Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

what is involved with install of new bcm on c5

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is involved with install of new bcm on c5

i have 98 c5 with 99+pcm upgrade that has hp tune.do i have to save tune before i reflash bcm?or will this not hurt or mess up my tune.also do i stay with 98 year or keep the same as pcm year?thanks,andy
Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

BCM does not affect PCM I have replaced 2 of them. What it does affect is your security. I bought used bcm and had to relearn the security codes from the ignition key on both. On one I had to have the dealer reflash the bcm because of the active handling option that was on bcm that the car did not have. I stuck with "98 bcm I think there may be differences between the years but don't know.

Tell me about the upgraded PCM... I also have a '98 and have thought of this but never heard anything about it..
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JVetthead
BCM does not affect PCM I have replaced 2 of them. What it does affect is your security. I bought used bcm and had to relearn the security codes from the ignition key on both. On one I had to have the dealer reflash the bcm because of the active handling option that was on bcm that the car did not have. I stuck with "98 bcm I think there may be differences between the years but don't know.

Tell me about the upgraded PCM... I also have a '98 and have thought of this but never heard anything about it..
im new to c5,i have 2000 fbody.but from what i can tell pcm is more user friendly for tuning with big mods.you can look up[ efi alchemy ] and go to tech db.find98-02 pcm into 97-98 corvette.good write up that should explain better.but i have heard from others why do that its all the same.so that makes me wonder what are the pros & cons of doing this?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

When I installed an LS7 in my road race car I wanted to run the larger LS7 maf but my tuner said my PCM was not fast enuf to run it so had to use the older smaller MAF.. That would be the main reason for a later pcm for me...

Quick Reply: what is involved with install of new bcm on c5