Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Weird Thud or metallic clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weird Thud or metallic clunk!

One day I drove my car 60 miles on my way to spectate at the track. When I got off the interstate I felt and heard a thud come from up under the car. I pulled over and shut the car off and looked up under it. I cranked the car back up and continued to the track. I heard the thud one more time on the way going. I was at the track for several hours. I drove home and did not hear anymore thuds. I drove the car everyday for a week in hopes of hearing the thud and jacking the car up and finding out where it was coming from. As soon as I take the hydraulic jack out and put her back in the garage I go visit Alky Control for a new meth pump. On the way coming home from there I get 3 miles from my house and hear the thud. I would hear it at idle via clutch engaged and not engaged. I could not duplicate above 50mph, but when cruising below 50mph it would intermittently thud. I get home and immediately shut the car off. Get the jack and lift the car and then crank her back up and no thud for about 30 minutes while I sat under the car waiting to see where it was coming from. Decided to put the car back in the garage. I plan to do some more troubleshooting on my next day off which will be next Monday.

One of my friends thinks it could possibly be TO Bearing or possibly my starter. It is time to change my clutch fluid. It is real dirty. Its just weird it would go away for a whole week and then come back. It did not matter if I was stopped or rolling. Any other ideas?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok guys I figured it out. The heat from my passenger side turbo burned through some of the heat shielding I have around the wires. That explains why I only heard the noise when things got really hot. The starter would get so hot it would short and engage the flywheel intermittently. Which made that nasty noise. Going to re do all the wiring again with better heat shielding..

Quick Reply: Weird Thud or metallic clunk!