Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Do more people prefer 6 speed corvettes over auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Autos are boring.
While I'll be the first to admit that a true manual with a clutch can be more thrilling/more exciting, I can assure you that there is NOTHING boring about running 10s and/or nearly 130mph in the 1/4 mile in an automatic Corvette.
I have friends that run 8s in there automatic Corvettes as well, trust me, they don't EVER get bored doing it either LOL.

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
This forum will be a biased representation of the real car sales. People who post on this forum are gearheads. Gearheads prefer manuals. Not everyone buying a Corvette is a gearhead.
True.
But then again, not every gearhead (Corvette owner or otherwise) is a 'manual only' type of person either.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Question

The real question should probably be (and a question that might even become very relevant soon), where do all of you 'it must be a manual only' types fall if/when the Corvette gets a sequential manual 'F1 style' trans during the C7 era? Especially if it becomes the only trans offered.
It is still a true manual transmission in the strictest sense of the definition, clutch and all, but it still has only two pedals and doesn't necessarily even have to be shifted manually at all.
Just curious.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Auto shifter here & in traffic its a blessing. When I drag race its pretty consistent and hits hard off the line with the 3500 stall & 3:73 gears. No worries about missed shifts either. Now if I lived in a more rural area with plenty of twisty roads & /or race course the car than stick shift would be my choice.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Launching!

These cars really shine on the road course. Beyond weight they have no advantage over a fbody at the drag strip. Autos sucks on a road course.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 speed the end, auto sports cars are no fun, unless its a drag car i will only own a 6 speed, maybe if its a big turbo car i would want an auto but outside of those 2 stick is the way to go
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The real question should probably be (and a question that might even become very relevant soon), where do all of you 'it must be a manual only' types fall if/when the Corvette gets a sequential manual 'F1 style' trans during the C7 era? Especially if it becomes the only trans offered.
It is still a true manual transmission in the strictest sense of the definition, clutch and all, but it still has only two pedals and doesn't necessarily even have to be shifted manually at all.
Just curious.
It likely will! The rumors are that Chevrolet wants to make the Corvette more "selective" (meaning added price to keep it out of the average working American's reality). I think that could be a bad move, as the Corvette has always been a great performance value and people love it because it is available to all demographics.

The ZL1 was supposed to be only manual when it came out. Now they added the auto because they knew sales wouldn't be as high for it with manual being the only option.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
The ZL1 was supposed to be only manual when it came out. Now they added the auto because they knew sales wouldn't be as high for it with manual being the only option.
To be honest I am itching to build a 4th gen LS1 and will go with a TH400. I wouldn't want to drive a manual car constantly in traffic or at the drag strip.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

But then again, not every gearhead (Corvette owner or otherwise) is a 'manual only' type of person either.
While true, manual Vettes always have a higher resale price against a comparable automatic.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
While true, manual Vettes always have a higher resale price against a comparable automatic.
That absolutely applies to the earlier cars (C1 - C3) but I'm not entirely convinced that it also applies to the later/current (C5 & C6) generations.
And I'm not talking about Z06s here as they're sort of a separate model that only came as a manual anyway. I'm talking manual coupes/convertibles versus automatic coupes/convertibles from the C5/C6 era.
Not sure if you'd missed my post one page back or not but this is why I say that.

The manuals have value because there are fewer of them, and of course rarer is often more valuable.
But the automatics still appeal to a wider/larger audience and therefor will ALWAYS find a buyer. Everyone that can drive a manual can also drive an automatic but not everyone that can drive an automatic can also drive a manual. So an automatic is still likely to sell before a manual will but to the person that 'has to have it now' the manual might bring in slightly more ca$h.
Wheat bread is better for us (and even tastes better in my opinion) than white bread, yet white bread still outsells wheat.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I'll be the first to admit that a true manual with a clutch can be more thrilling/more exciting, I can assure you that there is NOTHING boring about running 10s and/or nearly 130mph in the 1/4 mile in an automatic Corvette.
I have friends that run 8s in there automatic Corvettes as well, trust me, they don't EVER get bored doing it either LOL.

