Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

this might be a dumb question but............

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default this might be a dumb question but............

ok i just got my first vette about a month ago and one of my front turn signals went out. to replace this do i have to take off the front bumper or is there an easier or way to do it. the only reason i ask is because i was told you have to take off the bumper
Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

No, you don't have to remove the bumper. What year is it?

If it's a C5:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._2001_Corvette
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

its a 98 sorry i left that out
Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the link btw
Old 01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default Important!

If it's actually one of the yellow running lights (that stay lit up when you're driving around) you must change it ASAP.

If you drive around for an extended period (or a week or two of normal driving) the socket will melt and you'll have to splice in a new one.

If you can't get around to changing the bulb, the only other option is to go into the big fuse box under the hood (by the battery) and pull fuse #2.

That will deactivate the daytime running lights while still allowing your signals to work. Keep in mind those same daytime running lights including a burnt out bulb will be on at night while using your headlights....

p.s. congrats on getting your 'Vette.

p.p.s. If you really have a mullet I'd like to see a picture.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

its a turn signal running lights still work, haha no i dont have a mullet i made that name when i got my first camaro ss and everybody called me mr mullet
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, if your not afraid of a little bit of pain...and can(in a non dick headed way) understand what I am saying, you could do this easily, within a minute or two.

On my car, what I do is, left or right side bulb goes out, I lay on the ground in front of the car, take the BRAKE duct(the black opening under the DRL/BLINKER LENSE).... and push that down,.... go ahead, it won't break. Push it down, and out of the way. You do not need to remove the duct at all.

Now, reach in,...yes, it is very very tight,...and hurts me every time I do it but, i'll gladly deal with it for a minute or so,...to save myself time ( jacking up my extremely low vette, removing the front wheel/loosing the screws on the front of the inner fender, and reaching it like that).

So, again, oush the brake duct down, stick your hand in there,...reach around, it should be very close,...grab the light,...press in the quick release, and turn counter clockwise, one half a turn. Pull the BLUB AND HARNESS OUT TOGETHER, do not undue the connector, untill you have the bulb and socket on plane site. Change your bulb, carefull, don't push the new one in too hard,...I had one break on me once,..and it hurts like a bitch.

The harder part, for me is putting the new on in, plugged in( I have tried it unplugged, it's worse). Once locked in,..pull the brake duct back up in place,...and your good to go.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Peace

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: this might be a dumb question but............