Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Top Gear (Brits are harsh!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Till
I already got all the extra cooling, bigger brakes, Penske coilovers, cage, race seats, etc.

Here a picture on the Nürburgring GP track, it's the yellow, white and black car:
http://213.69.169.20/privat/corvette...P/P2142021.JPG

I am not rich and bored enough to start with a new car anytime soon.

Till
Cool, nice car! It looks like you actually put your car through the paces. Not everyone does over here you know, and there are limited places to do so legally. Autocross can be a lot of fun though. I need to save up for some tires.
Do you have the FE4 suspension on your car or just different springs? The Z51 and FE4 have the same size sway bars, but that is where the similarities end.
You don't have to be rich here to own a new model Z06. I paid $42k for a used 04 with 1,000 miles! I have seen an 03 with around 2,500 miles for $38k! C5 prices are dropping due to the C6 coming out. Lots of good deals to be had.

Dean
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dean.

I bought the car used. It originally had the Z51 suspension, and they had added stiff Bilstein shocks and Hotchkiss sway bars. The handling felt very good and stable, up to the point where it actually mattered. Horrible understeer on corner entry. Shocks way too stiff, resulting in spinning out on corner exit if there was just the slightest bump in the road. Springs too soft, the wheels hit the wheel wells.

I ended up getting a coilover suspension, using Penske double adjustables.

If there wasn't the cost, I would highly recommend this conversion. Just going with the complete Z06 suspension is probably close in performance, and much less expensive.
Just don't go and get very stiff shocks, without getting fitting springs at the same time. If you are on a very smooth track you may get away with stiff sway bars instead of new springs.

Till

Quick Reply: Top Gear (Brits are harsh!)