Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Autocross C5 Z51/CAM-S 'build'

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autocross C5 Z51/CAM-S 'build'

Been a while since I’ve made a build thread. Just going to keep track of my mods here.

I’ve been autocrossing my 2000 C5 Corvette in B-Street for the past two years. This year was really hard on the car, it basically started falling apart from the abuse and heat of autocrossing in Texas.

This summer, I replaced all of the coolant lines, found a broken motor mount, replaced the front control arms and bushings, and most recently installed a new crank balancer and water pump as the old parts were failing. My clutch started slipping on launches at Solo Nationals with hot tires, and it did it again at the last autocross after a clutch dump, so it’s time to dig into the car.

I’m ‘retiring’ the Corvette from B-Street after this season is over, and since I am taking the car apart for a clutch swap, I figured it’d be a good time to upgrade. I got the LS7 LUK clutch kit with a lightweight RAM flywheel, ARP bolts, and a new TOB. I also bought the Hinson poly trans mount and Creative Steel poly engine mounts. I’m also looking to upgrade the exhaust this winter. The car will run in CAM-S class, but it’s not going to be a full ‘build.’

The car is a stock 2000 base targa besides these parts:
Z51 suspension (Springs, rear sway bar, PS cooler) + F45 delete
Ride Tech single adjustable shocks
Strano 35mm hollow front bar
C5 Mag wheels (for B-Street)
18x10.5 OEM Z06 wheels with 285/30/18 Bridgestone RE71Rs (for CAM-S)

I’m probably going to try and track down some 799s or 243s and do a cam swap at some point, but I’m not too concerned about the power for now. The extra 2” of wheel (Stock is 17x8.5) on the front axle will help out alot.

Last edited by FlatBlack; 11-08-2018 at 08:29 AM.