Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

98 corvette/squeaking problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 corvette/squeaking problem

just need to know how to fix this problem, I'm at 50k miles and I replaced the belt and tension pulley but still have this annoying squeak. I took it to GM and they said it was my belt, and then then the second time I took it back (since they didn't fix it the first time) they said it was tension pulley. I don't know what to do now but to replace idler pulley, but before I do that I rather get suggestions and advice on this, any help is good, and using a belt spray almost caused my belt to slip off, maybe sprayed too much but will never use that again, any help is appreciated.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

take the belt off, and spin each pulley by hand. see if any of them makes any noise.

before that, look at it from the side with the engine at idle. anything wobbling? anything look out of line? how about the crank pulley?

sorry for them being backwards..it's late and i'm tired.

also.....stop taking it to the dealer. find a local shop that you can feel confident in. dealers suck. as in they'll suck your wallet dry and you'll still have the problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Teching In

yeah, I appreciate it, the dealer really did not do anything but give me a new belt only for the problem to come back, that goes just to enforce the fact on not going to the dealer. I'll do that, thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

The balancer is a common problem on these cars. I am in the process of doing mine. I would look in the aftermarket for one, or the problem can come back easy. A good friend of mine that runs a local shop has a customer that has been through 3 balancers in his C5. I am going with a Rolmac, but if you got the big bucks the ATI is great. They are a bear to do, since you have to pull the steering rack out. Usually, they are more of a chirp tho. Could be the Alternator if it is a squeak. Good luck finding it.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Alright, I check those out as well, thx for the input.

Quick Reply: 98 corvette/squeaking problem