Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 Active Handling and Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Active Handling and Traction Control

Two questions here. How many of you like the C5 Active Handling feature? and How many of you like the stock traction control system? I have heard some complaints on the system, and would like some honest opinions.

thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with either one of the systems IMHO..you can have all of it on or all of it off..or you can go to competitive driving mode and have the TC off and the active handling on...I like the CD mode..the car is very EZ to drive fast..but like anything else you can get one side ways..the AH can save your a$$..but if you have large cods you can turn it all off and let it all hang out if you have the driving skills....it is nice to have those options available to you..
Old 09-20-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing wrong with either one of the systems IMHO..it is a lightweight car and it has plenty of torque on hand..in wet weather the TC and AH are nice to have ...you can have all of it on or all of it off..or you can go to competitive driving mode and have the TC off and the active handling on...I like the CD mode..the car is very EZ to drive fast..but like anything else you can get one side ways..the AH can save your a$$..but if you have large cods you can turn it all off and let it all hang out if you have the driving skills....it is nice to have those options available to you..
Old 09-20-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

I filled out the paperwork and sent in the deposit today. Thanks steve.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate both T/C and A/H. Both are too sensitive and will not allow the driver to drift the car at all (even in Comp. mode). It’s very disconcerting to attempt to drift your car around a nice sweeping corner only to have the A/H activate and send you straight toward the inside guard rail. I always turn it off as soon as I start the car.

My car (2000 C5) has the 1st generation A/H. I have heard that the 2nd generation A/H allows a little more freedom. Still I wouldn’t want it. For the most part it’s just a Band-Aid for poor driving skills.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

When I first drove the car I used to use competitive drive mode. I like the idea of the active handling saving my bacon. As I put more and more miles on the car I found the active handling kicking in too much. I of course was trying to swing the rear end out. I now drive it all the time with the system off.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MGorman
I hate both T/C and A/H. Both are too sensitive and will not allow the driver to drift the car at all (even in Comp. mode). It’s very disconcerting to attempt to drift your car around a nice sweeping corner only to have the A/H activate and send you straight toward the inside guard rail. I always turn it off as soon as I start the car.

My car (2000 C5) has the 1st generation A/H. I have heard that the 2nd generation A/H allows a little more freedom. Still I wouldn’t want it. For the most part it’s just a Band-Aid for poor driving skills.

The first gen AH was not as good as the 2nd gen AH..but if you are a very good driver either AH will hinder your high performance driving technique..
Old 09-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Conversion master

For the average Joe that doesn't race, the AH seems like a good idea. I am considering the idea of retrofitting the complete system to my 1970. I have it all figured out electrically but have yet to decide if I really want it or not.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Teching In

I've only had my car for 3 weeks - when AH first kicked in, it startled me and I lifted. Now I know to keep my foot in it. It is a little conservative (I have first gen), but it really can save you. I would never use it on a race track - at least a safe racetrack. Public roads - definately - too many places to really total your car if you slide off.

Also, seems to me unless you really mess up, AH will save it. All my experience with AH is speeds under 50. not sure how it responds in the high speed stuff like 100 plus.... I'd guess just fine though

Anyone know if you can update 1st gen to 2nd? Only software or is there additional hardware in gen 2?

oh, also found that I really don't care for the traction control - just seems to slow you down way too much... just use your foot...

also also, I've only had AH kick in during oversteer conditions - not sure how it performs in understeer conditions
Old 09-22-2005, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

My active handling kicks in if i punch it and it starts to spin and it applys the brakes to the front left brake. It scares the heck out of me I am looking into disabling it right now. It has done this to me at over 60 mph, what a feeling! I am ordering the device from a magazine that lets you turn it all off.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by David Gordon
My active handling kicks in if i punch it and it starts to spin and it applys the brakes to the front left brake. It scares the heck out of me I am looking into disabling it right now. It has done this to me at over 60 mph, what a feeling! I am ordering the device from a magazine that lets you turn it all off.

Push the button on the consol it will turn it off
Old 09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MGorman
Still I wouldn’t want it. For the most part it’s just a Band-Aid for poor driving skills.
I totally disagree. It's saved my *** when I was going around a turn and a deer jumped out. Also, it could come in hndy if you ever hit a bump, pothole, etc.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MagikMan
I totally disagree. It's saved my *** when I was going around a turn and a deer jumped out. Also, it could come in hndy if you ever hit a bump, pothole, etc.
It works well for some people in some situations. This sounds like one of those situations.

The problem is that if you are very used to driving without A/H, when it activates it can counter your learned corrective inputs and actually cause you to wreck, because the car is behaving in a different manner due to the A/H, and your learned, ingrained responses are now incorrect. With a lot of practice I’m sure you could relearn how to drive with A/H, but then if you drove any car without A/H you would not be able to handle it correctly.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Nothing wrong with either one of the systems IMHO..you can have all of it on or all of it off..or you can go to competitive driving mode and have the TC off and the active handling on...I like the CD mode..the car is very EZ to drive fast..but like anything else you can get one side ways..the AH can save your a$$..but if you have large cods you can turn it all off and let it all hang out if you have the driving skills....it is nice to have those options available to you..
IMHO, the AH is a great feature on the C5.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Launching!

it's true I believe on new vehicles it saved about 60%+ or more from accidents, then again people in new cars can't drive IMO
Old 09-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Formerly MagRedC5

Originally Posted by seabirdak
it's true I believe on new vehicles it saved about 60%+ or more from accidents, then again people in new cars can't drive IMO
OMG, I guess that means people in new cars won't be able to qualify for the next Indy 500.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I actually like the active handling. Its saved me a few times. The traction control just sucks. Im about to buy a laptrax to fix it.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Teching In

I use TC and AH on the street , but turn it all off on the roadrace track. I love it on my '02 Z06 because it the system really works well.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

ok I know how to turn it all off or all on but how do you just turn off TC and not AH. and can you set the car to allways be a certain way.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Hold down the A/H button for five seconds and viola- competitive driving mode

Quick Reply: C5 Active Handling and Traction Control