Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

trade my trans am for c5, is this worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, im kind of second guessing it now. I might still check it out in person real good and go from there but defiantly dont plan to rush into it. I got all my performance parts up for sale though and plan to put my car up for sale and just try to save up for a c5. any one interested in buying a 99 trans am? lol
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Do not trade, you will regret it. My previous car was a 2000 SS with a bunch of performance mods and it was a piece of junk and it didn't even have a rebuild title. It looked nice but the person who worked on it was a monkey with a wrench. Be careful buying a car with mods and not knowing who worked on it. I only had that car for a year and sold it to buy the stock c5 FRC I currently drive. I did the mods myself so I knew it was done right. The c5 is a better car hands down but I would definatly keep your fbody. Just wait for a nice looking stock c5, best decision I've made.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The C5 is obviously the better car not to mention that it's a heck of a lot quicker H/C than your stock f-bod. That being said as mentioned the 90K mile rebuilt title brings the value down a good bit compared with your current car. Also the fact that the seller might be suspect would be another negative. For me the biggest turnoff is the fact that it's an auto. There's no way I could go from an M6 f-bod or M6 vette to an auto. Unless you've driven an auto sports car before then I would seriously think that over more. Nothing against autos (they're great for the strip) but I LOVE having total control over my trans.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Looks like your going for it ... good luck with your new vette! Sometimes vettes make you do crazy things ... I know the feeling.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE!

just thought that I would update everyone thats replied to this thread and have given me some advice. I have decided NOT to trade for this vette. I have my car up for sale and am just going to sell it and save up my money and buy a nice clean title c5 and of course 6 speed (i really cant do an auto lol, to boring for me). I already have a few people contact me about the car, and at $8500 it shouldnt last long! thanks every one
Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Jones
UPDATE!

just thought that I would update everyone thats replied to this thread and have given me some advice. I have decided NOT to trade for this vette. I have my car up for sale and am just going to sell it and save up my money and buy a nice clean title c5 and of course 6 speed (i really cant do an auto lol, to boring for me). I already have a few people contact me about the car, and at $8500 it shouldnt last long! thanks every one
Good decision.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

the deal smells like low tide where i live stinky.save your money and get a clean c-5 and dont be afraid of the a-4 tranny certainly if you want to track car havent broken any drivetrain parts to date in mine and have 488 rw check corvette forum in performance section pg 1 of sticky performance results. 4 of 5 cars running in tens na stock bottom end ls-1 are autos
Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a 2002 WS6 to a 2002 Z06. Best decision I've ever made.

But I don't know about buying a pre-modded C5. I would buy a mostly stock C5 if I were you.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

the deal smells like low tide where i live stinky.save your money and get a clean c-5 and dont be afraid of the a-4 tranny certainly if you want to track car havent broken any drivetrain parts to date in mine and have 488 rw check corvette forum in performance section pg 1 of sticky performance results. 4 of 5 cars running in tens na stock bottom end ls-1 are autos
yeah im not going for this deal, im just going to save my money and get a nice clean c5. I know the autos are fast, especially on the track, but I just like the feel of the 6 speed, much more fun imo. drop the clutch and get side ways or ripping through the gears on the highway lol
Old 11-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by D.Jones
yeah im not going for this deal, im just going to save my money and get a nice clean c5. I know the autos are fast, especially on the track, but I just like the feel of the 6 speed, much more fun imo. drop the clutch and get side ways or ripping through the gears on the highway lol
the shifting is cool but with my right hand free i can usually put it somewhere it doesnt belong on the lady sitting next to me , or change a cd or do this to a slower car usually a stick
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Black8Banger
Trading your Trans Am for a C5....great idea
Trading your Trans Am for THAT C5....ehhh I dont know.

That C5 has a rebuilt title...not something I would go for. Also, its Auto...another thing I wouldnt want, esp coming from a m6 fbody.

As far as difference in the vehicles in general, the C5 is better.
The rebuilt title on this c5 would steer me away. Then again the value of both cars is probably crap. Fbodys and C5s (non-FRC/Z06s) have low values so I guess it doesnt make much of a difference.
Perfectly stated..
Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paint it black vette
the shifting is cool but with my right hand free i can usually put it somewhere it doesnt belong on the lady sitting next to me , or change a cd or do this to a slower car usually a stick
Both of my cars are manuals with CD players and [sometimes] good looking girls in the passenger seats. I have no problem changing CDs, feeling thighs, giving the finger, drinking coffee, or anything else for that matter with my right hand while driving.

Honestly, it's not like your hand needs to be on the shifter at all times cause once you're going, you don't need to shift anymore unless you really want to. And on a T56, it's only 10 seconds (or less) before you're in 6th gear.

IMO, you can't beat the funnability of a manual.

Quick Reply: trade my trans am for c5, is this worth it???