Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Small, Fun FRC Build (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small, Fun FRC Build (Pic Heavy)

This is my first "build thread" so bear with me as it's probably not as detailed as most. Last year I had sold my 2000 WS6 to make the jump to a stock 1999 Corvette FRC.

Of course, like any other guy on this forum, I merely could not keep it stock like I planned, it KILLED ME to drive a car knowing the cats were still intact lol. Well the modding began. The first mod were a set of JBA long tube headers.

These headers were connected via an offroad x-pipe and ran to a set of z06 Ti mufflers to keep the noise down for a sleeper effect.
The car did have an ls6 intake manifold but I got a good offer on it and sold it to make way for a FAST 78 that I got an awesome deal on too.

I took a trip down to Lubbock for a Sysco Food Show and decided to pick up some parts from Scoggin Dickey to make the Fast 78 fit better and clean up the engine bay a bit. They also had a Powerbond underdrive pulley for my car for a lot less than retail because someone bought it trying to run a Corvette accessory drive on their truck and it didn't work so I picked it up as well.

Here's some install pics...

If you guys look closely my car doesn't have the protrusion blocking the 01+ valley cover like the pre 01 cars have, and FRC's are a 99-00 car, mine being a 99. Has anyone else seen or heard about something like this? I'm the third owner and nothing like this is in the cars history, and I'm the first one to mod it. That aside, after all this extra power I put at it, the 90,000 factory clutch, master, slave, and throwout bearing finally was giving out, giving my car any gas would net a completely limp and dead clutch. I went with the Tick Performance Monster Stage 2 clutch with the 18lbs flywheel, ARP bolts, Tick Master, and new slave cylinder and throwout bearing with a remote bleeder. I took it to a friend of mines shop to install it since labor was $1,000+ for a Corvette. Installation wasn't too bad besides the master cylinder.

This is one of the best things this car had seen, made driving the car so much for fun to drive. I no longer was locked out of any of my gears, the clutch never got mushy, etc. I was due for an oil change shortly after the clutch and decided to change them all!

My tentioner pulley bearing was making a loud squeal so I just decided to completely upgrade as Katech was having a sale.

Here's a shot of the finished engine bay

After all of this it was time to get her street AND dyno tuned. It hit 353rwhp and 362rwtq. Here's some dyno vids...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My future plans consists of mainly suspension/brake/wheel work as I'm happy at where my power levels and driveability are. The reliability has been great so far!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool beans man. 350 wheel in a vette is a ton of fun. Enjoy, and cool build man. Lol,...pain in the *** putting that master in while the pedal is mounted to the firewall....looks like someone got over that quick and just pulled out the pedal lol. Nice.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. The cars a blast to drive. That master cylinder's awful to install! But it's probably a one time thing hopefully
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, I bet.

I agree, it will probably be the last one you install in it for sure.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Nice work. A C5 guy doing his own work! I like it.
inside the engine looks nice and clean, intake ports too. I'm wondering if that isn't a later short block?

Ron
Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build man. Taking it to the track soon?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nice work. A C5 guy doing his own work! I like it.
inside the engine looks nice and clean, intake ports too. I'm wondering if that isn't a later short block?

Ron
You know, the only thing that sucked to install was the underdrive pulley because of the process it takes to get there. I had to replace my front seal too so a few more parts had to come off. That engine block is something I've been questioning for a real long time too. Nothing about a new engine has been recorded in the cars history, and I'm the third owner (first two were in Lubbock and I was in Amarillo at the time) and I'm the only one that has modded it. I went to install the 2004 ls6 valley cover and had my Dremel ready to cut the provision that's blocking the new valley cover and when I took my old valley cover I noticed there was no protrusion? Beats me lol
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Nice build man. Taking it to the track soon?
Thanks! I plan on hitting up a strip in Oklahoma when I get settled into my new home (just moved to Arkansas recently) to see what she'll run.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Looks nice. Almost did a modded FRC instead of getting a z06. You just need to add a si-trim or t-trim kit!!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ysb02
Looks nice. Almost did a modded FRC instead of getting a z06. You just need to add a si-trim or t-trim kit!!

You don't have any idea what I'd give up to have a Vortech system on my Corvette. I love bolt ons w/ Vortech Corvettes. I'm not one for lopey cams and such. I like making un-noticeable power but being 20 and in college that won't happen for another 4839394 years
Old 05-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

I just got done with a 99 frc build. Big cam and a bunch of bolt ons and it made 4XX to the wheels. I have a procharger kit for sale if you or anyone you know that may be interested...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by williamb81
I just got done with a 99 frc build. Big cam and a bunch of bolt ons and it made 4XX to the wheels. I have a procharger kit for sale if you or anyone you know that may be interested...
Dude, I'd sell my left nut for that set-up but sadly I can't afford something like that right now. I can ask around for you though
Old 07-27-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not an LS1 block. There are no bulls-eyes on the front edge, and as you mentioned that goofy thing under the valley cover is not present...
Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Worst thing was the UDP? I've done it all and a clutch replacement is the worst part. Just because everything has to come out.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
That's not an LS1 block. There are no bulls-eyes on the front edge, and as you mentioned that goofy thing under the valley cover is not present...
I researched the cars VIN on forums to try and find past owners and did a Car Fax and still nothing came up on the motor. I don't know how the hell that block made it into that car. Besides the ls6 block, everything else was old school ls1 from the PCV, to the intake, to the 856 heads, to the valley cover, to the cam etc. I'm still stumped to this day lol
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Worst thing was the UDP? I've done it all and a clutch replacement is the worst part. Just because everything has to come out.
Neither was actually all that bad at all. The underdrive just required moving parts that were a little harder to get to. That my my front seal was toast so I had to remove other parts to get my timing cover off lol. The clutch wasn't too bad either, I didn't exactly drop the rear completely, just lowered it down enough to slide it back a bit. The whole rear stayed suspended in the air the entire time the clutch was installed lol thank God for lifts!!
I'll add some pics to this thread pretty soon, I've lowered it a bit, purchased some polished z16 z06 wheels off of a 2004 Commemorative Edition z06, and I'm about to install a Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Suspension package from Pfadt.

Quick Reply: Small, Fun FRC Build (Pic Heavy)