C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

First time C5 buyer, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time C5 buyer, few questions

Hey guys,

Looking to join in the ranks shortly as I finally am looking to purchase my first corvette

Although it's going to be MUCH slower than what I am used, to; after driving a few m6 coupe cars I am in love with the whole 'drivers car' factor.

No real stranger to the LS1 so no questions there; but I was curious on where to look on the vehicle in terms of finding out what suspension package the car has and what options? I found a few common vin decoders but they do not break down options. My main concern is that I would like to buy a Z51 car. Is there a dead giveaway somewhere?

I'm likely to be buying an early model car (97-98) and have a 97 in my sights currently. I have read there were changes to the steering in 99 that may benefit; but as this car will likely see 99% street time and light auto x, I find that negligible. I am not really interested in upgrades such as HUD, active handling, telescoping wheel, etc as I enjoy a lighter weight, more purist car; to where I'd buy a z06 hands down if it was targa. The active handling might be nice; but this car isn't seeing rain and coming from a 450+rwhp mustang; I'm pretty good at keeping thing under control at the limit.

Anyhow, if anyone could point me to a site or FAQ that can break down a car based on vin etc; I'd be extremely gracious. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tom
Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

bump?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z51 will be in the RPO codes. You'll find the RPO codes in the glove box.

Also, if you get a 99 or 2000 FRC, they only come with the Z51 and they're much more of a purists car. They're only manuals, they're lighter, etc...

In my opinion, they look better too.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

When I was looking to buy a vette I got on corvetteforum and learned a lot. The searching and reading I did on there helped me make my decision to get my FRC over the a coup.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Just check the glove box for the codes. There are alot of good good deals out there you just have to look around.I look at a few z06's but I really wanted the removable top. So I found a z51 coupe with low miles and did full bolt-on's and now it has over 400hp at the wheels. With just a little work
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

FRC's are nice; and I'm well aware of them all being z51 cars, but there is no way I'm buying a hardtop only corvette as previously stated.

Thanks for the glovebox tip!

Quick Reply: First time C5 buyer, few questions