Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Theft Recovery Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Theft Recovery Z06

hey guys i have seen a few Z06's that have been in floods or been stolen & recovered. i saw a black 2008 z06 for sale for $17,800 that was a theft recovery car. i dont know if it has the engine still in it or not, but it has a set of 360 forged rims which im guessing if the theif didnt steal them then im sure he didnt bother with the engine haha.

my question is, if the engine,tranny,rear end, etc.. everything was intact would you guys buy something like that? i mean that really freaking cheap if nothing is wrong with it. heck even if it was missing the engine i have seen LS7's used for $7-9k thats still cheaper than buying a used or new Z06.

so please give me some opinions/info if ya dont mind. thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a bad deal at all. Even if it needed a little work you can always add upgraded parts to replace the ones missing or damaged. Some people will push for it to be totalled even if the car is fine because of abuse and miles put on it.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cole Train
Not a bad deal at all. Even if it needed a little work you can always add upgraded parts to replace the ones missing or damaged. Some people will push for it to be totalled even if the car is fine because of abuse and miles put on it.
good point, thanks for the info.

so what about getting it insured? would a insurance company even insure a vehicle that had been stolen or anything like that? or would it not be a problem?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Depends on the company but i've never had an issue. I have a '03 Silverado Z71 that was rolled and i fixed it up and it is under full coverage with American Family Insurance. I've looked into other companies and they had no issues either. They did say that because it's a salvage title that if i totalled it again i would get about 10-15% less than it's book value. Which if i totalled it right now i would MAKE money on it since i have barely anything in it and got a great deal on it
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Depends on the company but i've never had an issue. I have a '03 Silverado Z71 that was rolled and i fixed it up and it is under full coverage with American Family Insurance. I've looked into other companies and they had no issues either. They did say that because it's a salvage title that if i totalled it again i would get about 10-15% less than it's book value. Which if i totalled it right now i would MAKE money on it since i have barely anything in it and got a great deal on it
haha alright thanks again man. i will check it out and make sure the theives didnt rip anything out that will be expensive to replace. from what i can see in the pics it looks like they stole it & got caught before tearing anything out of it. the 360 Forged rims are still on it, i mean if i was going to steal & take parts i would definately take those rims off first but they didnt even bother with them. maybe the car is alright.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it was just drivin hard and dose not have any major damage, then this car is a steal. If it checks out to be good then you should jump on it.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a good deal don't miss it
Old 09-19-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Onstar probably shut the car down before it could get torn apart
Old 09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

alright guys well ill see what i can find out about it & try to jump on it.

and is that true about the onstar part? Cole Train
Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

lol idk but i know they can track them and do some stuff to them if they get stolen
Old 09-19-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be curious as to what comes with the car.

They steal a car, but don't hawk the wheels? Something seems... fishy.

Get pictures, it's probably going to be a parts car at best. Frame is aluminum, so not that great a starting point if it's been damaged.

I hope it turns out good for you if you pull the trigger. Just do the homework on it, after all, it's a GM so parts are everywhere.. unless it's a specialty part
Old 09-19-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OKcruising
I'd be curious as to what comes with the car.

They steal a car, but don't hawk the wheels? Something seems... fishy.

Get pictures, it's probably going to be a parts car at best. Frame is aluminum, so not that great a starting point if it's been damaged.

I hope it turns out good for you if you pull the trigger. Just do the homework on it, after all, it's a GM so parts are everywhere.. unless it's a specialty part
yeah i thought it seemed fishy since the wheels were still there lol. ill definately check into really good before i do anything. i might just go for a C5 FRC or a C5 Z06 i heard they are a few pounds lighter than a C6 Z06.

The C6 Z06 is just so damn expensive & i cant afford one really so i might settle for a C5 FRC or C5Z & put an LS7 in it & mod the hell out of it! lol
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

C6's despite being shorter in length they weigh more by about 100lbs then the C5. BUT the LS7 is a SWEET engine to start with. My only problem would be modding without a forged bottom end. I hear they have have problems. The LS6 is a strong engine from the start. You'll be set though if you get into that C6Z for that price. You won't find many C5Z's for that price used.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of times cars like this will have the entire drivetrain removed carefully, and modules missing, ect, and the person who has the original parts is the guy bidding on it at the auction. so he will outbid you. Having the wheels and such on the car to make it not damaged is not uncommon. It may also be a set of stolen wheels for a different car, so once the car is impounded and purchased the theif (now new owner) has paperwork of how he got them.

In the Louisiana area, I would not be suprised if this is the case. There are a lot of built f-cars that end stolen just on this forum alone and documentation of how parts are found on other cars.

I know of people in south florida who have had the car stolen and recovered, with mods. One had a upgraded supercharger, black interior swap and wheel swap after the car was found. There are 2 ways to hide a stolen car, hide it off of the road, or hide it in plain site with flash that will distract from what they are looking for. (wheels, paint, graphics)

Ryan
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

C6's despite being shorter in length they weigh more by about 100lbs then the C5. BUT the LS7 is a SWEET engine to start with. My only problem would be modding without a forged bottom end. I hear they have have problems. The LS6 is a strong engine from the start. You'll be set though if you get into that C6Z for that price. You won't find many C5Z's for that price used.
do you mean if the engine isnt forged it will have problems? if so i heard that as well about it being modded & the stock bottom end giving out, it will definately be forged either way.

and dang Slow, that is some cool info kinda sneaky though thanks for sharing lol
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
a lot of times cars like this will have the entire drivetrain removed carefully, and modules missing, ect, and the person who has the original parts is the guy bidding on it at the auction. so he will outbid you. Having the wheels and such on the car to make it not damaged is not uncommon. It may also be a set of stolen wheels for a different car, so once the car is impounded and purchased the theif (now new owner) has paperwork of how he got them.

In the Louisiana area, I would not be suprised if this is the case. There are a lot of built f-cars that end stolen just on this forum alone and documentation of how parts are found on other cars.

I know of people in south florida who have had the car stolen and recovered, with mods. One had a upgraded supercharger, black interior swap and wheel swap after the car was found. There are 2 ways to hide a stolen car, hide it off of the road, or hide it in plain site with flash that will distract from what they are looking for. (wheels, paint, graphics)

Ryan
ah yes, smart theives. i prefer the dumb ones like a bunch of guys who stole a 5.0 mustang and took it to one of their houses to strip and ordered a pizza on a credit card and had it delivered to the same address. then after they finished stripping the car they dumped the shell with the pizza box still inside. once the cops traced the pizza back to the address, they sent in the victim with an undercover to check out the 5.0 mustang sitting for sale in the front yard. sure enough, SEVERAL of his stolen parts were on that car. the owner of the house got busted for selling stolen property and suspician of GTA.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
ah yes, smart theives. i prefer the dumb ones like a bunch of guys who stole a 5.0 mustang and took it to one of their houses to strip and ordered a pizza on a credit card and had it delivered to the same address. then after they finished stripping the car they dumped the shell with the pizza box still inside. once the cops traced the pizza back to the address, they sent in the victim with an undercover to check out the 5.0 mustang sitting for sale in the front yard. sure enough, SEVERAL of his stolen parts were on that car. the owner of the house got busted for selling stolen property and suspician of GTA.
wow stupid *** thieves! lol
Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars tend to be stolen for one of two reasons...joyriding or stripping.

Intact recoveries are normally joyriders and the powertrain will have been abused, but On-Star adds a new wrinkle to the process. It's possible the car was intended for stripping but got deactivated prior to arrival at the chop shop, in which case it would be a great buy.

Hard to know for sure which was the case.

Quick Reply: Theft Recovery Z06