Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Possiable twin turbo v6 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree... But I'm 99% positive the 5.5L is the next motor. GM was testing it in the C6R for a reason. And they were kicking *** still. If the 5.5L makes more power than the 6.2L LS3, I'm sure people are not going to have a problem. Direct injection is going to make the biggest difference here. Although, a direct injection 6.2L would probably get the same economy as the LS1s did, the 5.5L direct injection is going to make the largest difference, and currently, that's where GM's head is.

With the smaller, lighter car we're not going to have the need so much for as much torque as you'd get from the 6.2L. If they could get the weight of the Vette down to C5Z weights again, the 5.5L will make way more than enough torque. A DCT would be great too, as long as they still offer a 6-speed manual for those of us that don't car about that 1/100th of a second and just want to have fun.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats why I just bought an 08 C6 6.2 litre LS3 376 CI.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalt1
There's a Cyber Gray ZR1 on the West Palm Beach, FL CL for $79k at a dealership. I think it had 23k miles on it. FWIW the ZR1 beat the Viper SRT10 on the Supercar Challenge. If I got a Viper, it'd be an ACR as a track toy, don't think it could be used for much more.
no way... Something is wrong or something.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I agree... But I'm 99% positive the 5.5L is the next motor. GM was testing it in the C6R for a reason. And they were kicking *** still. If the 5.5L makes more power than the 6.2L LS3, I'm sure people are not going to have a problem. Direct injection is going to make the biggest difference here. Although, a direct injection 6.2L would probably get the same economy as the LS1s did, the 5.5L direct injection is going to make the largest difference, and currently, that's where GM's head is.

With the smaller, lighter car we're not going to have the need so much for as much torque as you'd get from the 6.2L. If they could get the weight of the Vette down to C5Z weights again, the 5.5L will make way more than enough torque. A DCT would be great too, as long as they still offer a 6-speed manual for those of us that don't car about that 1/100th of a second and just want to have fun.
I just want a DCT, because the auto's aren't that great and I can no longer driver Sticks... Otherwise I'd drive sticks all day long.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Domsz06
no way... Something is wrong or something.
That seems pretty right on.....Most of these cars have 3,000 miles or less and are at 100k. Every thousand after that seems to take a 1,000 off or more....That is a **** load of miles on one of those cars and most of them probably wont hit that in a lifetime...
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 5.5L in the current C6R exists because of the displacement limitations the sanctioning body has in place, not because GM wanted to downsize. It's still an LSx motor. LS3 sized bore with a shorter stroke. Same formula that brought us the 302 in the late 60's (327 with 283 crank/rods).

I agree wholeheartedly with SCM. I don't need AWD. I don't want a mid engined Corvette either. The front engine / rear transaxle is excellent for weight distribution. I wouldn't mind factory coilovers though. The leaf springs work well, but they can improve on them.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
I wouldn't mind factory coilovers though. The leaf springs work well, but they can improve on them.
I totally agree.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domsz06
I just want a DCT, because the auto's aren't that great and I can no longer driver Sticks... Otherwise I'd drive sticks all day long.
I hear ya. Honestly, I'd do the same. If I couldn't drive a stick anymore, a DCT would be the way to go. I just don't like the way autos think. They usually think I want to down shift when I don't and they don't shift when I DO want them to. Paddle shifters would be nice, but I'd like the option to shift with paddles AND the tip-tronic style. I would have it in that mode 100% of the time because autos up and down shift at the wrong time for me.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redcorvette2000
That seems pretty right on.....Most of these cars have 3,000 miles or less and are at 100k. Every thousand after that seems to take a 1,000 off or more....That is a **** load of miles on one of those cars and most of them probably wont hit that in a lifetime...
sorry your right, I didn't see the k after the 23 and just thought it had 23 miles on it lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I hear ya. Honestly, I'd do the same. If I couldn't drive a stick anymore, a DCT would be the way to go. I just don't like the way autos think. They usually think I want to down shift when I don't and they don't shift when I DO want them to. Paddle shifters would be nice, but I'd like the option to shift with paddles AND the tip-tronic style. I would have it in that mode 100% of the time because autos up and down shift at the wrong time for me.
friend has an m3 with the dct in it and I love how firm and crisp it shifts as well as fast!

Quick Reply: Possiable twin turbo v6 corvette