Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Accelerator Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accelerator Whine

I am trying to diagnose a problem with my 2001 6 speed coupe.

When I am in any gear and press on the accelerator there is a very audible whine. Sometimes the car doesnt do it - sometimes it is barely audible - and sometimes it is ridiculously loud. But the car tends to do it in spurts - meaning that if it starts doing it it does it right away and for the entire drive or else it doesn't do it at all for the etire drive.

When the clutch is engaged the car does not make this noise regardless of any other variables.

When the engine is revved high and then allowed to wind down it does not make the noise. Only when accelerating in gear.

As the RPM speed increases the pitch of the whine grows higher and I am having a difficult time figuing out if the whine is from the front or the rear of the car.

I have heard about a fuel pump whine on these cars and I am hoping that that is the problem, though that is probably just wishful thinking. My real fear is that it is the tranmission. I just bought this car and it DID NOT do this when I purchased it. Now of course it does... anyways, it drives fine and everything grabs great. No slippage - No lack of power. After about a week I started noticing the whine and it is becoming more frequent and louder (as these things tend to do). I am a pony car man so the LS1 and Chevy's are new to me - not to mention my knoweledge of transmissions is rather limited.

Can anyone help?

Please respond to sacredrage@aol.com
Old 03-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the way you described the noise as being only on acceleration i would look at the rear
end gears,but the fact that it comes and goes it could be a wheel hub,see if the noise changes turning left to right as to change the load an the wheels. the throwout bearing can also be noisey but the noise generaly goes away when you press the cluth pedal in.

Quick Reply: Accelerator Whine