Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

MCM C5 Cowl Hood Performance Gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MCM C5 Cowl Hood Performance Gains

Tests were conducted after a chassis dyno setup. Actual quarter mile times were recorded with both the factory hood installed, then with the Motorcity Hood installed; all other factors remain the same. The testing was performed both with and without nitrous oxide. Several runs were made to ensure consistency.

Results (Best Quarter Mile):
Stock Hood (no nitrous): 13.47 ET
Motorcity Hood (no nitrous): 13.41 ET

Stock Hood (nitrous): 12.08 ET
Motorcity Hood (nitrous): 11.97 ET
Has anyone here tried this hood out? Do you believe these results are able to be replicated?

http://www.motorcitymold.com/performance.html
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like snake oil to me. Whatever hood you buy, buy it for the looks.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the only real performance factor I see is that they're Carbon Fiber and probably a lot lighter than the stock hood.

Taking into account that you get rid of the hood liner, hood light, and about 10-15 Lbs of body panel, you probably save around 20Lbs.

On a stock car, I can see a 5/100ths of a second difference.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Teching In

i wouldnt buy a hood based on performance unless you r going for a top speed and u are trying to vent the engine compartment
Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Sounds like snake oil to me. Whatever hood you buy, buy it for the looks.
If anything, It may keep the engine a little cooler, but no real gains are to be had by replacing the hood alone...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bullish
i wouldnt buy a hood based on performance unless you r going for a top speed and u are trying to vent the engine compartment
As stated above, the benefit of the MCM or vented hood is to relieve air pressure from under the hood, which also aids in cooling. I guess it helps a little in the 1320, but it is not that significant.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JStrib
Has anyone here tried this hood out? Do you believe these results are able to be replicated?

http://www.motorcitymold.com/performance.html
Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
As stated above, the benefit of the MCM or vented hood is to relieve air pressure from under the hood, which also aids in cooling. I guess it helps a little in the 1320, but it is not that significant.

Yes.

I without a doubt believe it would work,..as Tony stated,.. you'd be relieveing underhood pressure,... allowing the air somewhere to go,,.... instead of coming from frontal underneath,... then normally hitting the dome of hood,..then your cowl/firewall,... then finding it's way down,... this generates lift. The hood design you showed,.. completely(or I should say mostly) would get rid of that.

So yes, without a doubt,...I would believe it would help but,... it would be a WAY better comparo to show MPH vs MPH,... not ET vs ET.

Would like to see this theory/concept in the mile tested. We are currently installing hood louvers(extractors) in my stock hood to do sometyhing similar but,..without the cost of the hood.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned

O
Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Yes.

I without a doubt believe it would work,..as Tony stated,.. you'd be relieveing underhood pressure,... allowing the air somewhere to go,,.... instead of coming from frontal underneath,... then normally hitting the dome of hood,..then your cowl/firewall,... then finding it's way down,... this generates lift. The hood design you showed,.. completely(or I should say mostly) would get rid of that.

So yes, without a doubt,...I would believe it would help but,... it would be a WAY better comparo to show MPH vs MPH,... not ET vs ET.

Would like to see this theory/concept in the mile tested. We are currently installing hood louvers(extractors) in my stock hood to do sometyhing similar but,..without the cost of the hood.
i agree
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Yes.

If you ever look at the top speed runs, etc... You'll see the guys taping up the front of the car and even where the fender lines are to try and keep the air from getting into the front of the car.

The vettes underneath of the car is very stream line (flat bottom) just like race cars.

ACP makes a front splitter and duct work that helps with the air flow up front to keep the front of the car down for road race guys.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

I believe your missing the point of the post above.
Your mentioning a splitter, yes they help -but also do a different job.

I have seen hoods explode from the pressures generated from top speed runs. The opening would absolutely help in letting that air escape.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I believe your missing the point of the post above.
Your mentioning a splitter, yes they help -but also do a different job.

I have seen hoods explode from the pressures generated from top speed runs. The opening would absolutely help in letting that air escape.
Dude this thread has been dead for more than 2 years lol.

Quick Reply: MCM C5 Cowl Hood Performance Gains