Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Black box

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black box

My wife was in a accident , the police wanted access to the black box. They were trying to see if she was speeding. They download the info no speeding ticket issued but did get her a ticket for not wearing seat belt .Question when I get my new c6 can I take the black box out of car? Thanks you brian
Old 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Black box? Being an X GM technician for many years, never heard of such a specific thing. ONSTAR module(location), BCM,...ECM...are things they can access to note vehicle speed at time of failure/impact. I would have to look a little more into it, or ask one of my OG managers that may have intel I wasn't in the know about, which could be possible.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Teching In

They were triing to say she was speeding (she wasn't) but they new how fast she was going and that no break was depressed, she got a ticket for not having her seat belt on the other car was ticketed for turning in front of my wife .So can this be disabled on my new vette ?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:53 AM
Teching In

It's located under the radio
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Been in cars for years, most don't know they have them.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Can this be disabled ? In my wifes accident it actually helped us , witness said she was speeding but the black box had the last 5 seconds of the corvettte life so she got out that ticket. But wife ticketed for seat belt, "the black box" big brother sucks!!! So can this be disabled. Thanks guys
Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Black box? Being an X GM technician for many years, never heard of such a specific thing. ONSTAR module(location), BCM,...ECM...are things they can access to note vehicle speed at time of failure/impact. I would have to look a little more into it, or ask one of my OG managers that may have intel I wasn't in the know about, which could be possible.
I agree with V-series here - I don't know of any factory install component that logs this sort of data. They don't have a data recorder "black box" like an airliner. That being said:
Did the airbags deploy? If so there may some sort of data stamp that takes a snapshot at the time of impact, my guess would be that it would be part of the airbag module - if that's the case you would just have to unplug the airbag fuse(s). The GM term is "Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)" - it is located under the radio and HVAC controls.
Obviously you would have to weigh the risk of disabling your airbags vs no "black box" - to me I'd rather keep the safety features.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Read this, trust me, she had a black box. I understand this is wikipedia but it's pretty accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder

Or this one

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...rash-data.html

Or just google event data recorder - You'll even get links to the NHTSA

Last edited by Droptopws6; 01-21-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Yes the air bags went off. She was not wearing her seat belt the data recorder recorded the last 5 seconds of the corvettte life . Also stated that throttle position was speeding and also believe that they new the breaks were not touched . I did goole "does a 2001 corvette have a black box" it came up with a interesting post about a old man left golf course he stated he wasnt speeding. But after a sepona the cops downloaded the info of the last 5 seconds showing he was doing 100 plus I think . Thanks guys for yor input . I just wanna be informed so I can disable mine when I get my c6c

Thanks again
Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way to disable this black box or any black box
Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
There is no way to disable this black box or any black box
The articles above state that:
Event data recorders aren't actually black boxes but tiny microcomputer chip sets. In most vehicles, they're part of the airbag control module, and originally were included to ensure airbags deployed when they were supposed to.
The OP said that it was located under the radio - exactly where the airbag module is located.

So if you pull the airbag fuse, unplug and/or remove the module (depending on how determined/concerned you are about disabling it.) That would do a pretty good job of eliminating the "black box."
Old 01-22-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The black box is infused in the wiring on many separate functions and would probably require a bunch of splicing and re wiring and many hours of research
Old 01-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for your help
Old 01-22-2016, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
The black box is infused in the wiring on many separate functions and would probably require a bunch of splicing and re wiring and many hours of research
Do you really expect anyone to believe that?

http://www.airbagcrash.com/

The photo of the airbag module hooked up to the laptop sure looks like you need to have the module to read the data. That didn't take me very long to research maybe 10 min.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Teching In

If I could just pull a fuse to disarm the air bags I am thinking thats tbe way I will go . I have a crx that I drive as a work car it has no air bags you can start car without pushing the clutch in guessing its before all tbe safety options lol
Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

After taking a look at the electrical diagram the power to the module comes from the ignition 1 fuse, can't just pull the fuse. Looks like you'll have to unplug the module if you really want it disabled.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Thank you for your time and effort that's the plan . I will just disconnect the mod thamk you again
Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SHOW ME THE BLACK BOX guys..the one "infused" in the wiring, lol.

SRS module would have the data you're looking for....don't see any other modules possible to do so in a C5 vette. All airbag cars have YAW sensors....which is, underneath the radio on a C5 vette...which works in tandem with the SRS module....YAW send data...SRS module translates....determines in real time if it is necessary to deploy the airbag(s).... etc.

I have taken apart C5's to the bare bones pretty much....again...show me wtf you guys are talking about.....and it better not be a damn YAW sensor lol.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are event data recorders in most new cars, as mentioned they usually only retain the last few seconds of saved data. I dont know that they were in C5s, but surely in newer cars. It can be in any module, ABS, BCM, etc.

It will often report whether you were on the throttle or brakes, what RPM and speed, seatbelt status, etc.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

My first encounter with one was in a 4th gen F-body.

Quick Reply: Black box