Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

NT05R; Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NT05R; Tech

Well, I'm in the tire market again(rear tires). I'm looking for the STICKIEST tires for the street. But its got to be able to handle the curves. My C5Z make about 450RWHP plus some spray. For track days I'll be on slicks, so I'm not concerned about track performance. Its a Friday and Saturday night ride, so not many miles and I'm not worried about mileage wear on the tire. The review on the NT05R looks promising but the sizes are crappy. The traction control system could be a pain with the tires sizes avaliable. So, any input that could help me pull the trigger is appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Well, I'm in the tire market again(rear tires). I'm looking for the STICKIEST tires for the street. But its got to be able to handle the curves. My C5Z make about 450RWHP plus some spray. For track days I'll be on slicks, so I'm not concerned about track performance. Its a Friday and Saturday night ride, so not many miles and I'm not worried about mileage wear on the tire. The review on the NT05R looks promising but the sizes are crappy. The traction control system could be a pain with the tires sizes avaliable. So, any input that could help me pull the trigger is appreciated. Thanks
Have you looked at the Toyo TQ drag radials? Also the Mickey Thompson ET Street radials are now available in a wide variety of sizes and the are pretty sticky.

Jimbo
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, thanks for the leads. I'll check them out.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the Nt05r's, they are pretty sticky. I'm happy with these dr's for sure
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

I was going to buy the new Nitto's but they dont have a big selection.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Teching In

I was stuck between Mickey's or BFG's. I ended up going with BFG's G-Force DR's (315 30R 18) because you'll get more life out of them. Also they hook amazing on the Street.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TOYO RA1.

That is all. Best all around tire ever..... if you like dig racing...check...if you like road course check...if you like WOT multiple highway lane changes...check.

These tires are the abosolute ****....even if you get caught in the rain.

Never tried anything nitto other then they're drag radials.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
TOYO RA1.

That is all. Best all around tire ever..... if you like dig racing...check...if you like road course check...if you like WOT multiple highway lane changes...check.

I agree.
I had M/T dr and the handling was a little scary at high speeds and trying to take corners at speed. The RA1s seem to grip just as well on the street(no burn out) in a straight line as the M/T plus you get the safety of a "rain tire". My car is at around 650rwhp
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
TOYO RA1.

I will never run anything else on my car! RA1 all the freakin way

Drage radials do not belong on corvettes IMO
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by petercln
I agree.
I had M/T dr and the handling was a little scary at high speeds and trying to take corners at speed. The RA1s seem to grip just as well on the street(no burn out) in a straight line as the M/T plus you get the safety of a "rain tire". My car is at around 650rwhp
Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
I will never run anything else on my car! RA1 all the freakin way

Drage radials do not belong on corvettes IMO

Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Ive used all. I gotta say MT are the stickiest. I dead hook in 2nd gear with spray, 1st gear I dont know, I havent sprayed off the line. I make 530rwhp on motor. When I launch on some MT (NA) They hook, I do feather 1st a little, but even if you spin them it's a controlled spin. Im making 700lbtq at 3300rpms. If its above 75 degrees and you run about 25psi you'll have a hook and book car.

Really when you get to a certain HP level you either have to choose if you have a track car or a drag car, and set it up for that application. Or you can get 2 sets of rear rims and tires.

Usually I'll put on some HRE's when me and my GF go out or cruise....ect. When people talk **** on a forum or I get called out. Its all business and I run z06 look alikes in the front (stock camber) and a 18in DR MT ET street in the rear (c5 offset)
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC

I went with the Regular NT05 not the R. They hook and can handle twisties. I am very happy with them. No traction or active handling codes thrown. The only difference from the stock size is I went with 275 up front instead of the 265. It is not enough to put car out of tolerance.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, some great feedback. But damn, I didnt realize this was such a subjective topic.
1) Toyo RA1
2) Toyo R888
3) Nitto 555RII
4) Nitto NT05
5) ?????
I think I'm out on the drag radials. I think?? I've just heard to many people say how unstable they are at speed. Not to mention corners. So the BFG's, MT's and the NT05R's are out of the question.
So to recap, they gotta to be the best at a Dig, 3rd gear blast (AKA roll on), top speed and corners. Again Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: NT05R; Tech