is easier when everything is outside the car from my experience.

While you're there throw in a remote bleeder for your clutch.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

this is all good to hear. i am pumped about the motor, afr 225s 427 bottom end fast 90/90 green top injectors i am hoping it will be a n/a screamer!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this is all good to hear. i am pumped about the motor, afr 225s 427 bottom end fast 90/90 green top injectors i am hoping it will be a n/a screamer!
Sounds like it will be a screamer.

I'm doing a LS3 (416) forged, with twin turbos myself. Going to drop the entire drive line as it will make the install much easier.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

I know which 2 bolts your are talking about on the bellhousing. When I did mine, it took 2 of us to get those out, and that was turning in 1/4 turn before flipping wrench. Absolutely no way to get socket on it. As for the cradle, you might can get motor out from the top by lowering cradle, but it would be real close. I just dropped the cradle completly and it made it much easier. Good news, it will come out.

Can't wait to see some #s on the new motor - . Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Help i feel like a retard!