Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Sleeper Z06 plans, time to mess with some cobras

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i dont exactly think 400hp is needed to remain a powerful sleeper, Get full suspension and a good set of Nitto's and you'll have enough take off to blow there ***'s away, not to mention any Z06 will run like a striped ape with a 1.6-1.7 60ft time. Thats really all you need, if anything else, go waste your money and buy a sneaky pete.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

If your running people that are going to really look to see whats stock? Then I guess somebody who knows might see them...

For the average person on the street ...whose driving along side...No bodies going to know...

I don't think anyone knows whose driving along side...or parked and even with the hood open sees my headers..

Its not that obvious...and neither is the 224/224 114lsa cam I have either..

I'd say my set up is a sleeper set up...with the titanium cat back exhaust.

Just has a little extra omph when I put the pedal down...

Not if your racing for money and the experienced guys are looking to make sure your stock...Well thats a whole nother story......
Old 10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JBsC5
Not if your racing for money and the experienced guys are looking to make sure your stock...Well thats a whole nother story......
Actually its not 'a who nother story' its the story everyone else is discussing and the topic of this thread Thanks for joining us.

Good ideas with the portmatching and 3.73s. What exactly do they have in suspension for the C5? I havent seen anything but coilovers and I dont think those are necessary. I can pull 1.70s in this car on a good surface it has brand new Supercar F1s.

Great ideas guys, what do you think about the cheaTR versus a GT2-3 versus rockers? What about a GT2-3 WITH rockers?

Keep 'em coming.

PS When you're used to a mid 9 second bike a stock Z06 is slow as **** IE why I think it can be a sleeper especially with 500rwhp+ street cars becoming the norm.

Last edited by SDC; 10-25-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

The only advice I can share with you is how to make your car sound like a solid-roller BBC.

I think you can hear my car from about 3 blocks away.

Mike
Old 10-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Have you thought of having the exhaust manifolds extruded honed and matched to the exhaust ports on your heads? I've read about some guy with a late 70's vette with the factory extrude honed manifolds, he used his car for the same thing you're doing, surprising people!! His car was also a low 9 sec. car and looked entirely stock inside and out and I mean ENTIRELY STOCK, right down to the factory air cleaner assembly and factory tires(which happened to be cheater slicks) and he made $$thousands$$ street racing against some serious cars.
I would definately get a cam, Lingenfelter GT2-3 or look at some of the stealth cams that MTI has. I would also get a set of heads to go with the cam, if your worried about them having something machined on the front of the heads, just have it removed or put a billet dress up plate over it. Have your TB ported, do every thing you can do to help traction and put some drag radials on it. With the amount of people running drag radials out there, I doubt their going to think much about them if everything else on the car "appears" to be stock. Remember alot of these cobras are running 450-500 rwhp, their not gonna worry to much of a ZO6 thats only supposed to be making 360 rwhp, plus if your making well over 400 horse youre gonna need to put it to the ground. If you want to get creative hook a nitrous system up and hide every single line and fitting there is, or if you want to really jerk them around just hook it up normally with everything in plain site, hide your bottle somewhere as well as the lines that run to it and buy a spare bottle mount it in plain site with lines running to it and just leave it unplugged. Simply tell your unsuspecting victim that it's not hooked up.

Have fun, get creative with this project and go kick some cobra ***.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
125HP shot of N2O!
what he said!!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered a set of Patriot ls6 style heads with no logo. They can do that for you if you want.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

id go with ported ls6 heads.. small cam.. underdrive.. ziptie mod*still technically stock* gears 3.90's or 4.11's no way for anyone to know if you have them. and some nice sticky tires.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Var
On The Tree

I really dont get why you'd mod your car this way. It takes the fun out of it IMO.

What you need is

ported LS6 heads
ported tb
supermild cam on a 114
rockers
x-pipe
gears
100 dry shot N2O

unless they cheated like you are, there's noo way you should lose.

This is the way you should really do it though
Ported LS6 heads
Ported TB
MAF
Fast 90/90
LG headers no cats
stock Ti catback
F13 cam w/supporting valvetrain
zip tie mod
3:73's
100 dry shot
pulleys
electric water pump

Old 10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't hear the mti stealth 2 cam and it makes good power, like the other guys said get a ud, port you tb, rockers are pretty worthless imo, and if you want you can port your heads.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are the mods of the guys you are racing, what will you be racing from roll or a dig, also remember the weight difference they have some heavy pigs.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

in all honestly, i am not real sure of your intentions..but a 383-402 could be completely unnoticeable to even the best of eyes. even if you kept the factory exhaust i am sure that a 402 with a 224 cam(or smaller) with all of the above mentioned things would probo be mid 4xx hp.
i personally feel that it depends on how far you want to take it...

