Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Day One Observations, Curiosities - 2008 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCHammer
If I put a C5Z into a wall I would be sick for tearing up such a good looking car!
$20K into a wall versus $50+K is a little easier to recover from psychologically.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I hope I'm not also highjacking the thread, I'm just looking to get into a C6Z

I'm selling my GTO, which is slammed, cam'ed and procharged to 540whp, so it's no slug anymore. Handles very well with the suspension, so I'm wonder if selling it to move to a C5Z would just be an even, (or lesser trade)

I think the C6Z, you just can't ignore the performance for price
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Launching!

No doubt about it, these C6Zs are where its at. Hopefully in 2-3 years I will join the Z06 club.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Thumbs down

I just bought a new 2008 Z06 a couple of weeks ago and traded in my 2006 coupe, so your thread interested me when it came up on a Google search. I raced Corvettes back in the mid-60's ('65 1/2 396/425 and '67 427/435). I fell out of love with the intervening styles and didn't own another until buying the 2006. Love the C6 style and totally loved the car. Had it three years and thought I'd check out what kind of deals were available with GM having their problems. I stopped by the dealer not really intending to buy and drove the Z06 out of the showroom ($63,500 with an MSRP of $79,100).

Your observations were the same as mine, although mine did come with a cargo net (which I use all the time). I just passed 500 miles, so I haven't really put my foot in it yet, but enough to see a night and day difference with my 2006. I'm hearing the noise you mentioned and intend to check that out when I take it in for my first oil change next week.

Thanks again for your post; it was very helpful.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LOSNSUX
I just bought a new 2008 Z06 a couple of weeks ago and traded in my 2006 coupe, so your thread interested me when it came up on a Google search. I raced Corvettes back in the mid-60's ('65 1/2 396/425 and '67 427/435). I fell out of love with the intervening styles and didn't own another until buying the 2006. Love the C6 style and totally loved the car. Had it three years and thought I'd check out what kind of deals were available with GM having their problems. I stopped by the dealer not really intending to buy and drove the Z06 out of the showroom ($63,500 with an MSRP of $79,100).

Your observations were the same as mine, although mine did come with a cargo net (which I use all the time). I just passed 500 miles, so I haven't really put my foot in it yet, but enough to see a night and day difference with my 2006. I'm hearing the noise you mentioned and intend to check that out when I take it in for my first oil change next week.

Thanks again for your post; it was very helpful.
Let me know what you find out. I haven't taken mine in for any service yet. I did get the service history pulled, and a couple of items came up from when it had 1001 miles, but neither complaint was duplicated. One was electrical and one was chassis, so I suspect the original owner heard the same thing I am. It must be normal if this car had these unusual noises since it was new. I just attribute it to the aluminum chassis that wasn't on my 2006.

And you're welcome. You're going to love your car (well, not when it's cooler like it has been lately, but I see you're in SD, so you shouldn't have that problem as often ). If the temperatures drop below 65 degrees, this thing acts like it's trying to accelerate on an oil slick.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

nice car congrats and be careful
Old 01-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CySevans
Let me know what you find out. I haven't taken mine in for any service yet. I did get the service history pulled, and a couple of items came up from when it had 1001 miles, but neither complaint was duplicated. One was electrical and one was chassis, so I suspect the original owner heard the same thing I am. It must be normal if this car had these unusual noises since it was new. I just attribute it to the aluminum chassis that wasn't on my 2006.

And you're welcome. You're going to love your car (well, not when it's cooler like it has been lately, but I see you're in SD, so you shouldn't have that problem as often ). If the temperatures drop below 65 degrees, this thing acts like it's trying to accelerate on an oil slick.
I did a little research on my sound which I would describe as an intermittent clicking sound from the passenger side; it sounds like it's coming from the dash/firewall area. Turns out it's dry sump oil pump. The O-ring needs to be replaced. Have the mechanic check TSB 08-06-01-019.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

I did a little research on my sound which I would describe as an intermittent clicking sound from the passenger side; it sounds like it's coming from the dash/firewall area. Turns out it's dry sump oil pump. The O-ring needs to be replaced. Have the mechanic check TSB 08-06-01-019.
Thanks. Yes, I saw your response on the "other" forum. I'll check it out.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CySevans
Thanks. Yes, I saw your response on the "other" forum. I'll check it out.
Just to close the loop on this, I picked my car up from the dealer this morning and the problem was, in fact, the O-ring on the dry sump pump. The noise is gone. I hope getting rid of your noise is that easy for you.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Just to close the loop on this, I picked my car up from the dealer this morning and the problem was, in fact, the O-ring on the dry sump pump. The noise is gone. I hope getting rid of your noise is that easy for you.

Thats great of you to keep us updated like this. Thanks, even though I don't have one yet, now I will know what the noise is when I get it.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

There are a few here in my area 06's heading down into the low 40 high 30 range. Alot of car for not much bank.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Nice car Vince and congrats!! Tell Kim and Chris I said Hello!!!!

Mine makes 552 whp/ 500 ft/tq with a cam only.

I will installing an A&A kit soon for 700+ rwhp soon...

