Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New owner =)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking New owner =)

Sup yall...new guy checkin' in. Have an SS (up for sale) and moved to an '04 Torch Red Coupe. Just curious if there are any common things I could be filled in on??? I found the Zip-Tie mod, but have decided to adapt a twin-K&N scoop my dad had left over from his '99 FRC. First thing I noticed...do I have a larger MAF sensor then he does? And last but not least...what's been everyone's favorite mod? TIA!

Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/392531/4
Old 07-22-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Sup yall...new guy checkin' in. Have an SS (up for sale) and moved to an '04 Torch Red Coupe. Just curious if there are any common things I could be filled in on??? I found the Zip-Tie mod, but have decided to adapt a twin-K&N scoop my dad had left over from his '99 FRC. First thing I noticed...do I have a larger MAF sensor then he does? And last but not least...what's been everyone's favorite mod? TIA!

Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/392531/4
Congrats, Yes your MAF is larger. You have a LS6 intake and LS6 MAF w/screen (Z06 MAF has no screen), but your's is larger than a 99. I forget what year they changed the intake and MAF. Either 2000 or 2001. Headers and 3" x-pipe were my favorite mod. Don't need a cat back on the Z06, so I kept my stock titanium set up.

Dean
Old 07-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Launching!

The twin crap is just that" crap. Get A Vararam air intake and you will feel the power.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

How about gears? Any point in doing them? How would they be done with the trans-axle setup?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
How about gears? Any point in doing them? How would they be done with the trans-axle setup?
A lot of people aren't going to like what I am about to say, but this is JUST MY TWO CENTS.

Gears are a great mod, ESPECIALLY if you have an automatic. Gears and Torque Converter on an auto are a DRASTIC improvement. However, if you have a 6 speed by the time you're done paying for the gears and HAVING THEM INSTALLED, the PRICE difference isn't worth what you gain in accelleration, particularly when weighed against the loss of top speed and the drop in fuel economy.

IF THE COST OF GEARS IS A SERIOUS CONSIDERATION, I believe that you're better off paying a little more to put on the AFR mongoose head and the cam, PARTICULARLY if in your state you can get away with a less mild cam and the larger AFR heads.

Once you've done that, you can get a pair of Long Tube headers installed for cheaper than the differential swap and again realize more gain again. Consider the drastic power increase you will get from replacing stock headers when you have aftermarket heads (i.e. you gain more HP for swapping stock headers with aftermarket heads han you do when swapping with stock heads and the headers will move your entire power curve upwards noticably, again, especially with a head/cam package.

IF you can't do long tube headers (in other words, you live in Ca) then this may be a good time to look at the gears as shorty's don't realize near the gain. ESPECIALLY if you have an auto (don't forget torque thrust converter with that). BUT, if I had AFR heads/Cam and Long Tube headers, the next best bang for the buck is going to be a RAM air intake system (vararam, vortex, or haltech). Those heads will be dying to breath and from what you can get out of the ram air VERSES COST it is a better deal than finishing up the exhaust system. As a matter of fact, it may almost be worth doing before the headers except that aftermarket heads REALLY REALLY need proper headers to make power. There will also be a slight improvement in gas milage (the car is more effecient now).

To really make the headers shine, it is still a cheaper mod to add X pipe/cats/mufflers to the car and this will also improve gas mileage. (The car is more effecient now).

After all of these things, then I would be willing to pay for the cost and install of gears. UNLESS you consider that by now you definitely need a new clutch, and since you should replace the flywheel when putting in a new clutch - why not put in an aluminum flywheel and free up about 25 horsepower - again - this is much cheaper than the cost/install of gears and FOR THE MONEY is a better gain.

Again, in the case of the automatic, gears + torque converter is a much stronger argument. Gears would fall onto my list after all of those things were done.

Note: I have 3:73 gears on my 6 speed because I bought it with a broken tranny and the upgrade was the same price for me. The difference from 3:42 - 3:73 was less noticable than when I put on my vararam intake. GRANTED I do not have the more drag race worthy 3.90's or 4:11's.

AGAIN - the torque thrust/gears is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better mod for auto's and the thrust of this argument changes when making that consideration.

Also, I don't approach cars the way described above. I personally do Suspension first, then Intake/Exhaust and THEN do the heads and cam. Since my funds are somewhat restricted I take what is for me is a safer and more fun approach. I was just making a cost comparison idea. : )

Quick Reply: New owner =)