Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 vs. Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Independent Rear End Vs Solid Axle. Take your pick. That's the difference. Unless you want to say that the F-Bodys CAN hold 4 people... (uncomfortably). Stock v. Stock, it was always a drivers race, and I've seen both sides winning.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

when my 04 c5-a4 (2.73's) was stock i ran a stock 02 ss a4 from several roll races and everytime he would put 3-4 car lengths on me by 100mph. Stock 1/4 mile @6700ft DA i ran 14.48@98mph i added a vararam and catback went 13.9@102mph beat that same ss by 2 car lengths, then added lt's/x pipe, went 13.5@106mph. From what i have seen on base c5's they are slow stock but respond very well to mods! also they ride so much better and as stated before they have no rattles like most f-bodies do. Also they attract much more attention then my old ta did!!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow_ws6
when my 04 c5-a4 (2.73's) was stock i ran a stock 02 ss a4 from several roll races and everytime he would put 3-4 car lengths on me by 100mph. Stock 1/4 mile @6700ft DA i ran 14.48@98mph i added a vararam and catback went 13.9@102mph beat that same ss by 2 car lengths, then added lt's/x pipe, went 13.5@106mph. From what i have seen on base c5's they are slow stock but respond very well to mods! also they ride so much better and as stated before they have no rattles like most f-bodies do. Also they attract much more attention then my old ta did!!
Explain to me how 320hp vs. 350hp in a lighter car with wider tires is faster? Even tho the DA is really high, that should be at least a 13 second car. I would suspect driver or something wrong with the car. The laws of physics just don't back your statements. Chevrolet engineered the vette to be faster. Part of the reason it costs more.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
I guess you F-body guys don't know about the Corvette waive. I never got that much with my past F-bodies. All I ever got were other muscle cars trying to race me.
I guess it depends on the area, I get waives from muscle cars and Fbodies all the time, and sometimes even vettes.

Explain to me how 320hp vs. 350hp in a lighter car with wider tires is faster? Even tho the DA is really high, that should be at least a 13 second car. I would suspect driver or something wrong with the car. The laws of physics just don't back your statements. Chevrolet engineered the vette to be faster. Part of the reason it costs more.
320hp? I guess you don't know LS1 Fbodies make 350hp from the factory, just like the LS1 Corvette (this is common knowledge today, how do you not know this?) And wider tires? An ls1 camaro SS has 9" wide wheels with 275 tires from the factory, same as a base C5 vette.
The SS was likely quicker because of gearing (2.73 gear vs 3.23 gear).
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I guess it depends on the area, I get waives from muscle cars and Fbodies all the time, and sometimes even vettes.

320hp? I guess you don't know LS1 Fbodies make 350hp from the factory, just like the LS1 Corvette (this is common knowledge today, how do you not know this?) And wider tires? An ls1 camaro SS has 9" wide wheels with 275 tires from the factory, same as a base C5 vette.
The SS was likely quicker because of gearing (2.73 gear vs 3.23 gear).
The SS is factory rated at 325HP with the ram air option. I am talking factory rated numbers. If the Camaro is under rated, so is the Corvette. Yes, I was wrong about the tires being wider, but I was not wrong about the weight difference, which is about 200lbs. Btw the SS with an auto had the same gear as the corvette. It was the manuals v6's that had the 3.23, and the manual v8's had a 3.42 (this is common knowledge today, how do you not know this?)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The SS is factory rated at 325HP with the ram air option. I am talking factory rated numbers. If the Camaro is under rated, so is the Corvette.
Both cars made 350hp from the factory, and generally dyno around 300RWHP. So its not 320hp vs 350hp, its 350 vs 350.

