Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

any downsides of a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any downsides of a vette?

just want to hear what you all have to say, and be honest because i am going to look at one tomorrow...

please share with me anything...

are parts more expensive for vettes?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:28 AM
blownerator

Not anything I can think of!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Some parts are more expensive.

Cant haul a bunch of people around in it.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tire noise is tremendous after 65mph, wind noise coming in from the windows is loud over 85mph on windy days, but only on windy days. A little bit of a workout getting in and out of the Vette, fit and finish on the body panels is substandard. The cheap plastic parts of the interior have a tendency to creak while driving. Even mild driveways cause the front plastic airdams to scrub, but you get used to that.

Every complaint I have has been on cheapness of the interior of the vehicle, and the main features that are being addressed in the new C6, but it doesn't take someone with a lot of skill to determine these, things, they are the common things that people complain of. Oh yeah, and I forget about all the negative things, everytime I step on the gas.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Somewhat of a lame exhaust note(except ZO6). I think aftermarket performance parts tend to be a little more expensive. WHile some think it is to gouge the more well to do owner, a lot of times the fit and clearance issues are a lot tighter(ie headers or exhaust). Other than that, Hodgee just about covered it. The ZO6 does not creak at all. The targa vette has a tendency to creak where the top mates to the windshield. Tire noise is a bit loud and about 10x louder on the ZO6. Another thing is you always get the screwballs at the light that wanna race in a very unworthy car......like ricers. The coupe will buffet like crazy above 65mph with the top off. Tires can be quite expensive if you keep the runflats(which also contribute a lot to the tire noise). The "louder" colors(yellow and red) do attract the cops. While the interior does not look all that stylish, all the switches do work well and the ergonomics are pretty decent.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
Tires can be quite expensive if you keep the runflats
what is runflats??

and my camaro rattles alot... are the corvettes any worse you think?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Runflats are expensive as ****, Some parts are more expensive, Good luck on going to wall mart, you cant fit anything in it. O and if I had to do it again get the extended warrenty.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
what is runflats??

and my camaro rattles alot... are the corvettes any worse you think?
Runflats are tire that can continue even flat.

Goodyear - EMT = extended mobility tire

Michelin - ZP = zero pressure

etc, etc, etc

They use use runflats because they don't don't come with a spare. Some people choose to switch to regular tires for better performance. I still use runflats because it is my daily driver I don't want to risk getting stranded.

I don't think my vette is any more noisy than my WS6 was. Bout the same. Hard to park sometimes not enough room to open big ol doors and roll out. Definatley harder getting in and out of but I don't mind.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Downers =
*Loud tire noise if equiped with runflats or zero pressure tires.
*Runfalats expensive to replace $375 each and do not have very good traction in the colder weather or under heavy accleration.
*Maintenance is more expensive period, $85 for dealer oil change.
*Modding will cost more, why do not really know why.
*Torque tube noise, this is something I had to get familar with.
*Tires are 17" front and 18" rear so there is not any tire rotation. No big deal to me, but some insist that this promotes premature tire wear.
*Cleaning, Vettes should always be spotless.
*Ricers, Mustangs and everyone else wants to try you.
*Early cars have a seat track issue that cause the seat to rock back and forth, "Rocking seat" as it is refered to. this can be fixed in an afternoon.
*The headlights are the crappy Halogen. For a car of this status, this is unaccepatble, to me anyways.

Uppers =
*Its a Corvette!
*Relativley low vehicle weight for size.
*Handling is fabulous.
*Low 13 to high 12 second car off the lot.
*I no longer am asked to drive to lunch at work and I have a reason not to drive anywhere because its a two seater!
*Plastic body panels.
*Aerodynamics that are class leaders.
*Cleaning, a Vette should be spotless and its a joy to wash and dry.
*Ricers, Mustangs and everyone else wants to try you. Just have to learn to say "See you at the track"
*Gas milage, drove 5hours to New York and averaged 31mpg.
*If equipped Active Handling is a gret babysitter to make sure you keep on the road.

Ummm Thats about it. I tell my wife on a daily basis, "I love my Vette"

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

ROJO99, LOL, that was great man. "i tell my wife on daily basis, 'I love my vette'"...classic.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

They are perfect!!

