Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Allngn_c5 returns to Milan for a little Revenge, and got it, well sorta...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allngn_c5 returns to Milan for a little Revenge, and got it, well sorta...

As the title eludes to, I went back to Milan for a little revenge. I took all the good advice given to me and did my best to utilize it for better times. First off the temps were in the upper 70's, and lots of humidity. Track prep was much better this time. Highlight of the visit was my first successful burnout !! A lot of people remembered the week before when I was stalling her when attempting to do a burn out, they came over after my run and said its about time you heated those tires man !!! Good job !! All I could say is thanks. Thanks to everyone for the good tips. Now lets get to the numbers shall we.....

These are the best(s) of the night, and all but one (trap) are on the same run
60 foot 1.9430
330 foot 5.0700
1/8 mile ET 7.6219 @ 95.77 MPH
1000 foot ET 9.7699 @ 111.93 MPH
1/4 mile ET 11.5922 @124.21 MPH

124.31 MPH was the best TRAP of the evening, and it was on a different run. All my best(s) of the night were on the same ticket other then the slightly higher trap. Air temps were still upper 70's with lots of humidity, so with better air the trap would've been even better then last weeks 126.72 I'd like to speculate. I'd love to see how she'd have done with a nice burnout and 59* air! Didn't have the low 60's high 50's temps that we had last week when the sun went down. All in all I am very happy with the visit, except one thing: my Exedy Twin Plate clutch is slipping !! The ride home I was taking it very easy on her and she didn't get any better even after cooling down. At least I made it home. At any rate, I think I am done with drag racing and will stick to the street doing top speed runs. Less likely to break stuff. One last noteworthy comment, I played around with air pressure from 30 on down to 21. Car seemed happy at 24 psi with a 5 second burnout in second gear. Nittos need heat just like everyone said they did. Everyone keep there fingers crossed that after the car has had a chance to sit overnight and cool completely that the clutch decides to start grabbing. I know thats about as likely as a snowballs chance of survival on the sun but its worth a try. Thanks to everyone for the constructive criticisms from last weeks performance, and all the good advice. There is a huge difference in the way the car feels cutting 1.9xx vs 2.2xx 60's!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time you run, you will get better at some part of the process. Clutch is probably toast. They may do a re-build on it cheaper than buying a new one.
You need some 40 degree air.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks a lot Pitt. Like you told me man, get those Nittos hot and they will hook a lot better. I got them hot, they hooked better, and now all thats left to do is practice the actual launch. I've got my burnout down, and my shifting is better, but the launch is still a work in progress. Now with the clutch being hurt, I don't think I'll be able to participate in any of the TNT's with 40* air. Even though I hurt the clutch and will need to replace it, I am very happy that I can finally do a proper burnout without stalling the car and embarrasing myself. Last week I trapped 126.72 mph in much better air, this week I ET'd 4 tenths better. If I could put those two runs together I'd be able to show what this car could really do.

Talking with Ron this morning, we are speculating that a slipping clutch may have had quite a bit to do with the MPH in my 1/8 and 1/4 TRAPS. I thought it was tire spin, and some of it was, but some of it was most likely clutch slippage. So after a rebuild or a new clutch (RPS Street twin if I have to go new) I may or may not give her another try if the conditions are good. Not sure if I can do it this year or not. I got the cash, but I'd rather spend it on something other then my car. Its been a very expensive year.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt that the clutch hurt your mph if it's as bad as you said. It may have even hurt you last week....you just couldn't feel it.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Nice run.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pittman
No doubt that the clutch hurt your mph if it's as bad as you said. It may have even hurt you last week....you just couldn't feel it.
That's what Ron and I were talking about this morning. So in good air and a slipping clutch my 126.72 could've easily been a good bit faster. I just figured it was a traction issue with the cold tires since I was picking up so many MPH in the second 1/8th. Now I am thinking some of the spin was actually clutch slippage. Not sure how many miles on the Exedy Twin, but its over 18 K, and less then 28K. Not good, but considering the abuse this thing has taken not too bad either.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

You can definitely get those 60' times down to 1.7's even with those Nitto's. Are you still on the stock clutch or just a tired aftermarket one? Do you have an adjustable MC?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

how were you launching it this time? what rpm? get a new clutch and get back out there....you need to dump those shitty 342s...unless you plan on trapping 145 in the 1/4
Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
You can definitely get those 60' times down to 1.7's even with those Nitto's. Are you still on the stock clutch or just a tired aftermarket one? Do you have an adjustable MC?
Yes to an adjustable MC. Tired aftermarket apparently. Exedy twin plate. I think she was slipping last week once she got hot, and I mistook that for wheel spin.

