Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Looking for a C5 Z06 - Stock or Modded better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for a C5 Z06 - Stock or Modded better?

I am right now looking for a C5 Z06 (2002-04) and I’m wondering if it’s safer to buy a completely stock car or one with the mods I am looking to do (Cam/Headers) already done. The pricing for the cars with mods seems to be about the same as the cars that are completely stock, but I wonder if the modded cars have lived a harder life and therefore are a bit more long in the tooth than the cars that have been garage queens and never really driven hard. Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it depends on your goals...a friend of mine was looking at a bunch of FRC'c and was thinking along the same lines as you. You do bring up important points like, the more mods perhaps the more likely they have been run hard.....and most likely have...its a vette thats what they do. I would say use common sense. Ask for paper work service history. Receipts for mods if any. Alot of guys mods cars and don't always dog them...myself included for fear of breaking stuff so keep that in mind. If you do buy a stockish one your going to spend alot on it so I vote for getting a good condition modded one atleast with the basics..ie bolt ons headers exhaust etc.. but make sure they are good quality parts....Id be reluctant to buy my car again as an example it came with uncoated headers that rusted out and i ended up spending about a grand for my currrent set up. So in that sense the ***** in your court. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a toss up. Most ppl would say get the garage queen with low miles since you know its in good condition and probably rarely abused. Me personally I'll get one already modded. To me its more worth it to buy a modded car with mid to high mileage because it will sell for a much lower price than a stock car with low to mid mileage. In my opinion, if i know im going to mod the car anyway i would already purchase one with mods. I believe it saves alot of money in the long run ( if installed and done right). Just because a car is modded doesnt mean its always been abused. My car is modded and most of driving is 80 to 85% cruising. The power is there when i want it. When purchasing a car with mods it is also good to know what mods it has, how long the mods been on the car, who installed it, receipts, dyno sheet, who tuned it etc..

Last edited by demarco313; 03-05-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

If you plan on keeping it a long time, get the garage queen and mod yourself. That being said, I wouldn't have an issue getting a forged motor if I knew who built it, especially if it was a reputable place. You could save some $$$s.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Too risky to get modded cars imho, definitely buy stock then mod
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy modded and save the money. If the work is done right you can tell by driving it. Let someone else take the bath on the mods.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

i with the first 2 post. I bought my Z stock. Granted im the one who can honestly say i played a part in my installs/bought the mods for the car, but in the end you paid money for what ever car you decided. You bought it, cars yours and so is all the mods(if any) it came with. Do some research into what you want...What kinda numbers your looking at. Purposes for the car. Find answers to these questions and use a lil common since and youll be just fine. I can tell you this much. Once you own one of these beasts its hard to get into any thing else.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Teching In

I say buy it mostly stock.
I was burnt on a highly-modded Turbo TA. Granted it only happened once, but that's all it takes. Plus, with you doing the mods, you gain the knowledge of how to do it yourself and it was done right. There's also the satisfaction of being able to answer the questions from others: who did the work?, what's all done to it?, how fast was it when you bought it?, how fast is it now? You know all of that. How much fun is it to tell people, "I bought it this way"? Not much.

I love telling people about my 1986 Shelby GLHS. When I bought it, it ran 15.2s. In six years, I got it down to 12.50s.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Costs alot when u mod it ........new clutch, cam, heads, headers, intake.......on and on = $$$$$$$$

Quick Reply: Looking for a C5 Z06 - Stock or Modded better?