Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Z06 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 exhaust

I originally got a Z06 exhaust for a cheap price on the Vett, and it felt like an improvement. Well the problem now is that I am kind of ankering for a muscle car sound that the Z06 exhuast doesn't give. My friend put a Hooker catback on his, and I love the freakin sound of it, and it is not that noticable when cruising but it gave one of the best sounding V8 grumbles I have heard on a Vett yet. I saw a dyno test on the Hooker exhaust and it showed about a 15hp and 15lb of torque increase through a large section of the rpm range with improvements of 22 to 25 hp and tq at different areas.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the Z06 exhaust would give on a coupe model like mine? If the hooker exhaust does not offer any more power and just the sound, I will probably just keep what I have on the vehicle. But if it gives more power, even as little as 5 hp across the board, and I get the sound, I will buy it. Just don't want to waste money on something that will not give more performance.

Appreciate the help.

Oh yeah, getting the Z06 tires this weekend, and should have the 3.15 rear today sometime. Hopefully with the 2800 stall and regear I can break into the 12's. Wish me luck!
Old 07-19-2004, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

lots of "catback" choices....the ZO6 catback is amongst the lightest, saving a few lbs over most systems. But hp difference is probably minimal from one brand to the next ... catback is namely sound difference. Figure out which one you think sounds the best, they do have different sounds, just don't expect any significant hp difference at "peak".... dropping the cats or adding longtube headers will make add some power under the curve...just don't expect to much from just catback.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

B&B i think has a new Ti exhaust system thats w/n 2lbs of the Z06s. But to me, the best sounding (altho somewhat pricey) C5 system is GHL. Its deep, and isnt raspy. Sounds really great. Heard it on an 02 Z and was seriously wowed @ how great it sounded.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are still running cats and have any plans to ditch them, keep what you have until you have a chance to hear it with no cats. There's a huge difference in sound.

Quick Reply: Z06 exhaust