Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What mods to get with $3000 for a 03 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What mods to get with $3000 for a 03 Z06?

My father has just rescently bought a 03 Z06 and is looking for some more hp. He drives it as much as possible and will not drag it a lot(maybe once or twice a year)so it must remain streetable and reliable enough to drive it year round. Now, that being said, he is looking for the most hp he can get just incase he was to come across another Z06 on the road it will not be a problem for him to beat it. And one more thing, there can not be anyone who sees the car know it has anything done to it. Anyone who does not know about cars that is. So it cannot be abnoxiously loud, cannot thump or shake and must retain stock appearance.

Any of you experts out that can help, this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for the time
Jess
Old 10-17-2003, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: What mods to get with $3000 for a 03 Z06?

I'd probably put in something like Thunder Racings old man cam, LG headers and leave the heads and exhaust stock.

Eric
Old 10-17-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

vara. intake, full borla exhaust(not stingers) and a nos kit.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Eric, what size is the old man cam? Does it sound stock or lope pretty bad? Hp gains?

Well, the nitrous is out of the question for the fact that the bottle can't be hidden. The car has to appear stock and sound as close to stock as can be. The deal is, my mother can't know anything has been done, so she can't see anything. She does not look under the hood so there is no problem in modifying that department. My father was going to get the Corsa exhaust but he likes the sound of the stock mufflers so that stays. He does like the sound of the gains with the vararam so he will probably get that one.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

the old man cam sounds stock but makes great power, you might wanna look at the MT1 Stealth II cam that is putting down impressive numbers also. LT Heads and the cam woul dmake the biggest difference.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Well, the nitrous is out of the question for the fact that the bottle can't be hidden.
The two compartments in the rear will hold two 2.5lb bottles, and never be seen.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Launching!

MTI stealth cam 224/220 .581 116 lsa sounds like what your dad wants along with some headers ...

I've got flp headers/high flow cats and x pipe and the car pretty much sounds quiet as stock..

I'm using the stock titanium catback as for the most part they perform as good as any aftermarket unit.. IMHO..

Hard to believe your dad with a new Z06 wants to go crack into the motor....for more power...

The cars pretty dam fast right out of the box and usually takes the owner at least a year or so to get the need for more speed...

Actually..thinking about it...swapping out the 3.42 for 3.90 gears over at cartek for a grand installed would probably be an awesome mod and it barely affects the warranty on the car..

Suggest the gearing done..3.90's are an awesome mod..and its only a grand installed..(inexpensive for corvette products) and the best pricing I've ever seen.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Bring the car in..for tpis headers...high flow cats..and the 3.90 gears..and he's good to go..

One of the guys over at z06 vette.com got the 3.90 gearing...and headers and knocked out 12 flats with 122 mph traps down at englishtown...and thats without even cracking the motor..

122 in the traps with just gears/headers and any air filter..and I think it was like the guys second time to the track with the car..

122 mph pretty much stock...Does your dad really need to crack the motor and blow the engines warranty?

The rear gear still keeps the warranty intact for rest of the car..

The headers pretty much just blow the catalytic convertor warranty coverage..

I'm sure your dads a cool guy..

Good luck in whatever both he and you decide on..

JB
Old 10-19-2003, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

JB, you are right. Me and my dad got to talking about it the other day and even though he is on the quest for more power, he does not want to do anything right now to void that warranty. So what he will do is boltons for now but later on he will want something more (he is never satisfied, like me) so we will look into it more as the warranty starts to expire of run out of boltons.

How much did the headers, high flow cats, and x-pipe help out? How much difference could you tell by just driving it? I have heard the X-pipe quietens it down but does it give it anymore power? What about the throttle body? How much does it help, or would it be worth changing? Anything else you can think of?

Hate to be a bother, but I would love to make my dad happy with his quest for more hp just to see the smile on his face. This is his dream car and he has finally got one but now he wants to make it HIS, not just another Z06 on the road made by GM if you know what I meen.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Teching In

3.90 rear axle and a nitrous system
Old 10-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Launching!

I would just go with a cam upgrade with some headers and tuning and be done with it. That will hold him off from the average Z06 owners out there
Old 10-20-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Start Small with a nice intake (Blackwing, Halltech TRAP, Vararam) and a dyno tune. Then I would go with little stuff like a ported TB. The next big ticket would be LT headers (I like LGM), keep the stock catback to keep sound down for mom. At this point you should make around 390RWHP, then you could add a stealth cam and be done. (I would leave the heads alone). All IMHO

Quick Reply: What mods to get with $3000 for a 03 Z06?