Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

HELP! Random error messages on dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Random error messages on dash

Bought a 2000 C5 on Monday, 25000mi Drove the car home and about 2 hours into driving around suddenly my car says reduced engine power and goes into "safety mode". now radio is off, windows wont roll down etc. Its flashing things like Low Fuel (which I had just filled up when I rolled it out of the lot) shocks inoperative, service engine. So im pissed and head towards the dealer I bought it from. I take off somewhat to fast and shift and all of a sudden the error messages change, radio pops back on, shocks inop goes away not it just says low fuel, service engine soon. Dealer looks at it shuts the car off turns it on, guess what no error message. So i get the usual well now that theres no error I cant really diagnose anything. So next day same thing only its too late to go to the dealer. I shut the car off for 10 minutes, messages are gone. I successfully made it through one day (yesterday) without the messages. Since I have to wait for it to happen to have anyone look at it (BS) has anyone experienced anything like this? I already checked the battery and its new so thats not it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. ARgh I just wanna enjoy my new car
Old 11-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Launching!

Mine is doing it right now. Ever since the window module went out all the way it has beend doing it. I shut the car off, turn it back on it's gone. However, the security light stays on the guages. I'm blaming mine on the module, because sometimes when I open the door the radio just comes on also. My battery has been getting drained at night and my alternator checked out fine. Sometimes after driving at night, I come back out to the car later and notice my guages are still lit up. It acts like it doesn't know when the door is shut or open. Today I opened the door to get out and the radio stayed on. Can't wait to get this problem fixed. If there is a short somewhere besides the module, I'm going to have to take it in and get it scanned.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:15 AM
12 Second Club

Did you buy from a dealer? If so go back... I would try Corvette specific site I.E. Corvettforum and post there. I had an electrical issue and was able to resolve it quickley from information received there. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go here and you will learn how to check your codes and see what they are. That way you will have a better idea of what is going on. That is the first step any dealer will take. Good luck and sorry to hear you have a problem.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtip...PC%20codes.doc
Old 11-05-2004, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Check battery and battery connections. A bad connection or failing battery will cause all thats been mentioned. Binderdundat three times.The earliier model C5s had the self setting alarms. controlled by a switch on your fob.I ran my battery down by walking around the house.My neighbor alerted me to the fact that my interior lights and alarm set parking lights were going off and on all night when I was awake.Every time I moved from the living room to the kitchen or bedroom and back to the living room the lights and alarm would cycle on and off.Dont drive for a couple of days and you cycle them hundreds of times.Please excuse my long winded explanation..
Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BCM could be causing problems too. check your codes while its messing up. luckily for you though its something that will clear itself and not cause the car to shut down completely. and yeah the dealer should have a 30 day type warranty on it especially if its a chevy dealer you bought it from. oh and while all this is going on get a car fax on the car. do that now dont wait. if you find something seriously wrong with it you should be able to trade it back in and get rid of it.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. The car is still under warranty through the dealer I bought it from and they well aware of the problem, already have it carfax certified. They are willing to fix whatever is needed, Im just trying to diagnose it myself instead of dropping my car off for them to mess up more. Theres a few good things I can check from your suggestions, The guys at corvetteforum.com also had a good idea in saying I should check to see if the AC drains are clogged, especially the one on the passenger side that has a tendency to clog and drip on the bcm. Well looks like ive got some inspecting to do tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Ill let you know the outcome.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

If it happens again, and you get to the dealer, have them hook up the Tech2 before you shut it off. It will tell them exactly what is acting up and all the trouble codes. Often a short will ocur and the voltage drop creates a miscommunication, get several of these at once and it goes into safety mode, shuts off all accessories and give you "limp home" power.

Quick Reply: HELP! Random error messages on dash