Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 engine swap

Been thinking about beefing up my c5 for racing.
Long story short I may or may not have ran my engine to hot.gonna have to wait and see but I was wondering if anyone has done a 376 swap and ik an ls7 had been done but it's expensive so I'm thinking a 376 would be fun I can afford a 525 horse crate motor but I was wondering if it would bolt up to my t56 and what other obstacles I'd have
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmrobinson
Been thinking about beefing up my c5 for racing.
Long story short I may or may not have ran my engine to hot.gonna have to wait and see but I was wondering if anyone has done a 376 swap and ik an ls7 had been done but it's expensive so I'm thinking a 376 would be fun I can afford a 525 horse crate motor but I was wondering if it would bolt up to my t56 and what other obstacles I'd have
Make a Stroker out of yours if the block is still good. You will love the torque
Old 06-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Default Thought about it

Originally Posted by pittman
Make a Stroker out of yours if the block is still good. You will love the torque
I really feel like being stupid with my money and blowing it and I have a buddy who needs an ls1 for his 97 Mustang and I'd like to help him throw his 4.6 in the trash and give it a real power plant. And the motor might still be all good but I was just trying to find out what people have crammed in a c5 and worked and if my transmission would work
Old 06-23-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really feel like being stupid with my money and blowing it and I have a buddy who needs an ls1 for his 97 Mustang and I'd like to help him throw his 4.6 in the trash and give it a real power plant. And the motor might still be all good but I was just trying to find out what people have crammed in a c5 and worked and if my transmission would work
The overall size and architecture will be the same so, stuff in whatever you want according to budget. For example, 416 LS2/LS3's are available. Texas speed for example has good prices....scoggin dickie....etc. . .etc.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Default But wiring...

What do I about wiring harnesses? The plug ins surely aren't the same? How big of a pain would that be?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Teching In

What do I about wiring harnesses? The plug ins surely aren't the same? How big of a pain would that be?
It's not that bad. Racetronix, Casper's and a few others make conversion harnesses. You have to move the knock sensors to the side of the block(knock sensor relocation harness), the map sensor moves to the front of the intake (map extension harness)and your cam sensor moves to the front cover (cam sensor cobversion harness) youll also need to use an ls2 timing gear. If you use a crate motor you will need a lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion box for your cam and crank sensor and no need for the ls2 gear on the timing chain as the converter box changes it. If you go with a built block you can specify 24x reluctor and do away with having to use a conversion box, which is the route I went. Passenger side motor mount needs trimmed to clear a boss on the side of the ls3 block. All accessories, etc will bolt right up. The rest of it is pretty straight forward and well documented. Google ls3 c5 swap. Lots of info on the intricacies.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ncongnito
It's not that bad. Racetronix, Casper's and a few others make conversion harnesses. You have to move the knock sensors to the side of the block(knock sensor relocation harness), the map sensor moves to the front of the intake (map extension harness)and your cam sensor moves to the front cover (cam sensor cobversion harness) youll also need to use an ls2 timing gear. If you use a crate motor you will need a lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion box for your cam and crank sensor and no need for the ls2 gear on the timing chain as the converter box changes it. If you go with a built block you can specify 24x reluctor and do away with having to use a conversion box, which is the route I went. Passenger side motor mount needs trimmed to clear a boss on the side of the ls3 block. All accessories, etc will bolt right up. The rest of it is pretty straight forward and well documented. Google ls3 c5 swap. Lots of info on the intricacies.

Pretty much this. ^^^

I ended up modifying all of my factory connections(instead of buying a harness but the plug and play harness is the quick and easy way to go) to get my LS2 in my 00 C5. I also had to modify my passenger side motor mount for the LS2. Other then that,..all gravy.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

Default Cam sensor extension harness, cam gear etc and TRG-002

Just to clarify a few things mentioned below, if you have a 58x LS2 engine (or any 58x LSx engine) and are using the Lingenfelter TRG-002 to convert the 58x crank and 4x camshaft signals into the 24x crank and 1x camshaft signals the C5 PCM is expecting to see:

Do NOT use an additional camshaft sensor relocation harness. That is built into the TRG-002 and the stand-alone relocation harnesses also switch the pin wires since the sensors are different between the LS1 and the LS2. Since the TRG-002 harness also does the required pin switching this you would be switching them back and then the camshaft sensor signal will not read correctly.

Also, if you are using the TRG-002 do NOT change the camshaft timing gear to the 1x timing gear. The TRG-002 needs to see a 58x crankshaft signal and a 4x camshaft signal to work properly. It will not work with a 58x crankshaft signal and 1x camshaft signal.

Finally, if you are using the TRG-002 also make sure you use the crankshaft sensor that came with the 58x engine. Do NOT swap to the crankshaft sensor that came out of your 24x LS1 or LS6 engine. The sensors are different between the 24x and 58x engines for a reason.

Originally Posted by ncongnito
Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Yes, I could have been more concise with my answer. Sometimes I get ahead of myself. With that said, I have no experience with the converter box and read to much about problems and decided to stay away from them. From what I've gathered it was mostly first batch issues and/or wiring problems.

Quick Reply: C5 engine swap