Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5z Auto Conversion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5z Auto Conversion Questions

I am interested in a 01-04 C5Z, but I would like it to be converted to an auto.

Has anyone on this forum done this? If so, please step in. How much does this swap cost and how hard is it to do?

I would like the transmission to be able to stand up to a blower. We'll assume 600rwhp

I tried a search and didn't end up with too much.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

ECS did mine and did a hell of a job. Best bet is to contact them as far as pricing is concerned. There are many options that can make the price vary.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I shot them a e-mail.

Any other guys do this themselves?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

I have done several. It's not to bad as long as you have all the auto parts to do the conversion. I bought the trans 4l65 from RPM transmission. It's held 850rw for several years now. Talk to TJ at RPM transmissions.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I am interested in a 01-04 C5Z, but I would like it to be converted to an auto.

Has anyone on this forum done this? If so, please step in. How much does this swap cost and how hard is it to do?

I would like the transmission to be able to stand up to a blower. We'll assume 600rwhp

I tried a search and didn't end up with too much.
If you want an A4 and are going to modify it to 600rwhp why get a C5Z? Just start out with a C5 coupe A4 and go from there. You'll save a good chunk of change up front and from the swap costs.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have done ALOT of Z06 auto conversions. We were actually the first to install a 4l80 in a C6Z. Feel free to let me know if you need any help.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am interested in this but trying to figure out a ball park price...
Old 10-01-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would also like to know an approximate price for 600+rwhp cars.

Just planning for the future

And 99C5JA, I still haven't seen your car and I'm an Iowa guy.. this might be an issue.. Looks good

I prefer the c5z looks, suspension, and differential upgrades
Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

I'm having my Z done right now and I would say at least 7k with all parts and labor.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by beavis
I'm having my Z done right now and I would say at least 7k with all parts and labor.
I had it done to my c6z and Fran did it. Great work.

If your getting it done for 7k that's a steal! Mine was just over 12k I think, would have to go back and look.

The auto's if bought from rpm (most are) handle 600 no sweat. The owner drives his with over 800 for the last few years. Mine has 551 rwhp and so far (one year) not a single issue.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK... Try not to flame me here, but WHY?

Why convert a Z06 to auto? The Z06 is such a special car to begin with. Same with the 99-00 FRC.

I get that they're lighter, a coupe can be just as light, especially when making a drag-specific car.

The only time I see a conversion coming into play is if you drive with hand controls or you don't have a left leg and you still want to drive a Z06.

But if the coupes are already autos, that money spent to convert them could better be spent lightening up the coupe and making it faster. It would cost less in the long run and would be less labor intensive.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

in my case i love my car and it is paid off. apperance i love the Z, the coupe doent even come close. i also have an extensive amount of mods and did not feel like starting over. the 6 speed is just too brutal on the drive train and it gets tiring breaking and replacing drive train parts. it almost makes you not want to race. the auto cant go all day long and launches like a bat out of hell. everyone i talked to that had done the swap had no regrets so when my clutch went out i decided it was time for the switch.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No regrets here. My car is the 4th fast NA c6z on corvette forum. With 518rwhp and 3.73 gears. Props to RPM transmission.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

In blunt honesty, I'm not the best at driving/racing the standard gears. I prefer stalled autos for cruising/drag racing. I'm a pretty lazy driver. So the question goes back, would it really be a cost benefit to buy an a4 ls1 c5 over a converted a4 ls6 c5z with the knowledge that I am going to want 600rwhp in the future, c5z comparable suspension, & c5z looks? Not sure on the prices of suspension & body panel swaps. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah... The looks are the only draw back to an A4 LS1. The FRC looks far better, IMO.

However, for everything else, yeah, the A4 would be a better platform to start with. The Z06 comes at a premium to begin with. If you're going to make 600RWHP, you're going to be getting rid of the LS6 heads, cam and rotating assembly to start with. Then what you're left with is an empty LS6 block. If you start with an LS1, you're spending less money on a motor that's more expensive and you're not going to use. The A4 would already be in the LS1, so you wouldn't have to pay for the peddle conversion, the shifter setup, pulling the torque tube down to install the trans and converter, etc... Headaches.

For drag racing, you want a little more squat so that the weight of the car falls back on the rear wheels during launch, so why would you want the stiffer springs from a Z06? And even if you DID want stiffer springs, that's what the Z51 package is all about.

Basically, I'm just saying the only REAL benefit to the Z06 is the look. The rest you can get for CHEAPER. That's why it doesn't make sense to convert a Z06 for drag racing.

Granted I'm not a big fan of drag racing, but maybe it just bothers me a little that the perfect road racing car is being turned into a drag car. I know it's your car and you can do what you want with it, but it's almost like watching someone turn a F430 or Enzo into a drag car. You know? A little sacrilegious. I always thought that's what Fox bodies and F-bodies were for.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose my goals were a little poorly explained. I like autos better for drag racing in general. I like the z06 suspension for the ride quality and cornering capabilities

Thanks for the advice though! We'll see what happens when the time rolls around
Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I suppose my goals were a little poorly explained. I like autos better for drag racing in general. I like the z06 suspension for the ride quality and cornering capabilities

Thanks for the advice though! We'll see what happens when the time rolls around
Gotcha... I drive my dad's 2003 Vert every now and then. It's far more comfortable to drive than my Z06. Seats are nicer, and the suspension is pretty nice too. But it definitely has a bit more body roll than I'm used to after driving the Z06 for so long.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Gotcha... I drive my dad's 2003 Vert every now and then. It's far more comfortable to drive than my Z06. Seats are nicer, and the suspension is pretty nice too. But it definitely has a bit more body roll than I'm used to after driving the Z06 for so long.
We'll see what happens when the time comes. The C6 looks and build quality have started to grow on me a bit more over the C5's but I still am in love with the C5 body more.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah. My dad was going to buy a C6 too, but he found the perfect C5 and couldn't pass it up. C5s look better IMO too. The C6 has some features that make it tempting, but the classic hand drawn lines of the C5 are far more appealing than the obviously computer drawn C6.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In blunt honesty, I'm not the best at driving/racing the standard gears. I prefer stalled autos for cruising/drag racing. I'm a pretty lazy driver. So the question goes back, would it really be a cost benefit to buy an a4 ls1 c5 over a converted a4 ls6 c5z with the knowledge that I am going to want 600rwhp in the future, c5z comparable suspension, & c5z looks? Not sure on the prices of suspension & body panel swaps. Thanks for the input guys!
You're looking at an upfront cost of around $5k (or more) to get a Z06 vs. a coupe of a similar year. Now add on the parts to convert and you're probably around $8-10k in the hole without buying a single go fast part. You will be discarding most all of the performance parts that $5k you paid for the Z06 is getting you when you convert to an auto and build it for serious power. Namely the LS6 heads, LS6 cam, and m12 tranny.

Suspension wise, the Z51 package with non runflats performs closely enough to the Z06 to make it a drivers race. Compared the Z06 (FE4) the Z51 has the same front spring, the same rear sway bar, a slightly softer rear spring, and the front sway bar is smaller by 1.4mm in diameter.

There would absolutely be a large cost benefit to buying an A4 Coupe to start with. Even starting out with an FRC to convert makes more sense (though again I wouldn't).

On another note, you're more than welcome to check out the car. The weather this year hasn't been very conducive to driving it much so I haven't made it out to many events. After I get done tuning it in the spring I do want to take this combo to the track to see what it will do. The R2's alone should make a huge difference in its times.

Last edited by 99C5JA; 10-05-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: C5z Auto Conversion Questions