Nitto or Toyo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

according to tire rack, this car has
245/40/ZR18 front
285/35/ZR19 rear

RA1 doesn't come in that size, or at least the rear.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I thought the INVO's sucked on a 520 wheel horsepower car from a dig style launch. They were'nt bad but,..they weren't at all good. Thats my opinion. Would not put them on my car, unless I had a for sure back up drag radial or another tire mounted RA1.

I think the RA1's are the ****. You cannot compair the INVO and the RA1 together. The RA1 is serious traction. Invo,..made if your sub 500 or less. They look cool.

R888's are badass.....although more expensive The RA1's are more then enough.
I definitely hear you on this. When I put them on, I was 100% stock. Now I have added a Vararam and a tune and am putting close to 470+ to the wheels, and they are already starting to break loose in first, and a little in second. I plan to add headers and complete wide-band tuning for close to 500 at the wheels, so these Invos will start to feel a bit slippery. This is why I was looking at the NT-05. For a street car, though, comfort, better traction (compared to stock runflats), decent wet weather traction, the Invos work well, but I will most definitely have a different set of wheels/tires for track days.

Have you looked at the NT-05s? How do they compare to the RA1s?

Good stuff. Keep it coming. I'm learning new stuff, too.

And there is no question the Invos look good. I love the stance and the tread pattern.

Last edited by CySevans; 04-05-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

I am running RA1's in the rear and there awesome compared to any street tire I have ran.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah I double checked last night, the RA1's don't come in the size for the rears...
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

I put T1R's on last summer for $9 and change.

I think they're great.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

any advice since the RA1's don't come in the rear sizes?

555R II's might be nice, but i think the only nitto in the stock size are the Invo's.

the rears are 285/35/19 I believe.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

can I run a slightly wider tire on that rim, maybe I'll find more results?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Toyo and Nitto's are manufactured by the same company. Toyo offers a limited few sizes in 19" in their R888's.

Yoo should go onto their sites and check what the recommended rim width is for whatever tire you choose.

The wider the rim the less center bulge and better tire contact patch area.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

These are the stock 19" rims, I just didn't know if i could go with a wider with tire, or stick with the factory 285, then I only have the choice of Nitto Invos, and no Toyos
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
These are the stock 19" rims, I just didn't know if i could go with a wider with tire, or stick with the factory 285, then I only have the choice of Nitto Invos, and no Toyos
What size rim width ? Look at below link and click on specifications. It gives you rim width range for the size of tire you choose.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888
Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=CySevans;11378056]I definitely hear you on this. When I put them on, I was 100% stock. Now I have added a Vararam and a tune and am putting close to 470+ to the wheels, and they are already starting to break loose in first, and a little in second. I plan to add headers and complete wide-band tuning for close to 500 at the wheels, so these Invos will start to feel a bit slippery. This is why I was looking at the NT-05. For a street car, though, comfort, better traction (compared to stock runflats), decent wet weather traction, the Invos work well, but I will most definitely have a different set of wheels/tires for track days.

Have you looked at the NT-05s? How do they compare to the RA1s?

Good stuff. Keep it coming. I'm learning new stuff, too.

And there is no question the Invos look good. I love the stance and the tread pattern.

QUOTE]

Good looking car. Also, food for thought, my buddy hear at work and forum member, pastvertical,...we just installed some brand new invo's last night on his car, a 430rwhp C5 Z06,....and like you, has traction issues. Were going to the track tonight,he's riding up on the invo's, and making a pass or two,...then we'll bolt on the 17 inch mickies for some real numbers.

I did runa 10.5 inch Z06 wheel for a while,....and I think I had some 305's on there. Looked great,...filled up nicely. Obviously your tires are way oversized in compraison but, I don't see how they'd be good for you(invos) unless, like you said, its just for daily and moderate power.

I have not tried the new nittos but, I have heard good things about them(nt-o5). I'd be more then willing to try them, as nitto drag radials, 305's, work well for me on a 35mph roll on the street.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Good looking car. Also, food for thought, my buddy hear at work and forum member, pastvertical,...we just installed some brand new invo's last night on his car, a 430rwhp C5 Z06,....and like you, has traction issues. Were going to the track tonight,he's riding up on the invo's, and making a pass or two,...then we'll bolt on the 17 inch mickies for some real numbers.

