Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

???s to former Fbod owners that are now C5/Z06 owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had some crazy head-turning Ponchos over the last 7 years and the attention is equally matched with a bare bones C5....granted it's slammed with Z06 wheels...just shows that somewhat factory is still hotttt. Performance wise, i never upgraded the suspensions on my F-bodies and getting into my FRC for the first time on a twisty road was orgasmic. As stated above, it's a go-kart....with a V8 rumble. I wouldn't go back to an F-body at this point...the C5 is very self-explanatory once you start driving it. A month after i got it (last fall), I drove her to northern New Mexico on an 1800 mile round-trip. The comfort and legroom is amazing. You can extend your legs out below the pedals and even myself at 6'1 i didn't touch the well. Very relaxing, very smooth, no stupid rattles. Only downside, but me being in college doesn't help, is the cost of mods. Headers alone are twice as much even used. It's worth it though...the exhaust system and how it sits under the car is top notch...never have to worry about clearance. My side body panels sit lower than any other component under the car. Drive one...you won't look back.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

No comparison... the Vette beats the **** out of the F-body in every single way... Kind of a shame that when I put my cam-swap into my Vette, it might be faster than my 396-equipped 3870lbs Convertible Z28 was.

Mike
Old 03-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I own both and my preference is for my Trans Am. Better looks and easier to modify. The Vette has great visibility, is quieter, and its frame and layout are much better engineered. However, the F-car is a representation of my lifestyle. Loud music, loud exhaust, and in-your face styling.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Launching!

I thank everyone for their responses. I have been to the dealership several times since to look it over and have to say its definitely on my mind. I have always said after I bought my WS6 that there were two cars that I would trade my Bird in on, one being a 03/04 Cobra, the other a Z06. Late last summer I learned that I couldn't trade it on a new 04 Cobra. The Cobra, albeit very peppy, just wasn't comfortable enough to cruise in as well as a loss in the looks department compared to my pewter WS6.

My first impressions of this black on black Z ... spectacular! Very sleek, almost stealth like styling. Not as aggressive as the WS6, but what car is anyway? I like the interior of the C5/Z06 and I'm looking forward to test driving this car as every one of you have said. I'll post my findings and so on. Most likely I'll test drive Sunday. I thank everyone again for the replies.

One question though, are Z06s numbered/dated like WS6s/SSs/Hawks are?

SEMPER FI !
Old 03-04-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No they are not because they all come straight from Bowling Green and not SLP or ASC. Good luck with the test drive.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I went from z28 to c5 to a formula. The vette is a lot more money, but is nicer in many ways. The main difference is that the c5 will out handle the f-body. The chassis of the vette is a rock. The power is not much different, and i'm not sure my c5 would have taken either of my f-bodies. I think i had two strong f-bodies and a weak c5 though. All my cars were autos. I wouldn't have sold the vette, if it weren't for the money and the fact that I never had a garage to put it in. I lived in an appartment and I constantly worried about it getting damaged.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

who wants to bet he buys the Z this weekend LOL

If you dirve it you will buy it

JET
Old 03-06-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
LOL Well said, don't drive it unless your willing to buy it, because you will
TRUE!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

I have both 02 CETA M6 and 04 Z06 Z16.

For fun to drive the Z06 wins hand down. It has plenty of power. The car jumps off the line. Handles like a go kart. Never lets you down in performance.

For road trips I would say the TA. The car is heavier so you don't bounce around and feel every bump and dip in the road. Can't beat the T-Top unless you have a vert. The radio is a lot better. It is a lot quiter on the inside at cruise. I get better MPG. It also has a cd-changer!!

That's is why I have both. They make up for the lack of each other.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I owned three f-bodies (most current a 6-speed formula) before buying the vette. (11.0@127mph on motor with the formula)

IMO There is NO comparision between the vette and the f-body. Ride, handling, comfort are all MUCH MUCH much better in the vette.

Only downside is two seats. (Obviously makes family trips hard if you have kids LOL)

I LOVE my vette.

Chris

ps- I like the coupes better than the hardtops. For the price difference you can easily get a coupe faster than a Z06 and be perfectly reliable.

