Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

clutch help, not in choosing new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch help, not in choosing new clutch

This is not another help me pick my clutch thread; I went out to my garage to change the clutch fluid on my 03 Z06 using the old turkey baster and shop towels method cause my clutch fuid was nasty and I don't have a remote bleeder yet. Sucked it out and cleaned the slave cylinder with the shop towels, topped off the fluid and got into the car to pump the clutch pedal. I have heard some occasional popping of a spring when the pedal was pressed to the floor, well tonight that spring fell out as soon as the clutch pedal was pressed the first time. It was mildly coated with grease, and one of the ends was cracked, and one of the coils was cracked as well. So I need to replace it obviously, but I can't see where the spring fell off of. The pedal comes right back up, it doesn't go to the floor and stay there. I don't want to drive it until I get this spring replaced, but where is the new one going to connect?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the spring that fell out about the size of a valve spring?
If it is it is just one of the springs on the clutch disc that takes up shock, if you take it easy on the ride to a shop you should be fine. Plus there is no way for you to replace the spring without pulling the pressure plate. So you will have to nurse it over the a shop and go to work.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

If the spring on the pedal fell out it is not needed. I removed mine a long time ago, and have been driving ever since.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

it sounds like the pedal assist spring. It makes the clutch pedal pressure lighter for the old guys with bad knees. It is not needed. I prefer the pedal feel without the spring.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Launching!

The spring fell of of the pedal from under the dash. It's got a cuple of wierd hooks on it. Looks like it probably hooked to the pedal and something else.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by farmdawg
The spring fell of of the pedal from under the dash. It's got a cuple of wierd hooks on it. Looks like it probably hooked to the pedal and something else.
Yea, it sits in there kind of funny. Not to mention it is hard to get back in as well. You can run without it though.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Alright, thanks.

Quick Reply: clutch help, not in choosing new clutch