Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up Display... Nearly threw up in my mouth

Recently got into my corvette:

A few problems have occured in the first freaking week

tire pressure monitoring system went out
blinkers dont work
cold weather here cracked my targa top

The thing that bothered me the most was that the heads up display never worked....

Well last night I thought I saw an eery green glow on the windshield as I was driving along

So I put my head all the way up to the roof, looked down towards the dash, and I can see the HUD!!!!!!!!!!!! Barely, but its there!! BUT I cant adjust it up! The only way you can see it is in the akward *** position of basically standing the vette, head to the roof, looking down at it instead of the road... so i figured a bracket or something holding the light up is broken? Maybe?

I went to the chevy dealership here, and they said they CANNOT adjust it. And that it would be 2,000+ to fix it.

I asked about the above items, and the cost to fix them is

tire pressure monitoring system went out - new sensor, at least 100 to look at it and the blinker situation
blinkers dont work - above story
cold weather here cracked my targa top - 2500
HUD fix - 2000

Im nearly sick to my stomach at those prices, talk about a corvette tax or what

Anyone have any experience here with there HUD going out of adjustment past the point where dash controls cant help? Am I screwed paying that high price, or should I just live without?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy had a grand prix newer style where his did exactly what yours is doing. his mirror or display thing had broken, and he just reached up there and adjusted it himself. works find now. try getting up there and seeing if ne thign is lose, then try adjusting it by hand
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you need to replace the HUD projector they are fairly cheap used. To replace it isn't terribly hard but you do need to remove the dash pad.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

try and find a junkyard in the area for the targa top or post in the fs section...dealers FTL
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

He's info on how to fix the HUD issue from CF:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...d-display.html
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Teching In

The relay for the turn signals is in the hazard light switch on the dash. It is common for these to fail. My original one lasted about 5 years, and the replacement is still working fine almost four years later. Here's a howto for replacing it: http://www.kd5fx.com/HSwitch/HSwitch.htm
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

The tire sensor monitors can be ordered from any discount GM parts place. There are two different versions so be sure to order the one for your year. The '01-'04 version is significantly cheaper than the first version, I think they are like $50 a sensor. They are part of the valve stem so you need to break the bead on the tire to swap them out. Any good tire shop should be able to switch them out for you.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

You really need to do a little research on some of these problems before you take it to the dealership. For the most part, someone else has had the exact same problem and can help you fix it for much cheaper.

And please don't pay $2500 for a targa top from the dealer ! Check CL or the C5 parts for sale section on the corvetteforum and you will find one for a lot cheaper.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously - don't go to the dealership for any of these issues. Here is a picture I took when adding HUD to my '99. It's not very hard to get the dash pad out, and it will probably be an easy repair. I added HUD to my car for less than $400 by buying a used setup from the Corvette Forum.

Name:  DSC_7996.jpg
Views: 5301
Size:  91.2 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heads up Display... Nearly threw up in my mouth