Last edited by BADZ; 02-10-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
I hope I'm not also highjacking the thread, I'm just looking to get into a C6Z

I'm selling my GTO, which is slammed, cam'ed and procharged to 540whp, so it's no slug anymore. Handles very well with the suspension, so I'm wonder if selling it to move to a C5Z would just be an even, (or lesser trade)

I think the C6Z, you just can't ignore the performance for price
With bolt-ons / headers / cam a C6 z06 will make 540rwhp on motor alone.

Go test drive a C6Z and C5Z if you can. The handling from a GTO / F-bodies to vettes is such a huge leap.

If money is a concern you can pick up new blower kits for ~$5.5k for C5s. Most of them with a big enough head unit will make 600rwhp+.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADZ
Nice car Vince and congrats!! Tell Kim and Chris I said Hello!!!!

Mine makes 552 whp/ 500 ft/tq with a cam only.

I will installing an A&A kit soon for 700+ rwhp soon...
Thanks.

I can't believe it been almost 9 years since we first started terrorizing the Beltway. So much has changed. I've gone through four cars already.

And I will. You should drop them a line yourself. They're starting to miss the old days, too.

I am getting the mod bug, but I really need to hold back because the car already scares the crap out of my wife. I took her on a 0-100 wide-open sprint over the weekend. Now she doesn't want to drive it at all. "It's all you," she says. Okay! No problem!

Your setup sounds sick (in a good way).

Not sure I will go all out when I do mod. I like the thought of forced induction, but when I think about all of the other modifications required to keep the motor and drivetrain from exploding, it can get quickly out of hand. I am thinking just headers, CAI and tune. The rest I plan to put into suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, and track readiness (seat, harness, harness bar, etc.). I want to preserve the powertrain warranty as best as possible until I shake it down on a few HPDE events. If that sump lets loose, I don't want to eat the cost of an LS7. I will definitely do the GM retrofit of the LS9 sump setup once available. This is the last "weekend toy" car I am planning to buy for at least 10-15 years, so everything I do to it must be carefully planned so as not to destroy it. Who knows. Maybe in 20 years, these will be among the highly sought after muscle cars. Might as well keep it in good condition and limit the customizations to bolt-ons.

And I need to stabilize the power that's already in it. It felt a bit light at 150MPH (don't ask when/where ). It needs more downforce. It will get a full width rear spoiler, front/side splitters, different shocks (not coilovers) and a slight rake to make it stick better. I am also considering a vented hood.

The fun in the Trans Am went down dramatically after I went past bolt-ons and dropped in the cam. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I strongly believe you can over mod and take the fun out of the car where you spend more time fixing it than driving it. The C6Z is a hell of a lot of fun just as it sits in stock form. I'm not in a hurry.

Last edited by CySevans; 02-11-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

I understand what your saying Vince. I got use to mine before I wanted more. First thing I did removed the run craps (tires) and added better rubber to the ground. Do not regret at all. It hooks way better. I added the full clear bra everywhere I thought chips would occur as Corvettes of Houston referred me right opposite of them on the otherside of 45 and he was really good installing it. We had 2 Z's done there so he gave us 75 off each car. I bought the ZR1 spoiler painted blk and installed it myself. Looks fantastic!!!! I still want to lower it on the stock bolts but have not had time just yet. I will soon. All my install of the bolt ons and cam was done in LA. I just had a good feeling about those guy's "RAGIN RACIN" and they are making very good progress on their cams and drivability with tune is un-questionable in my opinion. I have 13 degrees overlap in the cam and it has a slight chop but the sound is perfect. Idles like stock. I plan on throwing a T-TRIM on it soon and run very low boost 6-7lbs to make 700+ rwhp but we will see how it pans out. I want to build another ls7 forged shortblock just to have on hand.

We will see but the car in stock formation is incredible!!!! Have fun and enjoy bro!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Lucky bastards
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BADZ
I understand what your saying Vince. I got use to mine before I wanted more. First thing I did removed the run craps (tires) and added better rubber to the ground. Do not regret at all. It hooks way better. I added the full clear bra everywhere I thought chips would occur as Corvettes of Houston referred me right opposite of them on the otherside of 45 and he was really good installing it. We had 2 Z's done there so he gave us 75 off each car. I bought the ZR1 spoiler painted blk and installed it myself. Looks fantastic!!!! I still want to lower it on the stock bolts but have not had time just yet. I will soon. All my install of the bolt ons and cam was done in LA. I just had a good feeling about those guy's "RAGIN RACIN" and they are making very good progress on their cams and drivability with tune is un-questionable in my opinion. I have 13 degrees overlap in the cam and it has a slight chop but the sound is perfect. Idles like stock. I plan on throwing a T-TRIM on it soon and run very low boost 6-7lbs to make 700+ rwhp but we will see how it pans out. I want to build another ls7 forged shortblock just to have on hand.

We will see but the car in stock formation is incredible!!!! Have fun and enjoy bro!!!!

Glad you are enjoying that LETHAL Cam Jeff. I'd like to see more guys from houston coming over here to get that 550rwhp package.

Quick Reply: Day One Observations, Curiosities - 2008 Z06