Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What is Competitive Driving????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What is Competitive Driving????

My friend told me one day that if u hold down on the traction control button, it shows on the screen "Competitive Driving" my friend told that its something u push when ur running at the track. anyways i want to know exactly what it does, so if any of u can help, i would gladly appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Mine allows for the rear wheels to not be traction limited, but the active handling will help the driver keep control in the corners. When I used mine in a corner and tried to purposly break the rear sideways it wouldn't let me by applying the brake to the wheel which will get a handle on the car. I hope that makes sense. If it does anything else, I don't know about it yet.
I've had my Z06 a week by the way, and just started pushing it's limits recently. I haven't found the cornering limit yet because this thing sticks hard. The only way I've got it out of shape was with heavy throttle in the corners.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Basically, it's traction control off, Active Handling on.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Through the use of speed sensors, yaw sensors, g-force sensors, brake pedal pressure sensors, throttle sensor, etc. the active handling determines through algorhythms whether or not the car is in a situation (usually from a hard switch back or cornering) that needs intervention to prevent loss of control. It then takes over and applies brakes to individual tires (inside tire on a corner, etc.). So in Competition Mode, the traction control is off and will allow you to spin the rear tires, but will take over if the car gets too far out of line. It's great when I want to play and down shift into second at 45-50 mph and my rear breaks loose and the car kicks sideways and I just stay in the gas because it won't let the rear swap ends. Try that in a f-body...LOL! I had to let up on a few occasions when I had my 99 SS or it would have swaped ends. Hope that helps you understand a little better. It will also allow you to drift in corners.

Last edited by Dean-o; 01-24-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard about that feature too, but I tried holding the button down and nothing appears in the display... maybe mine wasnt equiped w/ that yet...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Assassin
I've heard about that feature too, but I tried holding the button down and nothing appears in the display... maybe mine wasnt equiped w/ that yet...

I have it and I have a 99 frc as well. Stick the car in neutral and hold the traction control button down for about 10 seconds. It should appear in the little bar code where everything is displayed about your car.

I use traction control off during the 1/4 mile race. Anybody here use Comp mode in the 1320??
Old 01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Crypt keeper
I have it and I have a 99 frc as well. Stick the car in neutral and hold the traction control button down for about 10 seconds. It should appear in the little bar code where everything is displayed about your car.

I use traction control off during the 1/4 mile race. Anybody here use Comp mode in the 1320??
I haven't raced mine yet, but it would be a good idea to use comp mode on a slick riced-out track because these cars love to get squirrelly between gear changes. Comp mode would help keep a nice vette out of the wall possibly.
Some might say it's cheating.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1BirdDRG
I haven't raced mine yet, but it would be a good idea to use comp mode on a slick riced-out track because these cars love to get squirrelly between gear changes. Comp mode would help keep a nice vette out of the wall possibly.
Some might say it's cheating.
It's not cheating, it's insurance...LOL!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Competitive Driving is
...traction control off
...active Handling on

When you single press the button does that mean that
...traction control off ???
...active handling off ???
Old 03-18-2005, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Competitive Driving is
When you single press the button does that mean that
...traction control off ???
...active handling off ???
Yes.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Crypt keeper

Saved my butt....Car got way out of shape going into 3rd at the track (LACR)
It would have been all wall without Comp Mode for me I'm sure.
As for cheating, it's not hands off or fool proof...you still have to drive it and correct yourself........like Dean-o said just some "Insurance"
Old 03-20-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just wish there was a way to make it default to comp mode every time you start your engine.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Teching In

I just wish there was a way to make it default to comp mode every time you start your engine.

Their is a component you can buy that will do that. Don't remember the name but an sure you can find it on the net somewhere.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
My friend told me one day that if u hold down on the traction control button, it shows on the screen "Competitive Driving" my friend told that its something u push when ur running at the track. anyways i want to know exactly what it does, so if any of u can help, i would gladly appreciate it.
There is a part in the video if you got one that explains comp driving mode rather well
Old 03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's Laptrax, auto trac control off and comp mode on. I like it wired to the n2o arm switch, then only comes on when racing and rest of the time the safety of traction control is there.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2003torch
Their is a component you can buy that will do that. Don't remember the name but an sure you can find it on the net somewhere.

Does it say competitive driving on the guage?
I hate that

Originally Posted by PA Z06
There is a part in the video if you got one that explains comp driving mode rather well
Bought the car used. Didnt get a video.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Assassin
The older set-ups you have to stop to put it in CM, but newer you can do it on the fly. Also, laptrax has one that removes the Comp Mode on instrument panel for a little extra $$.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

When the Competitive Driving Mode appears in the Driver Information Center or DIC, you just hit your reset button and it clears the message without turing it off. Same with any other message like Check Gauges for low fuel, just hit reset and it clears the message. Kind of like an airplane.

joke - why do Vette drivers look at their DIC when their driving? LOL!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Active Handling was optional before 2001.

Cars without it will not be able to go in to competition mode.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dean-o
When the Competitive Driving Mode appears in the Driver Information Center or DIC, you just hit your reset button and it clears the message without turing it off. Same with any other message like Check Gauges for low fuel, just hit reset and it clears the message. Kind of like an airplane.

joke - why do Vette drivers look at their DIC when their driving? LOL!

Cool. Ill have to hit reset next time. Thanks

Quick Reply: What is Competitive Driving????