I did runa 10.5 inch Z06 wheel for a while,....and I think I had some 305's on there. Looked great,...filled up nicely. Obviously your tires are way oversized in compraison but, I don't see how they'd be good for you(invos) unless, like you said, its just for daily and moderate power.

I have not tried the new nittos but, I have heard good things about them(nt-o5). I'd be more then willing to try them, as nitto drag radials, 305's, work well for me on a 35mph roll on the street.
Thanks.

But I feel a bit better about the Invos now because as the weather gets warmer, they're starting to grab much better. And I saw a guy yesterday at a local tuner who was running an LSX Corvette C6 with over 900rwhp running the same size Invos as I have, so they can't be all that bad. I've only put about 500 miles on them, so I'll reserve judgement until after summer.

I'm running 345-30-19 on the rear.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

i've got moderate power...just 730

I haven't seen any bashing on the Invo's really
Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CySevans
Thanks.

But I feel a bit better about the Invos now because as the weather gets warmer, they're starting to grab much better. And I saw a guy yesterday at a local tuner who was running an LSX Corvette C6 with over 900rwhp running the same size Invos as I have, so they can't be all that bad. I've only put about 500 miles on them, so I'll reserve judgement until after summer.

I'm running 345-30-19 on the rear.

just got back from the track. i never put the et streets on, because surprise surprise, the invo's hooked hard... all night.. did not spin off the line. then again i did not leave too hard. best 60 foot was 1.80 .. and that was leaving at 2000 and rolling into it. tires are great. bring them down to 25 psi.. 5 second burnout.. .... would of came out harder and also used my et streets.. but was having clutch issues of some sort.. .. did not want to break it. . ya know.. and the track is freaking great.. (palm beach .. south fla)... ..beware soft sidewall.. loose feeling out back at 90
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

well I just got home from my 8 hour drive with my new vette

those run flats are no match for the 730rwhp! lol (no surprise)

I don't want anything to sticky, as it's cheaper and easier to replace tires than half shalfs lol
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pastvertical
just got back from the track. i never put the et streets on, because surprise surprise, the invo's hooked hard... all night.. did not spin off the line. then again i did not leave too hard. best 60 foot was 1.80 .. and that was leaving at 2000 and rolling into it. tires are great. bring them down to 25 psi.. 5 second burnout.. .... would of came out harder and also used my et streets.. but was having clutch issues of some sort.. .. did not want to break it. . ya know.. and the track is freaking great.. (palm beach .. south fla)... ..beware soft sidewall.. loose feeling out back at 90

Good thing you've got a good launch coach.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

what about Kumho Ecsta SPT??

their pretty cheap!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Good thing you've got a good launch coach.
hmm. good thing you have a good life coach..
Old 04-12-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
well I just got home from my 8 hour drive with my new vette
So you sprang for it after all.

those run flats are no match for the 730rwhp! lol (no surprise)

I don't want anything to sticky, as it's cheaper and easier to replace tires than half shalfs lol
19" rims have limited options. You can cram the R888s on the stock rims.

For a sticky tire on stock rims, your choices come down to:
R888
Kumho XS
Invos
Michelin PS2

Your first mod really needs to be 18x11 rims and nitto r555 IIs or similar tire. If you can't put the power to the ground, your car is only good for racing Supras from a roll above 100 mph. You'll get chewed up around town by NA guys who can launch their car.

I'm getting tires and I'm in the same boat as you. I'll still have 19s but at 11" wide I can go wider, but 18" rims provide the best options.

The R888's are great if I don't spend much time in the rain with them but they don't last. I don't mind only getting 6000 miles from them as long as I don't hydroplane into a guardrail during a pop-up T-storm.

The PS2s are the best daily driver tire but are $$$. Saw a Viper run 10s them with a skilled driver, but they won't hold up to your power level.

Almost everyone reports that Invos are better than stock, but you have massively more power than stock. They may work for me, but aren't enough help for you.

Only heard a little about the Kumhos. They sound encouraging but no 305s for me.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

stick with the 285 width?

I got on it a little today, boy it's fun lol

I don't think anything shy of a ET Street will keep me from spinning...but I guess that's okay...probably go with the Invos, as they seem to be good all the way around.

Quick Reply: Nitto or Toyo?