Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

c5z chatterring sound through shifter boot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default c5z chatterring sound through shifter boot?

04 c5 z i have a problem dnt kno what it is when i hold the clutch down and give it gas i hear a chattering sound like a bearing would sound when its
broken or wore out and u can hear it lightly when its iddleling but more when you hold the clutch and give it gas could it be my input shaft bearing clutch feels a little sloopy at top and sometimes have a hard time goin in to 1st gear and reverse ........... the car has 40,xxx k miles and the i had the tranny checked out about 2 months ago?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some rattling sound is normal, lack of sound deadening material in C5Zs will let you hear squeaks and rattles not normally heard in a C5. Is there a howling/squeaking noise from the tunnel area? You will also hear some rattling when you shut the car off, if you don't want to hear it, just have the clutch pushed in when shutting the car off.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

i hear the noise when i shut it off when im not holding the clutch down...but this noise its like i have marbles in my torque tube and are jumping around inside when i push the clutch all the way down and give it gas...... my bro has the same car and u dnt hear any of these noises coming from the torque tube
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Common noises with the Z. Have the clutch pushed in when you kill the car. No more noises.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Restricted User

It could be the flywheel bolts being loose. Have you noticed any change in pedal engagement?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FMS_FTW
It could be the flywheel bolts being loose. Have you noticed any change in pedal engagement?
yes i have felt a difference in pedal engagement, and it seems to have some slopyness.........what do you think it is?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by triche
Common noises with the Z. Have the clutch pushed in when you kill the car. No more noises.
You just said it! Good call! They make noise unfortunately.... throwout bearing.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c5z16z
yes i have felt a difference in pedal engagement, and it seems to have some slopyness.........what do you think it is?
I'd have the flywheel looked at.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'd have the flywheel looked at.
i keep hearing a chattering sound thru my shifter boot when i have the car in gear and and clutch pushed all the way .... they told me at a gm dealer that its my torque tube bearing .......... but at another place said it is my throw out bearing on my clutch so i ordered a monster level 3 with the lighter fly wheel and slave cylinder ....... does it come with the throw out bearing ????? help cant stand that noise coming from the shifter boot also i maybe instaling my MGW short throw tomorro.......
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe all new clutches come with a new throw-out bearing.

BTW, I don't know what the material your light weight flywheel is, but aluminum flywheels are usually the weak link in the drive train. You get a faster rev up, but they're notoriously weak. You can get a chromemoly lightweight flywheel that will also be strong as well as it is light. But they're pretty expensive.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default clutch

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I believe all new clutches come with a new throw-out bearing.

BTW, I don't know what the material your light weight flywheel is, but aluminum flywheels are usually the weak link in the drive train. You get a faster rev up, but they're notoriously weak. You can get a chromemoly lightweight flywheel that will also be strong as well as it is light. But they're pretty expensive.
Monster lightweight is over twice as strong as the steel billet.. i think they are chromolly..price now is $399.00
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GREG O.
Monster lightweight is over twice as strong as the steel billet.. i think they are chromolly..price now is $399.00
yeah they do come with the throw out bearing and i ordered a chromoly light weight flywheel from monster included with my level 3 clutch thats why i bought it cuz ive been told that the sound coming thru my shifter boot when i press my clutch down all the way and give it gas it makes a sound like marbles are jumping around my torque tube and thats y i ordered it hopefully it is my throw out bearing????? what do you guys think aboput that noise while u hold the clutch down on the floor and give it gas ????
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Mine makes noise when I turn it off without pushing the clutch in. If it's in neutral it's spinning the driveshaft since the transmission is in the back. I'd check your torque tube bushings while replacing the clutch.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Launching!

were is the clutch located in a 04 c5 zo6 is in the front attached right behind the engine or in the back with the tranny???????
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Launching!

normal spot in the front. you get the awesome task of dropping the whole rear end (control arms, diff, transmission + torque tube) to get to it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Restricted User

If it's not the flywheel then it could be something with the TT bearing. A buddy of mine somehow had that problem on his car.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FMS_FTW
If it's not the flywheel then it could be something with the TT bearing. A buddy of mine somehow had that problem on his car.
how much is the torque tube bearing and can it be replaced while replacing a clutch????
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

I agree some rattle is normal!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Restricted User

how much is the torque tube bearing and can it be replaced while replacing a clutch????
Not sure about the price. It can't be that expensive though and yes, it can be replaced while replacing the clutch.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

i keep hearing a chattering sound thru my shifter boot when i have the car in gear and and clutch pushed all the way .... they told me at a gm dealer that its my torque tube bearing .......... but at another place said it is my throw out bearing on my clutch so i ordered a monster level 3 with the lighter fly wheel and slave cylinder ....... does it come with the throw out bearing ????? help cant stand that noise coming from the shifter boot also i maybe instaling my MGW short throw tomorro.......
I would never buy parts without identifying the problem. Best of Luck!

Quick Reply: c5z chatterring sound through shifter boot?