Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Instead of the zip tie mod...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
When I go to ARE this Friday for dyno tuning I will see if they've got any Z06 airboxes there, as I know they've got a lot of takeoff parts lying around. I can probably buy it for a good price I'm sure.
I have a Blackwing on my car, so my stock Z06 lid is sitting in my garage. Should you choose to go with just a lid and K&N filter, I would be happy to sell you my lid for $20. But I believe the Blackwing and some front screens that are functional are the best way to go with a coupe. Mid America, Ecklers Corvettes, West Coast Corvettes, etc. all sell these parts.

Dean
Old 08-18-2004, 11:50 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about a modified stock C5 lid instead? And how come nobody makes an aftermarket upper lid for the C5 like they do for the f-body? It seems it would be a popular mod and then you wouldn't have to worry about getting water into the filter.

If you modify the lid enough, water would still be able to drip down on the filter. I have seen folks take a stock lid and just chop it full of holes the same result as just doing a zip-tie mod. The MTI system is actually taking air from a high pressure area, but won't look good on the dyno. The old Halltech system did also, but folks got freaked out about hydro-locking. Honestly, I wash my car with no hood seal, the filter sometimes gets a bit damp, but its not a big deal as far as I am concerned. If it was, I'd spend $5 on a hood seal, and call it a day. I'm not going to get into the airbox wars, if you want to read all about it, go look for old threads on Corvette forum.

Personally, I think most of the airbox stuff is just hype.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69Vette03
I have a Blackwing on my car, so my stock Z06 lid is sitting in my garage. Should you choose to go with just a lid and K&N filter, I would be happy to sell you my lid for $20.

Thanks for the offer but by the time I have it sent up here it'll cost me more than it would to just buy one up here. Hopefully ARE has one lying around that they'll give me for a few bucks.

Even if it's only worth a couple of horsepower, it'll give me more peace of mind to know that I can drive in all kinds of rainy weather and it shouldn't give me a problem, but yet it'll breathe better than the stock unit.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the offer but by the time I have it sent up here it'll cost me more than it would to just buy one up here. Hopefully ARE has one lying around that they'll give me for a few bucks.

Even if it's only worth a couple of horsepower, it'll give me more peace of mind to know that I can drive in all kinds of rainy weather and it shouldn't give me a problem, but yet it'll breathe better than the stock unit.
Buy the hood seal (front) and it will not let water get into the filter area from above. With the front grilles the water would come in below the filter, so that is not a problem either.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Um, Sorry to sound like an idiot, but whats the Zip Tie method?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 AM
LSK
Staging Lane

I drove from Chicago to Bowling Green in May in pouring rain with the ziptie mod and no problems happened. Since then I did the homedepot hood seal and I have nothing to worry about. Maybe if I have a lot of money laying around I will try a blackwing but for now I am putting my money to other things such as headers, intake, etc...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the factory clamps. I simply removed the factory metal straps and replaced them with shorter one made from wire ties. This allows for consistent pressure to the filter frame.

Here Mc Rat's car. They just wrapped the ties around the box. I re-used the factory hardware to allow you to change the filter. You can also see the hood seal below. Pretty simple all in all to add.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-21-2004, 03:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here is what I ended up doing. ARE found a Z06 airbox lying around, so they dremelled out the opening at the bottom a little bit more, and we put it on my car. The stock C5 airbox lid doesn't even have any kind of opening on the front of it! I am not sure how on earth it was supposed to breathe!

I'm not sure if it's giving me much horsepower or not, but you sure can hear the engine taking on more air now (you could clearly hear it on the dyno) So it definitely can't hurt. The K&N air filter that is on the car was completely spotless with the stock setup, so we'll see how dirty it gets now. Hopefully this won't hurt my silicon numbers in oil analysis.

And this mod was cheap, it only cost me $50 Canadian ($38 US)
Old 08-21-2004, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Patman just get a Blackwing. I had one on mine and it gained some good power. I have my old one I would send you for cheap if you werent so far.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So here is what I ended up doing. ARE found a Z06 airbox lying around, so they dremelled out the opening at the bottom a little bit more, and we put it on my car. The stock C5 airbox lid doesn't even have any kind of opening on the front of it! I am not sure how on earth it was supposed to breathe!

I'm not sure if it's giving me much horsepower or not, but you sure can hear the engine taking on more air now (you could clearly hear it on the dyno) So it definitely can't hurt. The K&N air filter that is on the car was completely spotless with the stock setup, so we'll see how dirty it gets now. Hopefully this won't hurt my silicon numbers in oil analysis.

And this mod was cheap, it only cost me $50 Canadian ($38 US)

Good deal. I would still get some front screens that are functional. You can either drill out your current facias and put the aftermarket screens over them, or buy the replacement facias with holes already in them. That way you will get cold air from outside, otherwise look at where it has to draw air from! Nothing but hot air from the engine compartment.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the front facias and screens...

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=2.12.597

Quick Reply: Instead of the zip tie mod...