True.
HAHA... It's a 10 second thrill. I'd rather have a thrill every time I drive. And the great part about a manual is that you can have fun away from the track. Having to get up to 130MPH in 1/4 mile sounds fun for a couple seconds. But going straight with your foot mashed to the floor isn't a skill so it's less of a thrill. You can put the car on auto pilot with a brick and a wheel lock.

Having a stalled auto in traffic is just harsh. Maybe not on you, but on the car itself not to mention that the car is less practical with a big stall. While having a manual isn't great in traffic either, the only real benefit to an auto in traffic comes if you're car is stock. At least with a manual, you're not going to hurt the car in traffic if it's modified.

In all fairness, though, I'm likely going to buy a C7 when they come out and if they have a good dual clutch auto, that's likely what I'm going to get. I'm starting to worry about my knees, and I'm going to keep my C5Z, so I'll have the best of both worlds. Aside from that, I hardly drive during the day so I don't have to deal with traffic that often, even here in Los Angeles.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Having a stalled auto in traffic is just harsh. Maybe not on you, but on the car itself not to mention that the car is less practical with a big stall. While having a manual isn't great in traffic either, the only real benefit to an auto in traffic comes if you're car is stock. At least with a manual, you're not going to hurt the car in traffic if it's modified.
I had a manual and for me it was not a fun car to drive in the heavy traffic I drive. My A6 with a Yank 3200 is great in traffic. I feel it should have came from the factory stalled this way. Definitely not the harshness you describe for big stalls. It's not the best choice for track but I can beat a manual drag racinig with equal power and weight every time. Even a couple of C6Z06s. I do not road race so an auto is the best choice for me.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

HAHA... It's a 10 second thrill. I'd rather have a thrill every time I drive. And the great part about a manual is that you can have fun away from the track. Having to get up to 130MPH in 1/4 mile sounds fun for a couple seconds. But going straight with your foot mashed to the floor isn't a skill so it's less of a thrill. You can put the car on auto pilot with a brick and a wheel lock.

WTF?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

That absolutely applies to the earlier cars (C1 - C3) but I'm not entirely convinced that it also applies to the later/current (C5 & C6) generations.
And I'm not talking about Z06s here as they're sort of a separate model that only came as a manual anyway. I'm talking manual coupes/convertibles versus automatic coupes/convertibles from the C5/C6 era.
Not sure if you'd missed my post one page back or not but this is why I say that.

The manuals have value because there are fewer of them, and of course rarer is often more valuable.
But the automatics still appeal to a wider/larger audience and therefor will ALWAYS find a buyer. Everyone that can drive a manual can also drive an automatic but not everyone that can drive an automatic can also drive a manual. So an automatic is still likely to sell before a manual will but to the person that 'has to have it now' the manual might bring in slightly more ca$h.
Wheat bread is better for us (and even tastes better in my opinion) than white bread, yet white bread still outsells wheat.
True. I've seen base c5s/c6s go for higher prices as well, but never paid attention to sale length.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Teching In

I bought my 05 C6 A4 with the specific intention of making it a dragstrip car.

The combination of lower price, smaller brake package (for smaller wheels) and auto trans was exactly what I was after.
I'll take a race-prepped automatic over a stickshift any day.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make vettes with autos?????
Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yullose
I bought my 05 C6 A4 with the specific intention of making it a dragstrip car.

The combination of lower price, smaller brake package (for smaller wheels) and auto trans was exactly what I was after.
I'll take a race-prepped automatic over a stickshift any day.
I'm pretty sure the C6 is a 6 speed auto not a 4 speed.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
The 2005 had a 4 speed automatic. 6 speed 2006 and up. http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/2005/specs.shtml
Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
From 2006 forward, you're correct.
In the C6's introductory year it's only available automatic was the 4L65E (4 speed auto.).

Originally Posted by Larry
The 2005 had a 4 speed automatic. 6 speed 2006 and up. http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/2005/specs.shtml
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

From 2006 forward, you're correct.
In the C6's introductory year it's only available automatic was the 4L65E (4 speed auto.).
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd notice the difference between a 4-speed and 6-speed auto.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Corvette=manual trans.

Thats how it's always gonna be in my book.

Sure, autos have they're place,....

Quick Reply: Do more people prefer 6 speed corvettes over auto?