Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

HELP! C5 Corvette Dies after I put it in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! C5 Corvette Dies after I put it in any gear

So go easy on me, my first post and I have been doing much research through old posts on this subject and have tried many different things to rectify the issue. First and foremost I purchased a 2000 Corvette Coupe 6MT about 8 months ago and have only had 1 instance of the "Service Column Lock". The car does has a CLB installed from Corvettes of Houston and I verified the installation looks correct from instructions I have found. I also have that relay in the passenger footwell behind the BCM module with the spliced purple wire if that makes a difference.

Anyways 2 weeks ago my ignition cylinder failed and after a couple locksmiths quoted over $400 to ONLY drill it out I declined and did it myself, purchased a new cylinder from my local dealer, had another locksmith key it to my key and reinstalled. Ignition turns and starts perfectly fine and it lets me drive it once before it locks up. After I pull the fuses for the BCM and let it sit I can start it up, drive around just fine park it shut it down and the next time I try to start it the engine dies when I start to let out the clutch. I get no messages at all on the DIC, or check engine lights, I tried to hold options and press fuel 4 times but I get no response from it.

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is theft light flashing?

If you replaced a key....or related to it, you will need to perform a theft relearn.

"30 min relearn".

I usually put a battery charger on a car, for this series. Simply go to car, turn key run but try not to start(if clutch car, don't press clutch)....turn key on to crank for a second, then let key sit in that position...for 10 minutes, or until the theft light stops flashing. Once done flashing, turn key off for a few seconds...then repeat the process(key to crank/run for a second-then let sit until theft light stops flashing roughly ten minutes).

You do this for a total of 3 times.

Also if a legit column lock...the car will start, but not roll more than a mph or two.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response, I gave that a try and no luck. I reached out to someone with a more advanced code scanner and found 3 codes in the BCM B2723 B2587 and B2592.

From the research ive done it looks like voltage may be an issue but I grabbed my meter and at each BCM fuse I was getting 12.3v with car off. Could this still be a ground issue? If I clear the codes I can drive it again once then when I shut it off and restart it then it cuts fuel again.

Quick Reply: HELP! C5 Corvette Dies after I put it in any gear