Last edited by TTtop; 04-23-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Not to highjack SSGIRLS thread, but my wife must put up with me, she was just accepted into Law school, and sacrifices must be made and hers is hearing about my Corvette all the time .
Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Launching!

If given the chance to buy a Vette, I would do it in a second. I have loved the cars since day one. My father has a '69 Vette, and there is something special about the bond that people get with Corvettes. I am not trying to say that this does not come with other cars, I have been in love with Camaros since I owned my first, a 92 RS. I have always admired the Vette's, and as I start to look closer I think the desire for one has gone up. I have two kids and a Vette would be like **** on a bore hog for me. I hope to own one someday, the soone the better.

Having said that, I had the chance to drive on 04 Z06. I loved the car. The only complainty I had with it has already been addressed, the quality of the interior. Other than that, put a loud exhaust on and you wont hear the rattles.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

this is good stuff, i will be getting a 04 in a few weeks.

does anyone have a fix for the wind buffet problem with the top off? are there any sort of deflectors that you can get?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get an extended warranty... If you are looking at a used vette, which I believe you were... The earlier ones have common issues of the rear seal leak, bad alternator, bad fuel pump, rocking driver's seat, etc..... Electrical issues, in the C5... The battery is over the computer, sometimes the crappy stock battery will leak a little and fry the computer below. They are good cars, but there are some EXPENSIVE common maintenance problems with them... A warranty is definitely a plus with these cars. I really enjoy my car though..... 99' FRC. If people are having issues with the wind noise with their windows.... all they need to do is adjust the windows to get a better fit.... My first C5 was a coupe, yeah, it was nice for quite awhile to take the top off, but after awhile it was more of a nuisance.. in terms of water leaks, the additional body flex, wind noise with it off and on, etc... I also prefer the FRC and Z06 body over the coupe.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I agree that there are some panel gap issues in the interior. I have zero rattles (velcro strips on the targa latches cures that issue). Tire noise is a byproduct of the runflats, I ditched them and carry a plug kit + inflator (big improvement in ride and handling). I do most all my own maintenance (including oil changes), but aftermarket parts are pricey compared to F-bodies. My C5 does not seem to have any more wind noise than my '96 WS6 did (its noticeable, but not a distraction). In 3yrs of ownership I have had a passenger side window failure. Other than that its been a great car. I get about 29-32mpg on the highway with a mixed average of 24-26mpg. I've had the car to 178mph and it was rock solid. Handling on a Z51 equipped coupe or vert, Z06, or aftermarket equipped car is incredible. I do wish the interior were nicer, but where are you going to find a car that has these capabilities this cheap?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

TTtop why would you post that? Hopefully no one gets any ideas
Old 04-23-2004, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wicked 98z
TTtop why would you post that? Hopefully no one gets any ideas
I hope all vette owners get ideas from it on how to safeguard their car!

The guys over on corvetteforum did'nt mind hearing the details! Several were appreciative to find out in a post what could happen, rather than learn it the hard way, their car gets damaged/stolen. It gives them a chance to do something about it.

Sorry if it ruffled your feathers, but it's an untalked about problem. In the interest of not fostering any future thieves, it's been deleted.

Enjoy your vette!

Last edited by TTtop; 04-23-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would never go to the trouble to do that, what a waste of time, and energy. Do you know how easy it is to just smash the window and grab what you want? You would get more looks at the corvette prying on the damn window then if someone smashed the window, the alarm goes off, and they take a minute to look for valuables, or your targa top. I work in law enforcement, and I have never met a car theif that would go through that problem, unless he was a complete amature!! If someone wants your car they will get your car period! No matter what alarm, no matter if there is a kill switch, even if you have the LoJack device. The pros know ways to kill or bypass everything, and can still steal your car in about 30 to 60 seconds. The most famous one we get now in Vegas, is the tow trucks with the auto wheel latch system. Don't matter if you grab the rear wheels, or the front wheels. If they can back up into you(even in full parking lots), they got your car. They don't care if you got the emergency brake locked, a club or brake pedal locking mechanism, or even if the wheel is turned all the way one dirrection or the other, they just drive and drag it for about a half mile from the location, then hop out and do their thing, and there is not a single cop that will stop them to ask what they are doing, cause repos are a dime a dozen, and seen everyday. Talk about a run on sentence. The most part they don't care if they smash your car and everyother one in the parking lot, cause it will be stripped, they care usually for high dollar cars that start in the $70,000 and up category. Since they take these to California and send them overseas for merchandise trade, like weapons, fake blank id's, drugs, and the usual what not.

