Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7
View Poll Results: Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?
Yes, because GM wants to keep the Corvette technologically advanced.
27.78%
Yes, because GM thinks that there is a market who is willing to pay at least $3,000 for the option.
14.81%
Yes, because it would optimize the Corvette's all-around performance.
14.81%
Yes, because I could have my cake and eat it too.
11.11%
No, because GM is too old-fashioned.
5.56%
No, because nobody would pay the extra money for the option.
20.37%
No, because there might be reliability issues with this type of gearbox.
14.81%
No, because everybody will be quick and fast at the dragstrip!
3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by H-5-L
I would say it's old news since theres already a c6 with paddle shift.Over on www.digitalcorvettes.com theres a whole story with pics of the car..

I'm also wondering what the big US push is for enviromentally safe cars is,the rest of the world pollutes the air so bad,were just a small part.From Irag,to Europe,to the US,were all in the same "bubble".The whole world needs to change.Ain't going to happen in our life time.

Sounds like you need to go and give a tree a big hug..
Old 11-25-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Hopefully, Dave Hill's successor, Tom Wallace, will put this DSG in the Corvette as soon as possible. Just imagine--your car's computer will shift quicker than any driver with a traditional manual and all you'll have to do is press the gas pedal. No missed gears. No additional drivetrain loss from a torque converter. And you'll still have the efficiency of a traditional manual transmission. I'm predicting that the DSG will replace both the automatic and the manual transmissions in the future.
I think you are missing out on a huge part of the fun of driving. If you have a 400 rwhp car that is an automatic anyone with a drivers license can just point the car and step on the gas. I think that if you spend some time working on improving your skill with a manual you will enjoy driving. I am not saying this as if I am a master of the manual transmission. I do enjoy dropping the hammer every now and then but the best part of my commute has always been rowing through the gears.
James
Old 11-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Here's a review of a dualclutch sequential shifter :

What’s fascinating about the Veyron is the ease with which it can be driven. A fast drive in an Enzo is highly entertaining, but the same speed in the Bugatti leaves the driver more relaxed. And in comparison with the 6-speed manual gearbox and racing clutch in the Carrera GT, the Bugatti driver will be glad to have the twin-clutch DSG system. It shifts with lightning speed in manual mode, yet operates so smoothly in full automatic mode that shifts can hardly be detected—the rising and falling of the engine note is your only clue.

Sounds like it would be cool in a vette ..

Cost for the corvette should be equal to the automatic transmission option with the benefits of DSG. (cost based on approximately what Audi charges for the DSG over the standard manual transmission)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Teching In

BMW's SMG transmission in the current M3 has a lot more problems than current M3s with conventional manual transmissions.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dual clutch sequentials like Audi's and Vw's (soon to be porsche Twin turbo) are far superior to the single clutch units including BMW's.

Its just an inherent design limitation in the single clutch that the dual clutch does not have that makes it so much better.....both in manual selection and automatic mode ...add in the fact there is less drivetrain loss like there is with a torque convertor automatic and the fact that the driver can switch gears with a directness that is not in an automatic torque convertor type tranny...

Then go for the fastest shifting speed with dual clutch sequentials over singles and its a no brainer.

Will the corvette get this DSG type tranny? I beieve yes............but when? Probably a long time. (5 years?)
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the dead shall rise again.....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy old thread batman
Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I voted today and voted for this.
No, because everybody will be quick and fast at the dragstrip!

LOL!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Why bring this old thread back ?

Quick Reply: Do you think that the Corvette will ever get an F1-style gearbox?