Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LS6 or LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS6 or LS1???

I'm new to the forums. I'm looking to buy my first Vette, and not planning to leave it stock. Just wondering what the best platform to modify would be: Z06 or LS1? I know the price on the Z06 would be higher initially, but with the better breathing heads, it might respond well to forced induction and exhaust/header mods. The LS1 would have a lower initial cost, but would require more than just engine mods to reach the performance of the Z06. Also, any information on consumer preferred model years would be great.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

If your plans are to go full tilt, then getting coupe or FRC (fixed roof coupe. same bodystyle as the Z06 just no LS6, but has a 6 speed and Z51 suspension) would be a better alternative. If you're considring forced induction, i'd say get go the coupe/frc route and use the saved dinero on some 6.0L heads that'll drop your compression and give you fairly similar flow as the LS6 head (although there isnt an extreme difference between all the heads once they're ported).

And the 99/00+s are what most people will recommend.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
I agreed with you up to here... what about the fact that the 01+ have the LS6 intake manifold and no EGR?

Could be wrong...
Old 09-02-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats all well and good, but what reasons can you give him outside of the intake and EGR to justify spending more for an 01+? There's other alternative outside of the LS6 intake that make power so its not his only option, and being I dont know his plans, and have seen people before recommend the 99/00+s is the only reason I say that.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Teching In

C5's never had EGR.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
If your plans are to go full tilt, then getting coupe or FRC (fixed roof coupe. same bodystyle as the Z06 just no LS6, but has a 6 speed and Z51 suspension) would be a better alternative. If you're considring forced induction, i'd say get go the coupe/frc route and use the saved dinero on some 6.0L heads that'll drop your compression and give you fairly similar flow as the LS6 head (although there isnt an extreme difference between all the heads once they're ported).

I just recently bought a 99 frc. Amazing car. Suspension is another subject by itself. I personally do not find the "hatch" style that great looking.

To answer some of your questions from what I have seen. The Ls1 motor respondes better to the Giggle gas than a blower. Some people may argue that statement but from what I have seen and what most of the people who race thier F body or Vette at the track run giggle gas 9 out 10 times to a blower car.

Friend of mine who post on this board has a Z06 with long tubes and mid pipe. Stock cat back due to the fact they flow amazing and a blower. He puts down over 530 rwhp. The numbers are there and the power is unreal but how long is the durability.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info fellas!

Is your friend running a Magnacharger or something else?

I found a '99 6spd frc with LPE headers, Corsa Indy exhaust, larger 19" and 20" wheels and only 25600km (16000 miles). The guy only wants $35000 CND ($26600 USD). He says he originally wanted $42000, but lowered the price. It sounds a little fishy to me, and it would be a 5 hour drive to check it out. I might pass and spend the winter exploring some options and getting more feedback before I make a purchase.

Originally Posted by Crypt keeper
I just recently bought a 99 frc. Amazing car. Suspension is another subject by itself. I personally do not find the "hatch" style that great looking.

To answer some of your questions from what I have seen. The Ls1 motor respondes better to the Giggle gas than a blower. Some people may argue that statement but from what I have seen and what most of the people who race thier F body or Vette at the track run giggle gas 9 out 10 times to a blower car.

Friend of mine who post on this board has a Z06 with long tubes and mid pipe. Stock cat back due to the fact they flow amazing and a blower. He puts down over 530 rwhp. The numbers are there and the power is unreal but how long is the durability.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

there is just something special about a ZO6, complete package. But if considering coupe then from 01 newer the cars had a lot of little improvement mainly just driver friendly stuff and comfort...01 newer do have a few more hp from LS6 intake etc....if considering an A4 then make sure 3:15 gears and not 2:73....with modification all of them run better.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you definitely need to share your plans for the car to get an accurate opinion! If you are going to do H/C or more then save your money and buy a C5 FRC and use the $ you saved to make it a bad *** ride, on the other hand if you plan on driving the car on a road coarse or the likes it will end up coasting you more in the long run to match the complete package of the 02 and up Z06's performance from my first hand experiences..
Old 09-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Yes, you definitely need to share your plans for the car to get an accurate opinion! If you are going to do H/C or more then save your money and buy a C5 FRC and use the $ you saved to make it a bad *** ride, on the other hand if you plan on driving the car on a road coarse or the likes it will end up coasting you more in the long run to match the complete package of the 02 and up Z06's performance from my first hand experiences..

I'm not on a huge budget, so after looking around a little more last night, I'm thinking that I might look for an '02-'03 Z06. The price gap doesn't seem to be that large between the frc and the Z06 after they are a couple of years old. I would have to spend a little more money initially (probably not till next year now, as we seem to be heading to winter quickly up here this year!), but I think that I would be plenty happy with 405hp until I had the car paid off. My wife suggests a personal license plate that just says "INDEBT". Ha. Ha.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Nothing wrong w/ a Z. I wasnt trying to make you sway your mind towards a coupe/FRC. I think the Z is definatly one of the baddest all around cars ever built. But for most people that're wanting a "budget" C5 buildup, the coupe/FRC is a better alternative, and in some cases gives them a little bit more mod $$$ in their pocket so they can do those mods to "makeup" the difference between the Z and coupe/FRC.

And I think its a good idea to put off the purchase untill after winter. Unless you found one hell of a deal, the prices (hopefully) should only drop w/ more C6s on the way. So its not always a bad thing to wait.

Welcome to the board too, and keep the wave alive

Quick Reply: LS6 or LS1???