Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Tranny change in Z06. Where to go.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Tranny change in Z06. Where to go.

Well my wife can definitely not be taught to drive a stick, especially in a car that has some power. The car is a modded 2002 z06.
So, I have a few choices and one is put in an automatic, the other is trade the car for another vette with an auto. The first option per RPM will be around 13k for everything. I about crapped myself when they give me a quote. Do any of you guys know someone else who does conversions on these cars. It has the c6z06 rear and built t56 tranny. Motor has cam, lifters, CNC heads, etc.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

!wife mod... lol j/k.

What were you expecting money wise? There's a lot to do for a manual to auto conversion so I doubt you see quotes much lower than that 13K from a reputable shop. Corvette transmission built to hold the power + converter + supporting hardware (flex plate, shifter, lines, cooler, etc.) + install and finally tuning. Lot's of labor too to make everything right and they're on the hook for issues. I guess you could sell you left over T56 pieces to recover some.

If you sell your Z and get a `06+ Z51 C6 it will at least have the A6 w/ paddle shift and the same suspension as your Z (when it was stock anyway) but you'll be starting from scratch motor wise. Around here stock Z pricing on a `02 is pretty close in line with a `06 C6.

Lastly, the route I'd go, is take $6-7K and look for her car/suv with an auto. Put her in that and keep your Z to yourself. I picked up a used `03 Yukon for $4K to keep my old lady out of my Corvette and Z71 (she has trashed my Z71). Yes the one I bought needed a little TLC but nothing major. Nicer ones could be had for 6K and babied ones for 7K. All of them WAY less than $13K, lol.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For $13K I'd buy her a stock C5 with a stick and let her learn from scratch
Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kurt D
!wife mod... lol j/k.

What were you expecting money wise? There's a lot to do for a manual to auto conversion so I doubt you see quotes much lower than that 13K from a reputable shop. Corvette transmission built to hold the power + converter + supporting hardware (flex plate, shifter, lines, cooler, etc.) + install and finally tuning. Lot's of labor too to make everything right and they're on the hook for issues. I guess you could sell you left over T56 pieces to recover some.

If you sell your Z and get a `06+ Z51 C6 it will at least have the A6 w/ paddle shift and the same suspension as your Z (when it was stock anyway) but you'll be starting from scratch motor wise. Around here stock Z pricing on a `02 is pretty close in line with a `06 C6.

Lastly, the route I'd go, is take $6-7K and look for her car/suv with an auto. Put her in that and keep your Z to yourself. I picked up a used `03 Yukon for $4K to keep my old lady out of my Corvette and Z71 (she has trashed my Z71). Yes the one I bought needed a little TLC but nothing major. Nicer ones could be had for 6K and babied ones for 7K. All of them WAY less than $13K, lol.
She has a new Tahoe and me a crew cab f150, f350 dually, s10 for the yard work, 93 mustang race car, 2002 convertible mustang GT. The problem I am having I we agreed that we would SHARE this car and I LIED cause I said she would be able to drive it. The only thing that is saving me is they don't make Z06's with auto's so I didn't have a choice LOL. I offered to get a different car but no dice. I lied and that is that right now. I may just try to trade on a 06 and be done with it but the Z06 mechanically is great and has a ton of dollars put into it beyond cosmetics. I am just going to keep trying on the driving a stick part cause I don't want to trade yet.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my auto swap on the cheap. 4l60, manual valve body, had it built, big stall, 3.42 gears and it's fun as hell. But it is alot of work to say the least. If I have any major engine or trans problems where I have to pull one or the other I'm going with a major change. Like 5.3 with a single turbo and back to a t56. Don't auto swap it lol
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trade it in for an auto unless you want to run a TH400. It's not worth the PITA install.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ysb02
Just trade it in for an auto unless you want to run a TH400. It's not worth the PITA install.
Sounds like I need to buy her some jewelry and tell her to get over it. LOL
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes! Do that! Lol Stick with M6.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Source the auto swap parts yourself and have rpm build the trans. I bet youll be quicker with a stalled auto plus you wont be going thru clutches. Your quote probly included all high end parts. Unless you plan on launching on a transbrake you could do without a few of the options such as sfi flexplate and quicktime bell. You might not need a lvl 7 trans either. I bet you could get it done considerably cheaper.

Quick Reply: Tranny change in Z06. Where to go.