Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5z Auto Conversion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your advice man, I'd love to see the car in person before it is stored up for the winter!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like the auto trans cars you could always get a convertible and glue on the hardtop from a FRC.

Either way, it's about the same price.

Your net cost for a built auto conversion is probably $10K net. I've done the conversions both ways and it's a lot easier to go from an auto to six speed than the other way.

Most of the work is in the wiring up of the PCM and transmission controller in the enging compartment. You could get away from this by adding a TCI transmission controller to the install.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

anyone interested in a th400 for a c5 with a 342 diff with hardend shafts, torque tube belhouseing, flex plate, converter, shiter,cooler and trans brace for $2500.00
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Kind of a newb question, but couldn't you stay away from most of the wiring, etc if you went with a manual slap/push style shifter instead of it being a full out automatic?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawaiifiveoh
Kind of a newb question, but couldn't you stay away from most of the wiring, etc if you went with a manual slap/push style shifter instead of it being a full out automatic?
If you're talking a sequential shifter, than yes, but I hope you're $$$$, because they cost $25K.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

If that's the case then yea...that's not happening lol. I was thinking more of a ratchet shifter, not sure exactly how to word it. Similar to manually sliding an automatic shifter up or down gears, yet able to keep it in gear/no downshift.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

And what are the chances of being able to getting a pullout from a wrecked auto c5? (obviously finding one), more along the lines of just using what is already there?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If that's the case then yea...that's not happening lol. I was thinking more of a ratchet shifter, not sure exactly how to word it. Similar to manually sliding an automatic shifter up or down gears, yet able to keep it in gear/no downshift.
And what are the chances of being able to getting a pullout from a wrecked auto c5? (obviously finding one), more along the lines of just using what is already there?
Unless you install a manual valve bodied auto tranny into a vette, the shifts are controlled be the computer. You would have to design your own custom shifter as there are no available rachet shifters for C5's
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Wouldn't that get rid of the electronics, make it a lot cheaper? Sorry if I seem like I'm being repetitive, I'm just not familiar with how automatics fully work.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldn't that get rid of the electronics, make it a lot cheaper? Sorry if I seem like I'm being repetitive, I'm just not familiar with how automatics fully work.
Todays modern day cars automatic transmissions are controlled by the PCM.

The conversion, is not really as bad as it seems. It just takes some patience and a couple of schematics.

You could also by a standalone transmission controller from TCI so that you could by-pass the rewire job.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by algws6
in my case i love my car and it is paid off. apperance i love the Z, the coupe doent even come close. i also have an extensive amount of mods and did not feel like starting over. the 6 speed is just too brutal on the drive train and it gets tiring breaking and replacing drive train parts. it almost makes you not want to race. the auto cant go all day long and launches like a bat out of hell. everyone i talked to that had done the swap had no regrets so when my clutch went out i decided it was time for the switch.
I converted the green car in my sig to an automatic. Just like you I got tired of the pedal sticking to the floor, replacing clutches, and inconsistent strip performance. I lucked out and bought a complete conversion kit for $850 shipped. Add the price of the convertor @ $700 and $250 for the computer tune and it cost me $1800 to do the swap. Luckily I do all of my own work so the labor cost was free.

How does it perform? It always hooks up and never experiences wheel hop. And the best part is that aside from a rebuild of the trans after 463 drag runs, there has not been a single failure.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 2000 FRC converted from an M6 to an A4.

You can get a great trans and associated conversion hardware from RPM.

The total cost really depends on how much you are able to get for your T-56 trans, existing clutch, etc, and how much you pay for labor.

I think by the time I sold off my stick gear I was into it for around $5K, which really isn't bad at all.

I had the conversion done 3-4 years ago, and I don't regret it for a second.

Quick Reply: C5z Auto Conversion Questions