Last edited by CHRISPY; 03-07-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Well, Well, Well! How are you doing there Devil Dog! I am originally from Webster County and have spent alot of time running arround Charleston. My dad lives in Seth. Any way, I like you am a "Devil Dog", E5P to be exact. I am stationed at NSB Kings Bay in Southern GA and will soon transfer back to Camp Pendleton in a few months. Anyway, I use to own a 2002 Z28 that I had done everything to but a supercharger and I traded it in on a 2002 ZO6 EB/ModRed and I LOVE IT!!!! This car is totally different than the Z28. It's faster, handels way better, Shifts better, more comfortable (the seats support your head, not your neck) and is the greatest vehicle I have ever driven! Yea it's pricy but everything is now a day so you might as well get what you want. Insurance only went up $140 for 6 Months but I have a clean record. Anyway, I say if you can afford it, get it! It looks like a pretty good deal but go to the Chevrolet dealership and have them run the VIN# to see what problems if any have been noted. These are after all Production Race Cars and have more than likely been raced in the past. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

If you really think you'll miss the fresh air, get a C5 coupe, and put the money saved into a few mods. It will still handle better than the F-body, and almost run with the Z. The only time I drive my Z28 nowadays is if I need more than 2 seats, or if I'm leaving the car at the airport for a few days. In fact, I'm giving it to the kid for college this fall, and concentrating all my efforts on the vette.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 AM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by Mike Frey
If you really think you'll miss the fresh air, get a C5 coupe, and put the money saved into a few mods. It will still handle better than the F-body, and almost run with the Z. The only time I drive my Z28 nowadays is if I need more than 2 seats, or if I'm leaving the car at the airport for a few days. In fact, I'm giving it to the kid for college this fall, and concentrating all my efforts on the vette.
I agree, get a C5 Coupe & mod up the bad boy.

I gave my son two different Firebirds in high school that one he totaled (the other driver ran a stop sign) and the second he drove into the ground. I'm glad he's into PU Trucks, now.

Matt & his GMC 2500HD Sierra.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Default I just bought a new C6 --what mods should I make?

I bought a C6, victory red, with 1SA (keep it simple--HUD is expensive to fix down the road), w/Z51 and the grey competition wheels. Those are growing on me, I did not much care for them at first.

The car really moves! I haven't opened it up yet, but at 3/4ths throttle it is as fast as my heavily modified 2002 Formula Firehawk (no internals changes to the engine though). My first mods will be the Random Tech 3" exhaust and a different air intake.

Any ideas out there for what mods are best??? If you have dyno sheets I would love to see them and/or the links.

As far as the two, they are very different cars. I mis having the back seat, but then, I only have a daughter-15years old, left at home. My first daugher will be in college next year along with my year old son.

But, my Firehawk was unique. IT handled so much better then my 2000 Formula. I skipped the traction control this time, but the Firehawk suspension alone was golden! I also added Bilsteins and the Auburn High Torque Differential, along with SLP LT headers, 3" exhaust, dual Random Tech CATs, SLP Torque arm, SLP SFC, SLP drive shaft loop, SLP 85 mm MAF, Stealth Tech oversized (uses C5 K&N filter about 40% bigger), ram air ducting, BMR STB, BMR adj. Panhard bar, cooler thermostat and switch (never installed), SLP skip shift elim., QTP exhaust cutout, MagnaFlow CatBack, and much more.

I have a feeling I will miss it, but the new C6 Vette will help with the pain of loosing it to a stupid lady who ran a red light in a Toyota Camry! But, unfortunately, I found out I DID have something wrong with my back, I need another fusion, this will be the third! (But, I knew it--the pain was awful if I twisted, or stooped to pick something up). I think this will make them finally give me a reasonable offer for my car finally. It was 11/27/04 when it occured too. And, it was just leaving my own home development. There were at least 8 or 9 witnesses and ONLY 1 stayed! Without them, I would have been stuck! I am seriously considering installing a small camera in my car to log traffic events that occur around me. That seems nuts, but what else can you do these days?

I will miss my Firehawk, funny though, my son wants a ton of the parts to put on his 2000 Formula. He wants to make it look like a Firehawk! Why not? If I keep the bird, I will post WRECKED 2002 FIREHAWK, parts for sale. For now, it has to stay in storage intact, until this is resolved, according to my attorney.

JC
Former "Red02Firehawk"
Now "C6 Vette"
Old 03-11-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

It seems that everyone that drives a Z06 loves them. I was perfectly happy with my car untill I drove my freinds Z06. Next thing you know Im selling every mod I got and my car to buy a stock Z06. If you test drive one you will be buying one
Old 03-12-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Default Regrets? Maybe

I owned a 99'FRC before I traded it for my 03' ZO6. Any regrets? Yes, the 99'FRC would have 750hp right now for what I have spent on the Z overall.
The Z is a 50th Anniversary and no regret there 20 years from now.
Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
It seems that everyone that drives a Z06 loves them. I was perfectly happy with my car untill I drove my freinds Z06. Next thing you know Im selling every mod I got and my car to buy a stock Z06. If you test drive one you will be buying one
I'm sure 2muchrice agrees!

Last edited by zo6vetteman2003; 03-12-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: ???s to former Fbod owners that are now C5/Z06 owners