The safest way to leave your vehicle is to lock up the car, leave the glove box, and center console unlocked, turn the wheel all the way to the left, not the right, forget any steering wheel lock or brake lock system. Park under a lamp, and parallel park so that there is no access to your front or back tires. Have an alarm with a bright flashing light that can be seen anywhere in the vehicle, then get a contact alarm, that will only go off if something touches the vehicle, not noise from the wind or a loud motorcycle, with a pager system with automatic reporting to LoJack and yourself. Lojack will send out its signal as soon as the vehicle is rolling. They have alarms that work with static charge, and will go off if you even brush the window with a your pinky.

I personally don't care that much, and carry good Gap insurance, and a standard $5000 dollar item recovery policy that usually costs about $5 a month from my insurance. I have had one vehicle that was stolen and joyridden into a poll and totaled. I got $28000 for the vehicle, and got $3500 fro the Gap insurance and got the $5000 flat rate of the pollicy! I was in a new vehicle within 2 weeks, and it cost me $4000 dollars less with the down payment and the registration was taken out of the additional policy, which left me $250 to get the windows tinted!

If they want your stereo, got it. If they want your targa top, got it, if they want your rims, even if you have every nut is a locking lug nut, got it! I have talked to hundreds of car thiefs, either the whole car or just stuff in your car. And they are basically the same. The kid trying to break into your car is the only one that will take that time, to try to not set off the alarm. I have personally learned how to pop your lock on almost all cars out there with just a wire hanger.

Here is a tip though, the average smash and grab crook, will look in your glove box, and center console, if they are locked they will take the time to search those areas hard. If they are open, they usually will just glance at them. About 80 to 90% of the guys I talked to usually don't bother a car with open windows, cause for the most part, they know the owners usually don't keep anything of value in the car. Do not leave your registration in any of your vehicles, carry them in your wallet or purse, identity theft is rampage with insurance forms for getting fake id's and what not from the DMV.

The average smash and grab gets pissed off that the average consumer locks there vehicles so tight, cause they hate searching a car with no valuables, which leads me to the biggest tip. DO NOT LEAVE, garage door openers in the car, and DO NOT LEAVE anything of value in your car, it is no safer then leaving it on a bus stop bench. I know a lot of you will balk at the garage door openers. Most Corvette owners are usually in their 50's and make over $100,000 dollars a year, which makes you a prime target for home theft.

Get this, they get your registration card with your address on it, they get your garage door opener, hmmm, call info get a home number and call, no answer. Hmmm your at the movies and no answer at home. GUESS WHAT?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Teching In

SS Girl,

I am somewhat new to this site, so please forgive me if I mention the obvious. I assume from your name you own a ss camaro. Best friend has a 1996 and it does not hold a candle to the 02 or newer vettes. His car tends to be a rattle trap. Here's my pro's and cons to the c5 02 and newer

Pro's
For the price you can't find a better performing car
Off showroom floor (well a year later) no mods bonestock 12.87 @111 put drag radials on it nothing else 12.64 @111.98
Kids, Men, Women, whoever loves an American Icon loves this car
Vette owners have a special brother/sisterhood, the owners of these cars tend to be very helpful especially at the track
Gas mileage is incredible if you drive it like a civilized human being. I have gotten 23.2mpg in the city with the 6 speed. This is better than 2.8 v6 5 speed s-10

Cons
My wife thinks the C5 wave is cheesy, I of course think its the coolest thing
If you really pound the car the clutch will **** the bed
The run flat tires leave something to be desired
If you get black and drive it everyday you will be washing it everyday. It's a vette it should always be spotless.
If you hammer the car all the time it will only get about 12-15 mpg
interior is not that much different than a camaro's and when you pay 15-20k more for a car you want a little more than a plastic interior

Quick Reply: any downsides of a vette?