97’ back on the road after valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97’ back on the road after valve spring replacement

Some of you may remember my broken valve spring of late October:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...08#post2009008

Finally got some free time and replaced them starting with #6 in the pictures below. Also did valve seals as I put on PP's spring seats.
Thanks to the good old LISLE valve spring compressor/cyl. Air pressure line they are done without issue!
Seems to run fine, after a heat cycle we took it out for a spin, runs stronger than ever.
A few things I noticed different between the Pioneer & PP Gold springs:
Pioneer spring uses 3/16” dia. outer wire and near 1/8" inner and both seat & retainer are a slight interference fit on the spring
PP Gold uses 5/32” dia. outer wire and right at 1/8" inner, is 3/16” taller and has a looser fit for both the seat and retainer
I like that loser fit better as I noticed some galling on the Pioneer spring seats & retainers.
Funny thing…….both double springs weigh exactly 3 Ό oz each!
Time will tell but all should be well.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Restricted User

Non-stock spring...odd. I haven't read the other post but I imagine you have some mods done to reach 10's. What cam and what was the issue related to the spring breaking?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Non-stock spring...odd. I haven't read the other post but I imagine you have some mods done to reach 10's. What cam and what was the issue related to the spring breaking?
Here is all the info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/10-second-club/241961-my-10-second-info.html
Cam is .581 with 230s......I suspect a bad spring from day one, all the other plugs read great. This one was always black
Old 12-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Restricted User

No doubt, I like hearing about these things. There is always the exception to the rule. I also like the idea of tuning with plugs. So many people rely on their "electrical" means of tuning, i.e. - laptop, diablo, scan, etc....what ever happened to just looking at plugs? I still look at mine every once in a while, just to get an idea. I know from experience, sometimes "devices" aren't so accurate or lose their accuracy. It's good to have a back up method.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
No doubt, I like hearing about these things. There is always the exception to the rule. I also like the idea of tuning with plugs. So many people rely on their "electrical" means of tuning, i.e. - laptop, diablo, scan, etc....what ever happened to just looking at plugs? I still look at mine every once in a while, just to get an idea. I know from experience, sometimes "devices" aren't so accurate or lose their accuracy. It's good to have a back up method.
IMHO Dyno's just like a few other electronics are tools to use in getting the ultimate performance from a set-up and seeing if you are heading in the right direction. The plugs should look the same if in my 68' Camaro or 00' C5. Plug color NEVER LIES, OBII is great in helping get to the root cause of a problem quickly most times though.....I find both complement each other when used correctly!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allthrottle&nobottle
I suspect a bad spring from day one
Yup..upon a close inspection I found a small flatend spot on the inside 1/16" x 1/16" x .010" deep right next to the break.........

Quick Reply: 97’ back on the road after valve spring replacement