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
how were you launching it this time? what rpm? get a new clutch and get back out there....you need to dump those shitty 342s...unless you plan on trapping 145 in the 1/4

5 second burnout in 2nd gear. Tires were hot and sticky. Wow what a difference! Tried 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, and 5000. 5000 spun a lot more but believe it or not actually yielded one my 1.9xx 60's. 4000 was about the best, 3000 with the tires sticky caused her to bog a bit. As far as swapping gears KURTOMAC I have to remind you that this is a street car and I prefer to run on the top end. Got a nice little group up here and we are all members of the 200 mph club. Going to the track with this car is a bonus. I think cutting 4 tenths of a second of my ET in one weeks time shows this car has a lot more in her with a clutch that isn't slipping. Driver Mod is everything. I am not sure how much more I can drive the car to, maybe 11.2xx, I don't think I can 60 well enough to get any lower. Thanks for your comments man.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice overall improvements. As you stated the weather wasn't the best form a performance standpoint. Get that clutch replaced when the funds allow and return to the strip for some real drag racing. You'll enjoy the drag racing thing once you get a good handle on the various techniques required,burn outs,launches,ect,ect.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my RAM dual was about $300 for the rebuild.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Nice running! I know it's not the #'s you want yet but that's a good drop in et from your last trip down the 1320. Get your clutch and go after it again.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the positive comments this week and all the suggestions and tips on doing burnouts last week. I think I've got my burnout down. Not perfect, but its working. Too bad the clutch let go and started slipping pretty bad. If I am able to get her back to the track in good air and I nail my launch after a good burnout then I am sure quite a few people are going to be surprised. Last week was a good indication of what this car can do in good air, even with a shitty launch/60 time. So add a good burnout to a good launch with cool dry air and she's very low 11's, maybe , I mean maybe 10.99x

Thanks to all
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice time man. I would like to get down to the track this year and see what times I can produce with my new build. I definitely can relate to it being an expensive year though.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dutchman427
Nice time man. I would like to get down to the track this year and see what times I can produce with my new build. I definitely can relate to it being an expensive year though.
Thanks !!

Your setup should be good for 10's man !! Best of luck, and please post up when you hit the track !!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you. It would be nice. With practice it should definitely not be a problem. I would love to hit 10s on the factory ZR1s. My home track is Maple Grove Raceway. You have to wait 2-3 hours between runs usually. Organization down there is none existent it seems a lot of times. You really cannot get the feel of the car. Do you have a drag set-up on your car Doug? I am talking about wheel and tire combo?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

NO drag pack. Just Nitto 555 R's Drag extreme 305 35r18's I believe and stock suspension w/z51 option. The car seemed to hook best and was happiest at 24 psi cold. Hooked nice, and felt stable on the big end too.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is what I thought. I was just wondering.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

congrats on the new times and trap speed doug.

did you happen to get any on video?

sorry to hear about your clutch. Contact exedy on the cost of a rebuild. honestly, if its going to be alot cheaper then a new one, and you dont really do much drag racing, is there really a need to spend 1000+ on another new clutch? how often do you plan on hooking up like that?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey John (spectre86) !! Too bad the mph wouldn't have been better but there were 2 things working against me, 1) Mother nature, and 2) slipping twin plate.

I really think had I been able to do good burnouts last week while the clutch was still holding, or so I thought, I'd have put a much better ET with that "near" 127 mph trap I had. Very strange to pick up 33-34 mph on the big end, when most cars are gaining 25-28. Ron and I are speculating that with a new clutch once its broken in properly I should be able to cut 1.7xx's and get my et to the low 11's and with good air or a better driver 10's are totally possible. Even on Nittos 555r "drag extreme" tires.

Almost forgot, on the clutch issue: I'd rather have a little too much then not quite enough.

Quick Reply: Allngn_c5 returns to Milan for a little Revenge, and got it, well sorta...