C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

02 SS to 01 C5... time for mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 SS to 01 C5... time for mods

Hey Corvette Performance,

On thanksgiving I woke up to find my Camaro SS stolen and wrecked. Needless to say, I lost my appetite that day and didnt fill up on too much pie.

Recently, Insurance has cut me a check and I ran down to the local dealer and bought a White 2001 corvette C5 FRC with 123,000 for 12,500 out the door.

I have so far been pleased with this car in every aspect, except for its straight line performance.

Practically one of the first things I did was line up next to my friend who just got an 06 GTO with a 6.0 and was really dissapointed that I only could hold him off til 100 from a dig, and than he would pass me pretty good, and from any sort of roll races he would murder me.

Time to mod up, I suspect my car must have 2.73's or some sort of 2.XX gear ratio gears, and they have to go. IDK how to ID this tho.

I have a friend who tuned my SS with HP tuners. Does that sound like another good starting mod?

Basically, my Q's are did I do ok on the price, does it sound right I got spanked so hard by a GOAT, and would gears/tune be a good starting point?

I look forward to exploring the corvette world, its all sorts of new and fun.

Thanks fellas

Pat

Also,

Are the electrical systems in your cars crazy too? My blinkers will decide when they want to work or not (when they dont work I have to mess with the hazard lights to get them back), and my DTC display is always telling me I have low RR tire pressure, which is wrong. Thx
Old 01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Depends on what type of budget and skill level your on. If you can afford gears then they will of course be a huge improvment over the stock 2 series carrier that you have now, but gears and install for an IRS rear are pricey. If your budget is anything like mine I would start swapping ZO6 and used aftermarket stuff into the car. An LS6 intake, LT's and Ti exhaust (or aftermarket if you want sound) would help and are always readily available on here and the corvette forum for pretty cheap. Vararam makes the best CAI for the C5 and don't forget the air bridge and silicone couplers like the previous owner of my car did. Skill level comes into play when you consider a set of 243 heads and '02 and up ZO6 cam or an aftermarket cam. After you've done some mods HP tuners is a great way to optimize and gain some hidden hp. If you get your vette inhaling and exhaling with some of the mods I've listed above I have no doubts you'll be yanking that GOAT, especially past 100 :thumbs:

P.S. - Nitrous couldn't hurt either...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I see some conflicting information in your post.

Originally Posted by jph2275
...bought a White 2001 corvette C5 FRC ...
and in your sig:
Originally Posted by jph2275
2001 Corvette C5 A4 - stock
The FRC was not available in 2001. You could either buy a Z06 (which all had manual transmissions), a coupe, or a convertible. If you have an automatic, it sounds like you have a 2001 coupe. The purchase price of $12,500 sounds decent enough for the miles.

Check inside your glove box for the option codes. Your axle ratio will be one of these:
GU2 is 2:73, G90 is 3:15, G92 is 3:15 "performance axle

Be advised that changing gears in a C5 differential requires specialty tools, and will cost a lot more than you might expect. Another option is to buy a used C5 differential that already has 3.42 gears (used in manual cars). Another great mod for the A4 is a higher stall converter. You won't see much change with tuning until you add some bolt-ons. The stock ECM runs pretty rich and a little conservative on timing, so you may see 10 rwhp with tuning a stock car, but it won't be noticable. You need long tubes, cold air intake, and a mild cam.... Your '01 will already have the LS6 style intake manifold by the way.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Your '01 will already have the LS6 style intake manifold by the way.
Whoops, thanks for the correction
Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hah, you guys beat me to the automatic "FRC" thing, but definitely full exhaust and, from what I've read, the vararam are good starting points. Congrats on the new car!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

In regards to your electrical issues, check the grounds/weather pack connectors on the frame. Start with the ones near the headlights, on the side frame rail.

Here is a good thread on the topic..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html
Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

As others have said , Intake and exhaust are a good start. Save a ton of money and buy used. Corvette Recyclers is a good start for used parts.