Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Parts needed TR6060 to 4L60e swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts needed TR6060 to 4L60e swap

Need a parts list of everything I would need to do this auto swap in my 08 C6 Z51.

Also need to know if my 3.90 gears would be "too much" for an auto. It will be mostly street use but will see some passes once I do the swap.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need a torque converter, bell housing, converter drive plate, spline clamp, torque tube, brake pedal, shifter, linkage, and transmision controller
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
You'll need a torque converter, bell housing, converter drive plate, spline clamp, torque tube, brake pedal, shifter, linkage, and transmision controller
Awesome thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

And flexplate
Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure if this is applicable, since you have the TR-6060, but Speartech makes a harness that wires into the factory PCM for T-56 to 4l60 or 4l80 conversions (they are different harnesses so make sure you get the right one). This is only 200 bucks compared to buying a external transmission controller which can be expensive depending on which one you get. I think it would work because I think all it does is changes the clutch sensor over to parking lockout or something like that. You might want to call them and make sure. It would take some time, but if your confident and know your way around wires and electronic it would save you some money. All you would then need to do is reflash the PCM to an automatic.

Also, why no 4l80?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I am not sure if this is applicable, since you have the TR-6060, but Speartech makes a harness that wires into the factory PCM for T-56 to 4l60 or 4l80 conversions (they are different harnesses so make sure you get the right one). This is only 200 bucks compared to buying a external transmission controller which can be expensive depending on which one you get. I think it would work because I think all it does is changes the clutch sensor over to parking lockout or something like that. You might want to call them and make sure. It would take some time, but if your confident and know your way around wires and electronic it would save you some money. All you would then need to do is reflash the PCM to an automatic.

Also, why no 4l80?
I will definitely check it out! Thank you. And I am not doing a 4l80 because of cost and the horrible job it is on a C6! I talked to a few people and am confident that a 60 will be built that will hold up for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Do you know which of these parts should be "built" and which would be ok stock? RPM sells most of them but it certainly drives the cost up significantly.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

RPM offers 4l60e's that seems to hold up well. There was a thread on here where there was a Corvette that a sponsor had, and he was talking about how well it's held up. RPM's level 7 is like $4600 and has been used behind alot of 9 second cars with great success according to their website.

I know on the 4l60e's that there are alot that goes into building them because frankly they just don't hold the power an 80e can hold so alot of parts have to be replaced for them to be reliable, just look and what they offer.

Extreme Automatics offers one good to 700hp, I've heard nothing but good things about them. But its a one man show so there may be a little bit of a wait. His is 1895 + shipping and can do a corvette core for an extra 750.

Jake's Performance offers 3 different levels:
stage one up to 450hp - 1750
stage two is 500hp to 650hp - 2000
stage three 650+ hp - 3250

Vehicle weight has alot to do with how well the 60e survives IMO, since you have a Corvette I think it will be a little more forgiving versus something like a F-body or GTO. Also if you want a trans brake for any of the ones I listed above will be extra.

Like I said, you can't skimp on building a 60e or you'll end up doing it twice. It is not uncommon to hear people having to build their 60's 2-3 times.

What is your power level and ET goals?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sell me your TR6060.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Teching In

My power is 630whp and 580wtq (maggie tvs2300 and heads/cam +boltons) and I am unsure of my ET goals, most passes with be 1/8th mile anyway. Mainly just for fun and hangin out with the guys on fri and sat night. I have been emailing with Jake and he is confident he can build me a 60 that will hold so I am leaning his way ( I have not talked to RPM, emails have been unreturned so I need to call them because it would probably be easier to get a complete conversion price from them. I was shopping around for the parts I need because the small parts from RPM realy start to add up $$$ That is why I asked what I could just buy stock. Thanks for your input I gladly accept any help as I am new to the drivetrain upgrades!

I will list all parts for sale once I have Auto parts lined up to buy. I have like 5 people wanting my tr6060, but I will post in each thread I have posted this stuff in when the parts are out of the car.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give Lonnie a call at Extreme Automatics too, talk to him about your power level and see if his will hold. He has a great reputation and is a stand up guy. If his 60e will hold I would go with him because he builds great transmission. His is also likely going to be the cheapest.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Give Lonnie a call at Extreme Automatics too, talk to him about your power level and see if his will hold. He has a great reputation and is a stand up guy. If his 60e will hold I would go with him because he builds great transmission. His is also likely going to be the cheapest.
I certainly will, thanks again for your help. I am hoping he has or can get all the parts I need and say here is your price, because Jake said he doesnt do the conversion in a vette but could build the tranny. I dont want to buy that and then get retailed on all the small parts because they are outrageous!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish it was that easy to swap an A6 to a 4L60....... Good luck with the swap.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Problem i am having is all the "beefy" parts I need! The install is easy and the tranny doesnt cost that much its all the extra parts that add up.

I going from a manual tr6060 to A4 ( 4l60) btw
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Sell me your TR6060.

Originally Posted by Getburnt
My power is 630whp and 580wtq (maggie tvs2300 and heads/cam +boltons) and I am unsure of my ET goals, most passes with be 1/8th mile anyway. Mainly just for fun and hangin out with the guys on fri and sat night. I have been emailing with Jake and he is confident he can build me a 60 that will hold so I am leaning his way ( I have not talked to RPM, emails have been unreturned so I need to call them because it would probably be easier to get a complete conversion price from them. I was shopping around for the parts I need because the small parts from RPM realy start to add up $$$ That is why I asked what I could just buy stock. Thanks for your input I gladly accept any help as I am new to the drivetrain upgrades!

I will list all parts for sale once I have Auto parts lined up to buy. I have like 5 people wanting my tr6060, but I will post in each thread I have posted this stuff in when the parts are out of the car.
I hope I was the first one over on Vette forum.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Yes you are, i saved your PM over there so I remember your name. I actually just got the price list from RPM and its a bit higher than I was hoping (all the little pieces add up quick) so i am currently looking for used parts. May be awhile before I end up doing the swap, but I will let you know before I sell the TR6060.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Getburnt
Yes you are, i saved your PM over there so I remember your name. I actually just got the price list from RPM and its a bit higher than I was hoping (all the little pieces add up quick) so i am currently looking for used parts. May be awhile before I end up doing the swap, but I will let you know before I sell the TR6060.
Thankin you. I will keep my eyes peeled for some good used components.

Quick Reply: Parts needed TR6060 to 4L60e swap