Yes, I was wrong about the tires being wider, but I was not wrong about the weight difference, which is about 200lbs.
Never said there wasn't a weight difference. That will make a difference, but gearing can make up for it (like it does in this case).
Btw the SS with an auto had the same gear as the corvette. It was the manuals v6's that had the 3.23, and the manual v8's had a 3.42 (this is common knowledge today, how do you not know this?)
The SS (WS6 and Firehawk as well) auto got 3.23 gears.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740885-post7.html
The guy said his vette had 2.73s, so theres why the SS was quicker.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both and will continue to have both. They are totally different cars despite what you might think based on the shared drivetrain parts. Below is what I posted in another thread about the same subject. And to set the record straight, the cars are just about equal in straight line performance out of the box up to about 80 mph and then the aerodynamics of the vette take over.

I tormented myself for quite some time over whether or not to sell my beloved SS and "upgrade" to a C5, especially since the prices on them have come down so much recently. A few weeks ago, thanks to a deployment to Afghanistan, I was able to afford to buy a C5 outright and still keep my SS which made the decision much easier.

I have seen people argue on this thread that the jump from a nice F-body to a base C5 coupe isn't worth the hassle, and that couldn't be further from the truth - my C5 is head and shoulders better than my F-body in just about every possible category. It is far more comfortable (felt better after a 12 hour drive in it than I did after 2 hours in the SS), the build quality is outstanding (very tight with no squeaks/rattles), handling and braking are obviously a night and day difference, and it's generally much smoother and more refined while still retaining a rawness that makes it a blast to drive aggressively. That's not to say that I don't still enjoy driving my SS - it has an unrefined charm that still makes it fun to take out every once in a while. However, minus the novelty of it's ruggedness and maybe a stoplight drag race from a dig, any comparison between the two is not even close.

There is a reason that the Corvette has always been GM's flagship sports car, and this is coming from a die-hard F-body fan who daily drove his SS for almost six years.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

yes jd amg said it right the cars have the exact same ls1 engine, the corvette was just factory rated higher than the fbodies cause it is the flagship model as stated above. GM would be stupid to rate a 30k car the same as a 50k car. Also the reason i believe the ss beat me is the gears all a4 ss's/ws6's came with 3.23's from the factory, all 6spd's had 3.42's. The base a4 vette had 2.73's and the performance rear was a 3.15, only the 6spd's had 3.42's. There was a guy who had a 3.15 geared c5, completely stock except for a k&n drop in, he went 13.8@100 as to my 14.48@98, same track, same day i believe it was all gears!!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to run my mostly stock C5 6spd (just a blackwing filter) vs. 6spd f-bodies with a lid and catback (we were all in the same club). All of us had 3.42's. Same day, same track, street tires the C5 was about .2-.4 faster (usually closer to .2).
Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arguing how much power each car makes is a stupid argument. You honestly can't say they make the same power from the motor if they dyno the same at the wheels. Both cars are totally different in setup. They may share the same power-plant, but they don't share the same exhaust or drive train setup. The numbers are also highly skewed depending on where you go. I've seen that on the same dyno, LS1 F-bodies dyno between 290-305, while I've seen (again on the same dyno) LS1 Corvettes dyno between 295-315. (My dad's 2003 LS1 Vette dyno'd 309RWHP on that same dyno.)

I guess you F-body guys don't know about the Corvette waive. I never got that much with my past F-bodies. All I ever got were other muscle cars trying to race me.
I get the wave more often when I'm out of the state. But I do get the wave now-and-then here in Los Angeles. I always wave.

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Independent Rear End Vs Solid Axle. Take your pick. That's the difference. Unless you want to say that the F-Bodys CAN hold 4 people... (uncomfortably). Stock v. Stock, it was always a drivers race, and I've seen both sides winning.
Wow... That's like saying the difference between an apple and an orange is JUST the color. If you could water down the two cars to 1 specific difference, that would be the WORST way to describe it.

Although, I have to admit, before when I had only owned F-bodies, that was what I though too. But I've owned 2 Vettes and 2 F-bodies and the difference between them are night and day as far as pretty much every aspect of the cars. Handling, interior, ride comfort, reliability, etc...
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
That's not true, actually. The only things with a Corvette tax are Exhaust items and seats
People say that but I think what most don't also factor in, the F-car has a lot of cheaper end parts, mild steel headers, etc. If you start comparing the higher end of the F-car parts, Kooks to Kooks, Corsas to Corsas and so on, the price differences some what shrink by a decent margin.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

One thing about a Vette to consider is the respect factor. I have not had one person try to race me, since I have had mine running for the past month and a half. My roomate just sold his 02 Formy, and we could find a race anytime we wanted in that. I do have to say, I can see how my car would be a little intimidating.

