Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Help Please!! Trouble starting my 1999 C5!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!! Trouble starting my 1999 C5!

I just purchased a 1999 C5 coupe. AFter having it for a couple of weeks I started having an issue with the vehicle not starting. I turn the key and nothing happens but if I wait a few minutes it will start without an issue. I think it has something to do with the security system. Since I purchased it the key fob hasn't worked. When I reprogrammed the fob it would lock / unlock the doors but after a few minutes it wouldn't work again. Anyone have this problem before?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The concern with the vehicle locking/unlocking i would search on corvette forum for-i think its either the fobs or the BCM or something not functioning properly. I dont think your starting issue is due to that but its worth a shot to help eliminate that possibilty.

When you turn the key... nothing happens? No cranking, no clicking, you dont even hear the fuel pump turn on behind you? Do some basic things like checking to be sure both battery terminals are tight. If it doesnt crank and its a stick car try kicking your clutch down hard a couple times to see if the clutch switch is functioning. If you try to start your car with the clutch out it wont really do anything. Try using a different key if you can. Could be a loose ground but not sure how that could work then not work unless it arks itself away and then you try again and it makes contact. Good luck and keep us informed of what works and doesnt someone will figure this out for you so you're happy with your new found passion.

Bruce
Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

i had the very same problem when i got my 99 frc i thought it might be the bcm, vats,,or maybe that i had the valet key since it didn't open the center console. the car would start just fine when i first got it but then the problem got worse untill it got wrecked. i only had the car for 3 weeks but im sure when i get it back the problem will still be there