Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Lifting Points Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifting Points Question

I bought my 'Vette back in January, and i started to get a bit of a creeking in the front suspension - i've read its likely the sway bar bushings, so i'm getting ready to lift the car in the front for the first time myself... I saw in the manual where it said the lift points were, and i'm not seeing them... I was doing some reading online, and the little "shipping ports," or holes in what appears to be the frame is where you should support it with the jack stands... That's fine - i figured that... however, the other night i went to lift the car and underneath the car there are 2 metal plates, probably 5"x5", with 4 bolts coming down thru them.. I'm assuming that these are the plates from the Wolfe roll cage that was installed by the previous owner... I assumed that it would be OK to jack on these plates... is that correct???? (the plates are a couple inches in from the "shipping ports" described above.....

Thanks so much for the help... i started to jack up on those plates, but the backed off b/c i didnt' wanna make a mistake!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always took off the front airdam and jacked the car up using the front cradle. The rear I used the cradle also. The heavy duty floor jacks I have would not get under the car. Now I have a lift rack so no more need for that stuff.

If you still want to use where the manual does, then you are going to need to buy a jacking puck for your jack.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...motiveQ5fTools

scroll down on this link to see exactly what I mean
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thing to check under the front end for creaking is the subframe (the small bars that go under the front bumper that get beat up when people scrape against a curb while parking). Anyways, I noticed an annoying squeak/creak going over every bump in the road so I got under there while installing my CAI and noticed that the subframe is loose on the driver's side. Turns out when I would push on it then it would duplicate the sound I was hearing. My skid bars were beat to hell when I bought the car so the previous owner must have hit something hard enough to break it. There's a bolt that goes into a fitting in the frame on each side that holds that subframe and apparently my fitting is broken on the driver's side. I'll fix it later but wanted to give you a heads up.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks so much!! I'll keep an eye out for it

I still wanna know if its ok to jack up on the plates underneath the car from the roll bar....

anyone know?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^My opinion (could be wrong) is that if the rollcage is strong enough to support the weight of the car while it's upside down then I would think you could jack on the bottom of it to raise the car too. Do you just not want to use the shipping slots or is it blocked by the cage plates?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99TA
^My opinion (could be wrong) is that if the rollcage is strong enough to support the weight of the car while it's upside down then I would think you could jack on the bottom of it to raise the car too. Do you just not want to use the shipping slots or is it blocked by the cage plates?
i got it, no problem.....

Also found out what the clacking/creeking was... the upper shock bushing was gone... must have dry rotten, as half of it was still hanging on, but it was in bad shape... new shock bushing and she's perfectly quiet...

Quick Reply: Lifting Points Question