Not sure where you live and why people are intimidated by a Corvette. I'd say a little over half the time I see a Corvette I'll pull up next to them and see if they want to give it a go. Of course I know I'll lose, but it's a fun factor, for both of us. The Corvette guy gets the feeling of beating down some arrogant racer in a Camaro, and I get to say I raced a Corvette and didn't do half bad.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

Also, I know it's just personal opinion, but I think a well maintained Trans Am looks better than any C5 Corvette out there, way more aggressive. Of course people do'nt recognize Trans Ams and say, "Ooh! Look, a Trans Am!" the way people always recognize a Corvette because of the iconic 4 circular tail lights.

In my mind, the '98-'02 Trans Am was the way a modern muscle car should look, and they are intimidating. The C5 Corvette makes you look like you're in a midlife crisis and trying to find your identity. Not very desirable looking cars in my opinion.

However, the C6 Corvettes are far improved. They bring a European look of luxury with them, look more modern, more refined, and overall look like a true sports car and true head turner.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

i am totally stuck between ditching the camaro and getting a C5Z or just modding the camaro...

vettes are more expensive all around but its relative to quality and rarity. youve got tons of Fbodys out there but only a few C5Zs
Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sick_tight
i am totally stuck between ditching the camaro and getting a C5Z or just modding the camaro...

vettes are more expensive all around but its relative to quality and rarity. youve got tons of Fbodys out there but only a few C5Zs
Fbodies are getting rare too. I think there's more potential to bad had with the Vette, it's like 200-300 lbs lighter. If I were you I'd get the Vette, unless you're partial to the Camaro.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
For you guys that have gone from an LS1 Fbody to a C5 or vice-versa:

What do you see as the pro's and con's for the two?
Had a 99 vette n 2002z28. now 99 SS love it as much as vette performs almost as well looks bad *** less electronic bullshit n no trans axle but I'd dump for 02-04 z06 . I hear that's the best c5
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have these cars 2002 B4C, 2000 WS6, 2002 Z06, 1996 C4LT4. There is no comparison to any of the corvette. The C4 is superior in every way. The C5 is superior to the C4. I would put my C4 verses any F body any day of the week. Don't get me wrong I love my F bodies but they don't compare.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Fbodies are getting rare too. I think there's more potential to bad had with the Vette, it's like 200-300 lbs lighter. If I were you I'd get the Vette, unless you're partial to the Camaro.
i love them both, im more partial to the vette but like the reason most people get camaros (poor mans vette) i dont think i would be able to afford it at this point.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Both cars made 350hp from the factory, and generally dyno around 300RWHP. So its not 320hp vs 350hp, its 350 vs 350.

Never said there wasn't a weight difference. That will make a difference, but gearing can make up for it (like it does in this case).

The SS (WS6 and Firehawk as well) auto got 3.23 gears.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740885-post7.html
The guy said his vette had 2.73s, so theres why the SS was quicker.
Corvettes are also sending that power through CV shafts. The joints themselves introduce friction, especially when operating at an angle, and as a result some additional loss of power.

Corvettes also squat picking up camber, and reducing contact patch.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 01 up 6 speed vettes with the 3:45 gears, are .5 quiker than say a 99 auto with 3:15 gears. 01 up has ls6 intake, bigger cam better pcm programming, a redesigned exhaust manifold, more heavy duty torque tube and other little things

That said, the fbody is only close in 1/4 mile numbers, after that, top speed, braking handling, style, its no contest, dont get me wrong, i do like the look of f bodies, but they remind of of someone holding on to their high school hot rod glory days.

The new ss doesnt even beat a 01 up c5. My friend has tried many times. Now im cammed with headers and he wont even try

Quick Reply: C5 vs. Fbody