Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 free mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the "zip-tie" mod be done on F-bodies also? And what is it that makes it work, just supplying even more air to the engine?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing pics of it, I wonder how sealed up the air filter really is now though? Won't it let in more dirt?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

I think you could just lay the filter in there without zip ties and it would let less dirt in than a Vararam.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:32 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Z06 airbox lid is better (more open) than a stock C5 lid.

With the Zip tie mod vs stock Z06 lid to a Zip tied lid I gained 15RWHP, and 11.8 Lb/ft Tq.

The Zip ties are used to prevent dirt from bypassing the airfilter, and to ensure you have a tight seal on the filter. And I would agree, even if you really muck it up, it would have to be better than the filter on the Vararam.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The very SAME plastic backing frame is used with or without the zip tie mod. The zip ties serve the same purpose as the TOP lid that is done away with....holding this frame snuggly against the filter. This frame is what pushes the filter into the BOTTOM lid which is where the sealing takes place. Understand again, the filter seals to the BOTTOM lid, not the top lid that we're removing here. Therefore, there CAN NOT possibly be any difference in filter sealing with this mod.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colonel
The very SAME plastic backing frame is used with or without the zip tie mod. The zip ties serve the same purpose as the TOP lid that is done away with....holding this frame snuggly against the filter. This frame is what pushes the filter into the BOTTOM lid which is where the sealing takes place. Understand again, the filter seals to the BOTTOM lid, not the top lid that we're removing here. Therefore, there CAN NOT possibly be any difference in filter sealing with this mod.
Very cool! Now I just need to resist doing the mod just long enough so that I can see how my car will run in 100% bone stock trim, then I'll probably do the mod right there at the dragstrip to see the difference in times.

I need to get a car first though, I'm growing super impatient, even though it's only been 2 business days that they've been going to the auctions for me looking for the car.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

zip tie mod here. It was easy and i could tell it picked up some hp. I dont know about that much though. Expecially from a roll. My vette moves for stock.

Albert

Quick Reply: C5 free mods?