Louie
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
A local customers '02 Z06 is making 380 rwhp with CAI, TB bypass and a very, very good tune. I think 410 would be easy with a cam.

Also, '01YellowZ06 - what is the black C6 picture? Is that a photoshop or is the car actually lowered that much?

Yeah it is a photoshop, but those are the rims I am planning on putting on my C6. I will probably lower it but not that much.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skip the rockers. You dont want to use HD springs and end up with more noise. That will be a clue that something has changed under the hood.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 01'YellowZ06
Yeah it is a photoshop, but those are the rims I am planning on putting on my C6. I will probably lower it but not that much.

Ooooh, I was going to say it looks like it's back-halved with wheel tubs. Those wheels look good !
Old 10-28-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

SDC, I am looking to do the same exact thing not only to be stealth on the street but also b/c my car is under warranty for 4 more years and lets say the rear goes out or something and I wanted it replaced under warranty, I don't want them to even know I have internal work done. What I am looking to do is a stealth H/C package + Vram and leaving exhaust 100% stock.

My heads and vararam are already ordered and on the way. The problem is picking the cam. Here is the problem with "stealth" cams like the cheatr and MTI stealth cams....they have high lift & agressive rates and you need a heavy duty spring and this combo = a good amount of valvetrain noise making the motor sound like a "sewing machine." Everyones worried about if they see marking on the heads or the manifolds etc etc, well whats more obvious than hearing all that valvetrain noise! Anyhone with any kind of clue popping the head, or maybe not even needing to pop the hood is going to hear all that racket and know the car is cammed.

So what I want to find is a cam that will sound stealth BOTH out the exhaust AND at the engine bay. Considering a TR 224 on a 114, but I still thank that will be too detectable even through 100% stock exhaust.

From what i understand the main thing that causes the valetrain noise is HD springs. My heads come with Patriot duals and I think I am going to need to switch to a basic 918 single spring and find a cam with a mild lift. Hopefully this will make it sound as stock at the engine bay.

But I think H/C, vararam (you can get them on Corvette forum for $310 shipped with the NEW improved filter right now) and tune is the way for you to go....If we can find that magic cam that will truly sound stock but still get us more power.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
SDC, I am looking to do the same exact thing not only to be stealth on the street but also b/c my car is under warranty for 4 more years and lets say the rear goes out or something and I wanted it replaced under warranty, I don't want them to even know I have internal work done. What I am looking to do is a stealth H/C package + Vram and leaving exhaust 100% stock.

My heads and vararam are already ordered and on the way. The problem is picking the cam. Here is the problem with "stealth" cams like the cheatr and MTI stealth cams....they have high lift & agressive rates and you need a heavy duty spring and this combo = a good amount of valvetrain noise making the motor sound like a "sewing machine." Everyones worried about if they see marking on the heads or the manifolds etc etc, well whats more obvious than hearing all that valvetrain noise! Anyhone with any kind of clue popping the head, or maybe not even needing to pop the hood is going to hear all that racket and know the car is cammed.

So what I want to find is a cam that will sound stealth BOTH out the exhaust AND at the engine bay. Considering a TR 224 on a 114, but I still thank that will be too detectable even through 100% stock exhaust.

From what i understand the main thing that causes the valetrain noise is HD springs. My heads come with Patriot duals and I think I am going to need to switch to a basic 918 single spring and find a cam with a mild lift. Hopefully this will make it sound as stock at the engine bay.

But I think H/C, vararam (you can get them on Corvette forum for $310 shipped with the NEW improved filter right now) and tune is the way for you to go....If we can find that magic cam that will truly sound stock but still get us more power.
One solution would be to get a cam under .550 lift and you can use stock 02+ Z06 springs. LPE actually sells the GT2-3 WITH 02+ Z06 springs and says they have had no problems even though I believe that cam is .575 or greater.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Launching!

What do you have to hide? Just get a head and cam package and call it good.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Var
On The Tree

Originally Posted by seabirdak
What do you have to hide? Just get a head and cam package and call it good.

he wants to cheat people out of money
Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pray
I would go with a cheater cam, ported LS6 heads, ported TB, UD, Painted FAST intake, 160 stat, Vararam, and a good tune. Your stock Z06 exhaust has been proven to flow enough air for 600rwhp. Granted that was with a supercharger, but that proves it can make some power. 420rwhp should be with in reach sounding compleatly stock. Just my 02.

A painted fast intake wont look stock. It says fast right on the top/front of the intake.

Quick Reply: Sleeper Z06 plans, time to mess with some cobras